CDN clarification

I just need a clarification here.

When i purchase a CDN traffic, how exactly does it work?
    Do i store my media files on my server or i have to store the media files with the CDN provider?

If someone has for example 500GB of storage media files, what is best if one needs a CDN? Will i need to pay for storage and then traffic when using CDN? or can i pay for only traffic if i host my media files?
    mission critical!

Hello nokia3310,

The easy way to think of CDN is like it is a CACHED copy of your website. Everything still remains on your website but... when someone is using that CDN to connect instead of direct connecting to the server, then the CDN server will check if it is the latest stuff or not. If it is, then for the 1st time, it will cache everything on their server. After that, when another person request again, they will check and if it's the same, the cached copy will be sent to the person requesting it.

So if your site or media is static, then all is good and well. But if your things are Dynamic and changing every hour or so, then the CDN would basically act as a proxy only. It won't be much use because everytime the viewer asks for something, the CDN server will have to pull from your server and put it in their server and then send it to the client.

Hope you understand a bit more about CDN. As for 500GB, I have not heard of anything this big yet so I guess I wouldn't know what the procedure might be.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

You can choose the CDN plan based on your requirement, if you want to store large media/video files you better choose CDNs like hddn.com
    IBEE Hosting
    ------------------
    Dedicated Servers in India | Google Apps Reseller

Quote Originally Posted by aodat2 View Post
    Hello nokia3310,

The easy way to think of CDN is like it is a CACHED copy of your website. Everything still remains on your website but... when someone is using that CDN to connect instead of direct connecting to the server, then the CDN server will check if it is the latest stuff or not. If it is, then for the 1st time, it will cache everything on their server. After that, when another person request again, they will check and if it's the same, the cached copy will be sent to the person requesting it.

So if your site or media is static, then all is good and well. But if your things are Dynamic and changing every hour or so, then the CDN would basically act as a proxy only. It won't be much use because everytime the viewer asks for something, the CDN server will have to pull from your server and put it in their server and then send it to the client.

Hope you understand a bit more about CDN. As for 500GB, I have not heard of anything this big yet so I guess I wouldn't know what the procedure might be.

I see what you mean...but lets go with specific examples

http://www.webappers.com/ uses maxcdn CDN and i checked and their images are stored on their own server http://maxcdn.webappers.com/img/2011...box-shadow.jpg

webappers.com is hosted in web host(dream host) and maxcdn.webappers.com is hosted with maxcdn(mzima networks)

the images are not stored with the CDN so are the images static?
    Last edited by nokia3310; 04-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    mission critical!

If you want to keep your files on your own server and save on storage costs, find a CDN provider that supports origin pull.

You need origin pull to keep files in your server and do not pay the CDN provider for storage, your files will be cached in the server, however if you have a real low trafficked website, it's not likely that your file is cached there for long. But overall origin pull is more suitable for small files, maybe less than 1MB?

If you have large files, then storing in their servers for better performance.

You've got 2 types: 'origin pull' and 'push'

The type that's best for you will depend on how often your files are updated, how often they are requested and other usage requirements.

If they are not updated often then they would be fine being hosted on your hosting, and then requested by the CDN edge nodes when a refresh is needed (pull method). This would save you paying for storage, but if you're talking about a lot of traffic then push could be best as this would save your server from serving any requests at all. There's quite a few things to think about before deciding which method to go with.
    Accelerated Hosting - From Constant Internet
    Automatically serving your website from the nearest server
    Get hosted on our global network! America / Europe / Asia

Quote Originally Posted by wheimeng View Post
    You need origin pull to keep files in your server and do not pay the CDN provider for storage, your files will be cached in the server, however if you have a real low trafficked website, it's not likely that your file is cached there for long. But overall origin pull is more suitable for small files, maybe less than 1MB?

If you have large files, then storing in their servers for better performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CI-Andrew View Post
    You've got 2 types: 'origin pull' and 'push'

The type that's best for you will depend on how often your files are updated, how often they are requested and other usage requirements.

If they are not updated often then they would be fine being hosted on your hosting, and then requested by the CDN edge nodes when a refresh is needed (pull method). This would save you paying for storage, but if you're talking about a lot of traffic then push could be best as this would save your server from serving any requests at all. There's quite a few things to think about before deciding which method to go with.

Okay what scenario is this website iconfinder.com? origin pull or push zone?
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    Okay what scenario is this website iconfinder.com? origin pull or push zone?
    You can't really tell as an end-user.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    If you want to keep your files on your own server and save on storage costs, find a CDN provider that supports origin pull.

+1. Origin pull ftw!
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    You can't really tell as an end-user.
    Really? with subdomain with main domain, isn't that enough to tell?

cdn1.iconfinder.com/data/icons/Hand_Drawn_Web_Icon_Set/128/basket_edit.png
    mission critical!

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    Really? with subdomain with main domain, isn't that enough to tell?

cdn1.iconfinder.com/data/icons/Hand_Drawn_Web_Icon_Set/128/basket_edit.png
    You can't tell based on that.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.