Help needed deciding upon VPS location

Hello,

We are based in Morocco (North Africa) and we currently use a US Based VPS (with KH) with a 200 ms average ping time.

We are considering getting a Europe Based VPS as we only have local customers and we provide a web based application that is extremely busy. We think the lower ping times to Europe (around 100 ms to EuroVPS) will bring our customers a better experience.

Here are my questions:
    - Will moving from 200ms down to 100ms make any real difference?
    - Can you suggest other good VPS providers with even lower ping times to Morocco (local providers are not an option)

Budget is secondary, it is something we will deal with once we are certain to improve the responsiveness of the application.

Thanks a lot for your help.

200ms from Morocoo to a US based VPS isn't too bad. The 100ms will make a difference but, I don't think it will be a huge performance increase. I would either get a VPS from Europe or somewhere in the US with a great ping to Morocco.

You should look for a VPS (in Europe) from a provider with best network connectivity, Leaseweb and Server.lu are one of the best, they will sure make a difference in ping time.
    Do a ping test to leaseweb.com and server.lu and let me know what results you get.
    Last edited by SlickWebHost-Claudiu; 04-23-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: aditional info
    SlickWebHost::Quality Personal and Business Hosting Solutions
    USA and UK, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, R1Soft Shared Hosting
    USA and UK Virtual Private Servers with Best Connectivity to Europe, North America and Asia
    SlickWebHost::Non-outsourced 24/7 Support

Thanks for your time guys.

Here are the ping times:
    leaseweb.com: 100ms (97-104)
    server.lu: 101ms (100-102)
    So they are equivalent.
    I got about 90ms to a French provider (sivit.fr)
    I think a provider ins Spain (even closer) might get even lower pingtimes.

Just on a sidenote, I think I saw leaseweb in eurovps's traceroute.

Hi,

Also check UK Providers. I can recommend Europhase.net and vooservers.com. Ping both websites to check.

If you like the way KH do things, but want a closer location.....then you may want to look at FutureHosting's UK location.

I use them both and they're very similar in terms of quality and reliability....though the UK location does FH the edge in connectivity into Europe.

Yes, the 100ms will make a difference, and you may find that you'll be able to get a better deal from European providers with regards to system specifications. If I were you, I'd investigate VPS providers on the continent first, such as those in France and Spain. There is plenty of competition out there, so a quick look at the WHT offers forum should help you out.

@XTremo - I'm not a fan of the FH UK location; having been a customer there myself in the past, I had to contend with RapidSwitch's fairly common network 'incidents', often lasting many hours, although I would concur in regards to the way in which they run things being similar to KnownHost. You really can't go wrong with the FH server management on offer: their staff are incredibly helpful, and they deliver every time.

OVH is known to be a reasonable provider in France, although I'm not too familiar with what is available in Spain. Either way, I'm sure you'll find a competitive deal that suits your needs somewhere out there.

If a deal you find in the EU doesn't offer the level of management and support you're after, you could always consider getting a server management company to do that for you.

Best of luck!
    Theo Robertson | vividWire | Solid IT solutions for business
    vividWire VPS - Low-latency London, UK VPS based in Telehouse North, SSD RAID10 storage & KVM virtualisation
    vividWire Shared Hosting - Performance UK hosting with cPanel, CloudLinux, CloudFlare, 99.99% SLA

Also check eUKhost

Quote Originally Posted by CI-Theo View Post
    @XTremo - I'm not a fan of the FH UK location; having been a customer there myself in the past, I had to contend with RapidSwitch's fairly common network 'incidents', often lasting many hours, although I would concur in regards to the way in which they run things being similar to KnownHost. You really can't go wrong with the FH server management on offer: their staff are incredibly helpful, and they deliver every time.
    Vik's put his own network equipment in there now Theo......due to the various inconsistencies with RapidSwitch.