Thumbs down The ABSOLUTE worst hosting transfer experience EVER: HOSTGATOR!!! [merged]

Where do I start?

We had been outgrowing our current host for one of our sites and decided to move to a "Business" plan on HostGator. They told me they can handle the transfer... I asked MANY MANY MANY question and then even asked for them to look over things and make sure.

Well... It's been well over a week since the "Transfer" and I've had to remind them of the MOST BASIC things, like my SSL needed to be moved too (duh), and that I needed the dedicated IP (as is included with the plan)...

You would think that's bad enough? NO WAY! I'd be happy if that was all it was. I have been doing battle with countless "techs" for days about getting FrontPage to work. Since they can't just do the extensions the mindless way via cPanel (custom .htaccess file) they just can't get it to work.

First they tried to tell me that the dns server had to fully propagate (which is BS since I have a dedicated IP), then they had a few other excuses... and still nothing.

I mean, this should be a super-simple thing... what the heck am I suppose to do when something that is actually complex is needed or happens?

The best I can figure is that HostGator is more of a "hobby" host (like a toy or something) and not for people that actually feed the families of their owners and their workers.

I see billboards for HostGator and lots of banners and marketing... but at this stage in the game I would HIGHLY recommend you stay AWAY from HostGator.

I'm totally screwed now as I've done the DNS and I need it to be stable. But I can tell you, think twice and think hard about hosting anything that you REALLY need to work. Their service and support is all an empty suit. The sound like they know what they're doing, but when push comes to shove. No.

I wish I had remembered that I had an account here sooner!

Pete
    Last edited by CrazyPete; 04-23-2011 at 10:26 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPete View Post

The best I can figure is that HostGator is more of a "hobby" host (like a toy or something) and not for people that actually feed the families of their owners and their workers.

I see billboards for HostGator and lots of banners and marketing... but at this stage in the game I would HIGHLY recommend you stay AWAY from HostGator.
    Do you really think your one bad experience is enough to make such a broad condemnation? It's kind of like hating a multi-national corporation because one clerk had a bad day. There are a lot of customers having good experiences with HostGator, and probably others who are not. That is true about every host on the Internet. If you are going to overreact like this, all the time, people will just think you are living up to your username.

Shaw
      0 Not allowed!

LOL. I would have thought the same as you, however, when you get one or two people who don't know what they are talking about, I'd agree. But so far I haven't found a SINGLE PERSON there that can help resolve the issue.

It is one lie after another. If you think that's overreacting, I don't know what to tell you.

They told me they got it to work, I ask to replicate it, and they can't give me the information to replicate it. This is the second time they claim they've "fixed it" and the second time I've asked to replicate it. So far. No.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, since most people come here to tell their experience, I don't see what the problem is with the OP post. Hostgator is both loved and hated. This is well documented on their own forum. I'm sure HG will respond soon enough to get to the bottom of this. Good luck.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
      0 Not allowed!

TheJoker, Yeah -- I just figure that the Shaw guy is connected with HG or something... saying that I'm the "one bad experience" is an attempt at making me look like I'm overreacting... which clearly from the number of times I've had to go back and forth with them to get the basics done properly shows that I can't possibly be alone.

I just got off the phone with them yet again and got more of that "polite nothingness" boy-o-boy... they sure are polite, but polite doesn't get me a solution.

This is almost like a joke at this point. I wish I had the time to redact out the private parts of the ticket and post it up here... it'll blow your mind.
      0 Not allowed!

The thing about HostGator is that when you contact support via live chat or phone, you are talking to someone that has little to no experience in pc's let alone hosting. They don't even have access to do most things that people want them to do. It has to be pushed up higher in most cases to departments such as transfers where the people are trained and more experienced. In your case I would think it would get pushed even higher because of the issues. I personally have used HG for over two years and have only had one issue since being with them. I count myself lucky in that regards but I don't believe there is any host out there that can guarantee 100% satisfaction right off the bat and not expect some issues along the way. Hopefully they will get your issue resolved asap for you.
      0 Not allowed!

A lot of businesses operate their sites differently. Did you make them aware of the fact that you had SSL and other "most basic things" prior to initiating the move? Some business sites (albeit rather unprofessional) don't use SSL or dedicated IPs.

First they tried to tell me that the dns server had to fully propagate (which is BS since I have a dedicated IP)
    That is not an excuse, it's truth.
    I assume their techs are used to people that don't know how to use ipconfig /refreshdns for an immediate DNS update -- so such a response is legit for 99% of cases.

I mean, this should be a super-simple thing
    If it were so simple, why didn't you do the move yourself?
      0 Not allowed!

Well... It's been well over a week since the "Transfer" and I've had to remind them of the MOST BASIC things, like my SSL needed to be moved too (duh), and that I needed the dedicated IP (as is included with the plan)...
    Depending on what kind of system you were coming from, SSL coming over may not have been automatic and if you didn't tell them you had SSL to move, they may not have known. I obviously don't know all that you discussed with them so I'm making some assumptions and giving both sides some benefit of the doubt.

You would think that's bad enough? NO WAY! I'd be happy if that was all it was. I have been doing battle with countless "techs" for days about getting FrontPage to work. Since they can't just do the extensions the mindless way via cPanel (custom .htaccess file) they just can't get it to work.
    Well... You could just rename the .htaccess file to .htaccess.bak temporarily, install the extensions via cPanel, and then merge the .htaccess.bak into the new .htaccess created by cPanel... You could do that yourself (or advise them to do this).

I will say a few things in regards to FrontPage extensions and their support by providers:
    1. Consider yourself lucky that extensions for software that died over 10 years ago are even still offered, much less supported AT ALL, even if poorly.
    2. You really should move to something newer, DreamWeaver would be a great tool to use, or whatever Microsoft has these days as a successor to FrontPage (I don't rememer the name off hand).
    3. FrontPage is EOL'd, you're lucky the extensions are still able to be installed at all.

First they tried to tell me that the dns server had to fully propagate (which is BS since I have a dedicated IP), then they had a few other excuses... and still nothing.
    Having a dedicated IP has nothing to do with DNS. Now I'm not sure if they told you this in regards to installing FrontPage extensions or whether it was just a general statement. Dedicated IP or not, DNS still takes time to propagate. The nameservers of the world do not care if you alone use your IP or it's shared with others.

I mean, this should be a super-simple thing... what the heck am I suppose to do when something that is actually complex is needed or happens?
    If it's so simple, why not just handle it yourself? A perfect example is the client who puts in support tickets to have email accounts created for them when they are fully capable of doing this via the control panel themselves... If it wasn't something the customer could handle on their own then the argument has a bit more merit.

Now I'm not putting you down - I'm just saying - if it's so simple, and they're doing a poor job of handling it, why not just get it done and quit fussing over it?

If you're so unhappy with their service, just move somewhere else perhaps?

I can't say that I'd put any sort of site that was responsible for "feeding my family" and supporting my workers on any sort of shared hosting plan with any provider... If I were to do so I would have contingencies such as another provider that could quickly be switched to in the case of an outage, off-server and off-provider regular backups, etc...

Almost every day I see, on one forum or another, somebody complaining about a provider being down for X hours and how the user is losing $X,XXX per hour the provider is down and it leaves me scratching my head... Why do people make $X,XXX per hour and spend $X/month on something so vital to their business?

I can't say I agree with you there - I used HostGator personally some time ago and I had a wonderful experience. Their support was quick and helpful and although not always amazing, they did a good job and left me pretty satisfied.

I'm totally screwed now as I've done the DNS and I need it to be stable. But I can tell you, think twice and think hard about hosting anything that you REALLY need to work. Their service and support is all an empty suit. The sound like they know what they're doing, but when push comes to shove. No.
    Is it possible that your expectations of a [generally] shared-based hosting provider were simply higher than they should have been? You're posting here tremendously upset over a plan that starts at $10.36/month - you've either made some not so great decisions about your hosting if you really stand to lose as much as you're acting or you're really making a huge fuss about not a whole lot.

I wish I had remembered that I had an account here sooner!
    Ok, well you remembered - and here you are.

Best of luck.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Unfortunately in the web hosting industry, it has become a common trend that once a company reaches a certain size, their service tends to drop off. You have to keep in mind that HG hosts over 1 million domain names, so if you are looking for a more personal service, I would recommend going with one of the smaller companies.

Either way, sorry to hear about your bad experience with HG, they are one of the better "unlimited" providers, but in this day and age, that is not really saying much.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gpl24 View Post
    A lot of businesses operate their sites differently. Did you make them aware of the fact that you had SSL and other "most basic things" prior to initiating the move? Some business sites (albeit rather unprofessional) don't use SSL or dedicated IPs.

That is not an excuse, it's truth.
    I assume their techs are used to people that don't know how to use ipconfig /refreshdns for an immediate DNS update -- so such a response is legit for 99% of cases.

If it were so simple, why didn't you do the move yourself?
    Yes, I told them about the dedicated IP and the SSL (as well as other things) in advance. They did the move, I asked them if they remembered the SSL and the IP. They didn't and apologized and fixed it.

Then checked a bunch of links, only to find out that lots of the links didn't function. They tried to blame the DNS, but, naturally, that wasn't the case (it was rewrites via htaccess that needed to be changed). And we got that working. After much begging.

Then we discovered that FP wasn't working either. Got the same DNS story... which, say what you want, IS NOT true. And here we are...

I didn't do the move myself because I have a zillion other things to do and I was trying to delegate a simple task. Or should I do everything around the office myself? I assure you I can. But how do I run an office if I have to do everything? You're blaming me because I didn't do it. Duh.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for all the feedback, folks... I guess I'm just being unreasonable to expect a company to do what they say they do on the index page of their site. Transfers.
      0 Not allowed!

Pete....get yourself a smaller host of high quality that will give you a more personal service.

Then you can just get on with running your business and not give the hosting side a second thought.
      0 Not allowed!

You really should move to something newer, DreamWeaver would be a great tool to use, or whatever Microsoft has these days as a successor to FrontPage (I don't rememer the name off hand).
    For MikeDVB
    The successor to frontpage is Expressionweb

My personal experience with Hostgator was very good. Perhaps they dropped the ball but I'd bet they'll do what they can to rectify the situation.
    If your still not happy there are plenty of other hosts out there

Good Luck
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net
      0 Not allowed!

Hahahahahaha. I just got another reply from them, that they got it to work. (This is the 3rd time they've told me they got it to work). However, when I ask them to tell me how I can get it to work... they don't.

Crap. Did I make the wrong choice or once they get it up and running is it worth it? What happens if something major goes wrong, can they fix it or are they pretty much this lost on everything?
      0 Not allowed!

Exclamation Warning: HOSTGATOR users!!! You may not get good service if... (+ another question)

Wow! As an additional warning to Hostgator customers. (for those that don't want to weed through post about the horrible transfer experience I'm dealing with).

Here is an exact copy/paste of what may happen if you give a poor review to an agent when you submit a ticket:

On a side note, I do see that you decided to give everyone in this ticket pretty much a '1' rating, including those who gave helpful information (and who may have actually solved the issue, I have a feeling it got reverted at some point but may have been fixed at least once in this ticket). I understand your frustration, however this probably did not help contribute toward a resolution of your issue, and only made the people who were trying to help you as frustrated as you.

What does that sound like to you?

These people are unreal.

Does anyone know, once you do a transfer with them, and things are running like they should are they pretty much this lost on everything, or it is only the "transfer" people? My fear is that if something comes up, they'll be just as lost on that too.

Thanks for reading,
    Pete
      0 Not allowed!

Hahahahahaha.

Crap. Did I make the wrong choice or once they get it up and running is it worth it? What happens if something major goes wrong, can they fix it or are they pretty much this lost on everything?
    I really think that HG's tech support is as competent as they come. When I was hosting with them they went above and beyond in the support dept.

In my opinion, as long as your there and things seem to be getting done you may as well give them a chance.
    IwebNews.net
      0 Not allowed!

Music,

I'm really trying, but it's one story after another. The last reply from the agent really got me. I mean really... I'm going to get crappy work from them because I gave them a bad review, NO, it was the crappy work that CAUSED the bad review!

DUH!
      0 Not allowed!

You're entitle to your own opinion and to express your frustration but you don't need to open several threads about the same thing to do so.

On a side note, I do see that you decided to give everyone in this ticket pretty much a '1' rating, including those who gave helpful information (and who may have actually solved the issue, I have a feeling it got reverted at some point but may have been fixed at least once in this ticket). I understand your frustration, however this probably did not help contribute toward a resolution of your issue, and only made the people who were trying to help you as frustrated as you.
    Nothing wrong with this at all. If you've rated an agent down for providing you with helpful information then these agents have the right to bring it up - in companies like HostGator these ratings are usually used to judge performance and if you go around rating everyone as '1' (including those who actually took time to help you) then I can understand they would be frustrated and unwilling to help you further.
      0 Not allowed!

Ok, but they didn't help me. They told me they did something, and they didn't do it.

They didn't transfer the site correctly. Should I have given them a good review?
    They said they got something to work that it turns out they never even tested. Should I have given them a good review?

Seriously? So what then? Do I give a bad review when they do something right and a good review when they do something wrong? Come on now. I waited a while before I gave the review in hopes that they would fix it... but how many times should they tell me they fixed it when they didn't?
      0 Not allowed!

I doubt their feelings are so hurt that they will give you substandard service. they're much more professional than that.
    In the meantime there's no point in damaging your relationship with them as you will (hopefully) be working with them for some time yet.
    IwebNews.net
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks music. I can't believe I have to worry about the "spite" factor with these people on top of everything else... geesh... just do what you say you're going to do... or find a person that can.

Am I asking too much?
      0 Not allowed!

Seriously? So what then? Do I give a bad review when they do something right and a good review when they do something wrong? Come on now. I waited a while before I gave the review in hopes that they would fix it... but how many times should they tell me they fixed it when they didn't?
    As I said; you're entitle to voice your opinion - I'm not disputing that. This thread isn't a review, it's a thread regarding something you where sent from an agent at hostgator that you believe is wrong - but just as you're entitle to your opinion, I'm entitle to mine: I don't believe there is anything wrong with the statement you where sent by the rep, as I said, employees are rated on performance by the ratings you give in these tickets and if you go around giving everyone '1' (including to those who have helped you) then obviously the rep's aren't going to want to help you any further as you're just going to rate them down.

It seems to me your transfer went wrong - HostGator is a massive company and things like this will happen once in a while. Brett (the owner of HostGator) is a great guy and willing to help all customers (from what I've seen) - I'd suggest you take a few minutes to create a professional (and calm) ticket expressing your feelings over this and ask it to be escalated to him - so he can deal with this personally.
    Last edited by SercoNetworks; 04-24-2011 at 08:37 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Already did it with Lance as well. Nothing. I've called and ask countless times to be connected with somebody who REALLY understood the problem. I was refused. Each time I got, "there is a ticket open and you're at the top of the list". I've been at the "top of the list" for days... and no resolution.

I'd hate to be the people that aren't at the "top of the list" (no, I don't really think I'm at the top of the list, I'm just telling you what they told me!). LOL.

I do appreciate your replies!

Pete
      0 Not allowed!

Already did it with Lance as well. Nothing. I've called and ask countless times to be connected with somebody who REALLY understood the problem. I was refused. Each time I got, "there is a ticket open and you're at the top of the list". I've been at the "top of the list" for days... and no resolution.

I'd hate to be the people that aren't at the "top of the list" (no, I don't really think I'm at the top of the list, I'm just telling you what they told me!). LOL.

