What is the difference between Cloud and VPS

Sorry but i am really confused on this topic. could someone give me a compairison of the two
    [] Next Door Web Hosting
    [][] Coming Soon
    [][][] Christopher Pollock

This is actually part of the problem. There is no standard definition of what a cloud is, and so providers will define it how they see it suits their own products. For example, Linode (http://www.linode.com) calls their service the "Linode Cloud", but I would not call that a cloud at all - it is a VPS service with a really powerful control panel allowing you full control of your servers.

Here is how I define a cloud setup: On-demand usage billing of server resources with a separation of processing and storage where the storage is centralized, usually on some kind of SAN setup. A prime example of this would be Gigenet Cloud (http://www.gigenetcloud.com). They are one that is actually a cloud provider, by my definition. But as I say, every provider defines it differently.
    "Cloud" is really just a buzz word right now in the industry. To me, it means little - I'd rather just do the research to find out what a provider's setup looks like instead of paying attention to the marketing.

A cloud usually sports a redundant failover. It also usually has a central SAN in which all of the cloud nodes share space. A SAN is usually referred to as a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks). A JBOD is a large array of disks, usually a 4u chassis, which has nothing but disks on both the front and back sides. This is then connected to all the hypervisors via highspeed cabling. A cloud also depends on the hypervisors to get their specs (processor, RAM, etc.)

A VPS has no failover and no central storage and depends on a single node's storage, RAM and processor. It is not as redundant as a cloud setup.

Feel free to ask if you need further clarification.

--cP
    Revo4 - The Revolution In Clustered Hosting.
    Redundant H-Sphere Linux Hosting w/ True 99.9% Uptime.
    Why Not Get Started Today?
    corey @ revo4.com

"Cloud" or "Cloud computing" is an approach to computing. VPS is a virtual server created through any virtualization approach. Virtualization is broadly used in Cloud computing and this is one of the reasons for many to thing Cloud hosting as HA VPS or something like that.

A Cloud would refer to a Virtual Hosting (Shared Hosting) provided from a cloud computing generation infrastructure or Shared Cloud Hosting.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    "Cloud" or "Cloud computing" is an approach to computing. VPS is a virtual server created through any virtualization approach. Virtualization is broadly used in Cloud computing and this is one of the reasons for many to thing Cloud hosting as HA VPS or something like that.

A Cloud would refer to a Virtual Hosting (Shared Hosting) provided from a cloud computing generation infrastructure or Shared Cloud Hosting.
    Nicely put.

OP: If your looking fora nice cloud solution, check out Amazon's cloud architecture to start.
    Revo4 - The Revolution In Clustered Hosting.
    Redundant H-Sphere Linux Hosting w/ True 99.9% Uptime.
    Why Not Get Started Today?
    corey @ revo4.com

I'm not really looking for one, i was just doing some research on cloud and it just confused me some
    [] Next Door Web Hosting
    [][] Coming Soon
    [][][] Christopher Pollock

A VPS is a virtual server on a physical server. It is locked to that server. If the hard drives on that server go down, your data is lost unless there are backups.

Cloud servers usually have some sort of fail over and redundancy mechanism, usually achieved through redundant SANs, allowing your virtual instance to start up on another physical server almost instantly.

There is not true definition for cloud hosting. In reality, you need to look at what the claim to be "cloud", as many times, it is just a marketing term.
    SSDVirt - SSD VPS Hosting
    Dallas New Jersey RAID10 SSDs 1Gbps OpenVZ & KVM
    GarrisonHost - Premium High Performance Hosting
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting [soon] SSL Certificates Domains

One thing that was missed here is what some call bare metal or cloud enabled dedicated servers. This is basically a dedicated hyper visor connected to the cloud and the cloud SAN , that allows the client to have dedicated resources within the cloud , but all of the management functionality of a regular cloud instance along with the HA faulty tolerance.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Quote Originally Posted by GarrisonHost-John View Post
    A VPS is a virtual server on a physical server. It is locked to that server. If the hard drives on that server go down, your data is lost unless there are backups.

Cloud servers usually have some sort of fail over and redundancy mechanism, usually achieved through redundant SANs, allowing your virtual instance to start up on another physical server almost instantly.

There is not true definition for cloud hosting. In reality, you need to look at what the claim to be "cloud", as many times, it is just a marketing term.
    You can also have Cloud-based VPS servers.
    Which give you a set amount of resources like any typical VPS but instead of being setup on a single machine, is actually deployed on top of a cloud layer.
    The VPS's resources can also be expanded at anytime.

I actually consider this the best use of cloud as you have all the scalibility, redundancy, and performance of the cloud and able to maintain your own private environment similar to a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    You can also have Cloud-based VPS servers.
    Which give you a set amount of resources like any typical VPS but instead of being setup on a single machine, is actually deployed on top of a cloud layer.
    The VPS's resources can also be expanded at anytime.

I actually consider this the best use of cloud as you have all the scalibility, redundancy, and performance of the cloud and able to maintain your own private environment similar to a dedicated server.

I understand that. Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I don't like cloud that much as it adds another layer. Plus, SAN disk performance just isn't like local disk performance.
    SSDVirt - SSD VPS Hosting
    Dallas New Jersey RAID10 SSDs 1Gbps OpenVZ & KVM
    GarrisonHost - Premium High Performance Hosting
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting [soon] SSL Certificates Domains

Quote Originally Posted by GarrisonHost-John View Post
    SAN disk performance just isn't like local disk performance.
    You are right, some times it is worse if setup badly and sometimes it is far better if setup well...

From what I understand cloud is better because it's more then one server it's multiple servers in one.
    Jason

Here are the differences of the two:
    On cloud hosting, the processing power is unlimited as you can always add a new server and scale up. A VPS runs its own operating system, has its own bandwidth and disk space, and can be individually rebooted.

Simple:
    VPS: vm's are hosted in a single hypervisor that can fail, will have a downtime until it is moved to a new hv or the same hv get fixed.
    Cloud Machine: your vm is hosted in a single hypervisor but is configured in a way that if that hypervisor fail it gets moved automatically without any downtime to another hv in the cloud.

I think it is depend on your needed, and how you will cofigure this vm
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit