hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Arghh !!! Site5.com too much downtime....

Forum Jump

Arghh !!! Site5.com too much downtime....

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2000, 12:37 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Angry

What is with this host ? your site is pretty much guarenttedd to go offline for atleast 2-3 hours a day !! incredible !!
Dont they have a 99.9% uptime policy or something... because I couldn't find it any where...
Well other than that, its great .

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2000, 01:04 PM
Vlad Gil

Lightbulb

Hi,
They do have uptime policy but they do not any refunds or anything.
Vlad Gil

Old 05-15-2000, 01:26 PM
Chicken

heh, what exactly is that uptime policy good for then? NO HOST can guarantee you 99.9% or 99.5% uptime. What they can guarantee, is that they will refund some of your monthly if that % isn't met. Really, that is about it. If your site goes down, it goes down and no 99.9% promise will change that.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2000, 02:36 PM
Vlad Gil

Hi,
I'm that sure on the policy but I'm moving to Hostaway as soon as possible they have great uptime record and offer alot of features. Actaully as I've just searched the web site I've found that they have removed their uptime policy it is no longer there. When I originaly signed up with them in Sep. 1999 they had a great uptime and were able to offer such policy, but now it's not there.
Vlad Gil

Old 05-15-2000, 02:37 PM
Vlad Gil

What I meant was that I'm NOT sure on the policy.
Vald Gil

Old 05-15-2000, 04:01 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Angry

well Anyway I see up time towards the host as bill paymeant towards the coustomer. I Iam late paying the bills, I get my service cutt-off, so what should be done about the host ? I mean this is ********, I can run a hosting company as well and have your site off line 50% of the time, if I do should I expect 100% of the pay ?

Also how come site5.com never goes down when its hosted dites are offline ? whats up with that ? That is so lame....

Old 05-15-2000, 06:30 PM

Lightbulb

Hi,
I've been told by Site5 that their site is hosted on completely different server then everyone else. Also yesterday they have removed telnet access for no reason.

------------------
Sincerely,
Vlad Gil

[This message has been edited by Vlad Gil (edited 05-15-2000).]

Old 05-15-2000, 07:17 PM
PCISD

You told me over ICQ you would rather have downtime then pay for bandwidth.
Why are you even worred about it or not happy about it then?

I do not understand..........

Old 05-15-2000, 08:15 PM
Greg

These people aren't happy unless your hosting them on a dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth for free.

Let them bounce around from one cheap host to another for a while, maybe they will see the light when they grow up.

Quote:
Originally posted by PCISD:
You told me over ICQ you would rather have downtime then pay for bandwidth.
Why are you even worred about it or not happy about it then?

I do not understand..........

Old 05-15-2000, 09:14 PM
PCISD

:-)

Old 05-15-2000, 10:02 PM
bg

Hmm, believing in a guaranteed 99.9% uptime by a host - Isn't that like believing mother nature will never rain on the day you plan to have a picnic?

Old 05-15-2000, 10:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

I don't know what is your current host, but if you calculate it this way, 99.9% uptime give you host approximately 10 minutes downtime per week

Now, I know that several of our servers haven't gone down fore several weeks, while some other had a reboot in the last week.

It isn't that hard to keep a server up if:
- You know how to configure it
- You know how to solve problems online
- You are not running NT

Of course, some hosts just went in the business without any knowledge because they smelled some cash. Others know what theya re doing and are doing it because they like it. I can't say those hosts are better, because I would say that we are the best :p

Anyway, in general, you shouldn't generalize your bad experiences... I knkow some hosts are bad, I had some before... but some stands out of the crowd and offer good services.

------------------
[Félix C.Courtemanche | Web Designer]
[Head Designer | Co-Admin]
[webmaster@can-host.com]
[Can-Host Networks | http://can-host.com ]

Old 05-19-2000, 06:30 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg:
These people aren't happy unless your hosting them on a dedicated server with unlimited bandwidth for free.

Let them bounce around from one cheap host to another for a while, maybe they will see the light when they grow up.

Listen pal, I pay my bills in full. The least a host can do is give me the stated service! Oh and I much rather have SOME downtime than pay for more bandwdith, but when it comes to being offline 2-3 hours a day, well thats just insane.
and Oh PCISD, my site was down for over 21 hours striaght with you people, what are you bragging about ? And you also ignored me when I asked my account be fixed, your just as bad on downtime as site5, plus your on crappy 1/8 T1 lines !!! it takes forever to pages to load !

Old 05-22-2000, 11:45 PM

Thumbs up

Nukem, I feel your pain...Downtime is a true pain in the tuch! I remember when I used to consult for Web clients and was always searching for a reliable Web host....what another pain in the a--! So I decided to start operating my own Web hosting service..

I would love to talk to you about Volt Host...

I think you will find our servers very reliable for your needs. We have redundant triple T3 and multiple T1 lines directly connected to GTE (Nap.net) and UUNET's Internet backbones. Apache 1.3.4 over Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Unix) based Dual Pentium II 500mhz servers with 1GB of RAM..........

Visit: http://www.volthost.com
Or eMail: info@volthost.com

Old 05-23-2000, 01:18 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Arrow

Thanks man , but no thanks, Site5.com promissed that they will have no more downtime, and I must say they have done a good job of keeping their promise so far. Ummm well Site5.com offers more stuff for the buck than you do, plus I have already payed them for 3 months so, I will probably stay.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Bluehost, HostGator Among EIG Brands Hit by Massive New Year's Eve Outage Web Hosting News 2013-12-31 16:59:34
5 Hidden Problems with Cloud SLAs Blog 2013-12-02 09:47:41
Pingdom Back up After Saturday Outage Web Hosting News 2013-01-12 15:48:19
Amazon Analysis Shows Software Bugs Lengthened AWS Weekend Outage Web Hosting News 2012-07-03 11:11:30
Facebook Says Minor Outage Not Caused by Anonymous Hackers Web Hosting News 2012-06-01 15:25:42