I do appreciate your replies!

Pete
    Post up your ticket number. I know some people over there, I'll point them in the direction of this thread.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.
      0 Not allowed!

When one opens few threads of the same topic, driven by some issues, it begs OP's mental stability.
    lol, that was a joke but it still has some grain of truth in above statement.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.
      0 Not allowed!

That's ok alucasa. A "few" is 3 or more... I've opened up two. One regarding a transfer and one regarding the way that their people look at those that rate them poorly.

Thanks for the help -- you really contributed a lot!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    Post up your ticket number. I know some people over there, I'll point them in the direction of this thread.
    Matt, you have a PM.

And Thanks again!!
      0 Not allowed!

Turns out they never even tested it with FP. They've been testing it with: http://www.cpanel.net/apps/fp/fp.html

Which explains why they wouldn't tell me how to replicate it. They finally came clean on this, and when I try the above link it fails. I've asked them to tell me EXACTLY what they are populating the 3 fields with, which I'm certain they will never tell me since they have yet to tell me anything.

I guess I'll call them yet again and beg and plead some more.

What a pathetic company. I have dust off a few more web hosting forums to post this up on. Sooner or later they'll get the hint to let me speak to a person that knows what they are doing. Geesh.
      0 Not allowed!

Turns out they never even tested it with FP. They've been testing it with: http://www.cpanel.net/apps/fp/fp.html

Which explains why they wouldn't tell me how to replicate it. They finally came clean on this, and when I try the above link it fails. I've asked them to tell me EXACTLY what they are populating the 3 fields with, which I'm certain they will never tell me since they have yet to tell me anything.

I guess I'll call them yet again and beg and plead some more.

What a pathetic company. I have dust off a few more web hosting forums to post this up on. Sooner or later they'll get the hint to let me speak to a person that knows what they are doing. Geesh.
    If you're this upset with HostGator it's probably time to move on to another host. It seems strange that you would post negative reviews on multiple forums yet continue to work with them.

They must be doing something right if you're still with them after a week?
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Responsive whmcs templates | WHMCS | Wordpress | HTML5 | Settings area
    █ Hire us for responsive whmcs integration - enhance your website using the new "Six" template!
      0 Not allowed!

Wow! As an additional warning to Hostgator customers. (for those that don't want to weed through post about the horrible transfer experience I'm dealing with).

Here is an exact copy/paste of what may happen if you give a poor review to an agent when you submit a ticket:

What does that sound like to you?

These people are unreal.

Does anyone know, once you do a transfer with them, and things are running like they should are they pretty much this lost on everything, or it is only the "transfer" people? My fear is that if something comes up, they'll be just as lost on that too.

Thanks for reading,
    Pete
    I see nothing wrong with them, a bit extreme towards you. But they are right, many companies strive for good ratings, and if someone helps you, you should rate them accordingly.
      0 Not allowed!

zomex,

Fair enough. The reason is three fold.
    a) the site is working - it is up and running
    b) the site is fast (I can't complain about HG's speed)
    c) moving again doesn't ensure I won't have the same problem. Better to keep the evil you have since you don't know the evil you'll get.

0 Not allowed!

Ha! I think I got a guy on the phone now that may know what's going on... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
      0 Not allowed!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gut was right. The guy "Rich" who I was on the phone with all this time fixed it!!!! I'll admit I didn't understand everything he did, but all I know it now works!!!!!!

AWESOME! He's going to reply to the ticket so I can give credit where credit is due.

VERY HAPPY!
      0 Not allowed!

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gut was right. The guy "Rich" who I was on the phone with all this time fixed it!!!! I'll admit I didn't understand everything he did, but all I know it now works!!!!!!

AWESOME! He's going to reply to the ticket so I can give credit where credit is due.

VERY HAPPY!
    Great.

/thread time.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SercoNetworks View Post
    Great.

/thread time.
    Sounds good to me
      0 Not allowed!