Looking to resell Dedicated machines Wheres the best place to start

Looking to Resell Dedicated Machines but at the major data centers of course but don't know where to start

The steps NOT who!
    like do i need IPs do i need them set up the rDNS for my business, are there control panels or do they have api's?

thanks
    Last edited by zooserve; 04-23-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammer

The provider you decide to resell with will provide you with the IPs, you do not need to set that up directly with ARIN.

You will contact your provider as well when you need rDNS entries set (although some data centers have a control panel where you can do this yourself).

To get started I would contact the data center you're interested in partnering with and an account manager can provide you with all of the info you'll need.
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

SingleHop has a very nice reseller program and you should see Tandem advertised a lot. I've recently decided to start colocating and purchasing my own hardware and just leasing out servers kinda like a mini dedicating biz.

--cP
    Revo4 - The Revolution In Clustered Hosting.
    Redundant H-Sphere Linux Hosting w/ True 99.9% Uptime.
    Why Not Get Started Today?
    corey @ revo4.com

Quote Originally Posted by MXV-CPence View Post
    SingleHop has a very nice reseller program and you should see Tandem advertised a lot.
    Their LEAP management control panel is one of the best in my opinion - definitely worth a look.
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by TheHostGenie View Post
    Their LEAP management control panel is one of the best in my opinion - definitely worth a look.
    Oh yeah definitely. They really do innovate like their ads say.

--cP
    corey @ revo4.com

Also I'd like to throw in that they do have that API that you were asking for.

like do i need IPs do i need them set up the rDNS for my business, are there control panels or do they have api's?
    So in your case - definitely worth checking out.
    corey @ revo4.com

Quote Originally Posted by MXV-CPence View Post
    SingleHop has a very nice reseller program and you should see Tandem advertised a lot. I've recently decided to start colocating and purchasing my own hardware and just leasing out servers kinda like a mini dedicating biz.

--cP

He is not looking for who but for what.

The OP is asking what are the steps that needs to be done in order to start reselling server.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    He is not looking for who but for what.

The OP is asking what are the steps that needs to be done in order to start reselling server.
    Ahh, your right. I misread him. Well maybe that led him in the right direction. Apologies.

--cP
    corey @ revo4.com

You first need to decide whether you're going to resell unmanaged, semi-managed, managed or fully managed servers.

Here are some steps in no particular order:
    - Decide which type of server/market you wish to target: Unmanaged, Managed, High Bandwidth, Low/Medium/High End (or Low/Medium/High Budget), Windows/Linux, etc.
    - Find a provider that offers what you would like to target above. Preferably one that has favorable reviews.
    - Make sure said provider has been around for a while and seems to have a sound business model to support your customers. Last thing you want is your provider going under and leaving you and your customers without service and without notice (happens more than anybody in the industry would like)
    - Define how much margin you need on each server in order to sustain your business. Said provider also needs to be competitively priced in order for you to be competitive in the market you are targeting after adding your markup.
    - Figure out your value added features. What would make potential customers sign up with your company versus going direct with the seller. These are typically adding server management to a typically unmanaged provider, server hardening, security audits, etc.
    - Design/find some sort of software to help manage your business: Keeping track of your customers, your servers, invoicing, etc.
    - Make sure you read your providers TOS so that you can pass that along to your customers and maintain a friendly co-benefitial relationship with your provider.

Ok, I keep thinking of more and more stuff to add as I write each one of those, but hopefully that can get you started.

JoseQ

Sounds Like good advice Jose, I actually sent you guys an email a day or two ago in regards to such.

You start by choosing a datacenter that meets your requirements and buying a server.
    You can pick any datacenter you like, they don't have to have a reseller program, you can just buy the servers and resell them.

There are many different control panels and options, it depends on what kind of reseller you want to be, and what kind of customer is your target market.
    ie. do you want to focus on selling the cheapest servers, or focus on support, etc...

You don't need your own ip's or rDNS, again that is your choice, if you want that, then find a datacenter that offers it.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Also may I add that you can handle your own rDNS by purchasing an entire class C (/24 subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and delegating those IPs to your nameservers. Almost all dedicated server companies offer the ability to change reverse DNS settings, though.

--cP
    corey @ revo4.com