Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    should I be able to get 100mbps on a 10mbps server simply by changing ethtool setting

    I have a 10mbps dedicated server at a provider that offers 10mbps, and 100mbps servers. I have been having really blocky, slow connections lately. It was suggested to me that I set ethtool to "speed 10" and "autoneg off" off for 10mbps. I did this, and it seemed to help, but eventually got worse. Today i tried setting ethtool to 100mbps both with autoneg on and off. With autoneg turned back on, I seem to be getting full 100mbps speed, with no lags, jumps, or sluggishness.

    Shouldn't I be hardware limited to 10mbps, and not able to change it with a simple command? It appears to be throttling somewhat, but it's peaking over 4MB/sec, and averaging about 1.8MB/sec on an FTP download.
    Last edited by imgcritter; 04-23-2011 at 04:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    6,456
    That's interesting. Usually it's a hard limit set on the switch you're on.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

    Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    That's interesting. Usually it's a hard limit set on the switch you're on.
    The "throttling" I spoke of is while testing on my home connection (15mbps advertised, will burst up to 27mbps with "turbo" feature). If I download providers own test files via ssh, they hit a full 100mbps (10MB/sec or higher).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,507
    Indeed it should be hard set on the switch, but appears to have not been. You should not use 100 if you're paying for 10. However your previous issues may be due to negotiation issues. You should ask your provider to set the switch port to 10F/D, then on your end set your card to autoneg.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    You should ask your provider to set the switch port to 10F/D, then on your end set your card to autoneg.
    ...Because it's not like autoneg requires both sides to be set, in order to work properly or anything :p

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,507
    10 F/D max advertised, with autoneg. OP and no doubt the provider know the correct settings.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by imgcritter View Post
    Shouldn't I be hardware limited to 10mbps, and not able to change it with a simple command?
    I they're allowing auto-neg to connect the NIC-to-Switch @ 100Mb/s (or by forcing it in ethtool etc) then it's likely they are throttling the connection through other methods, like rate-limiting you at the router etc.

    Simply put you cant expect to get > 10Mb/s if that's all you're paying for, and with the level of overselling at most places, you'd be lucky to get even that.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Indeed it should be hard set on the switch, but appears to have not been. You should not use 100 if you're paying for 10. However your previous issues may be due to negotiation issues. You should ask your provider to set the switch port to 10F/D, then on your end set your card to autoneg.
    The server defaulted to 10Mbps autoneg on. I had major problems with that where the server would become unresponsive with one download, until completed. The provider actually suggested turning autoneg off, and it improved the immediate issue of 100% PL while downloading anything, but only temporarily solved the 20-150KB/sec sluggish, intermittently pausing downloads.

    Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    10 F/D max advertised, with autoneg. OP and no doubt the provider know the correct settings.
    Yes I know the settings. The problem is, I can't use the server when set to those settings. Last night (at 4am EST mind you) the most i could pull, via any means, was about 150KB/sec while set to 10 F/D autoneg on, or off. Setting to 100 instantly solved the problem. Interestingly enough, with autoneg off, it acted the same way. If it's on the same port, the cause is something other than available bandwidth. Unless they packet shape the crap out of their 10Mbps users.

    Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    I they're allowing auto-neg to connect the NIC-to-Switch @ 100Mb/s (or by forcing it in ethtool etc) then it's likely they are throttling the connection through other methods, like rate-limiting you at the router etc.

    Simply put you cant expect to get > 10Mb/s if that's all you're paying for, and with the level of overselling at most places, you'd be lucky to get even that.
    I understand that. I wasn't asking for something for nothing. If it worked properly at 10Mbps I would have left it alone.
    Last edited by imgcritter; 04-24-2011 at 03:39 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 12:27 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •