Problem using my domain to my home ip

Hello every one. Let me get this Straight. I have created a website and hosting it on my system with weblogic server. My friends on other network are able to access my website(Coz I did port forwarding to my external home ip). Now I have a domain from name.com and I wanted to link it to my external ip. My ip is static by the way. So I configured my A records, where I have entered my ip as 208.XXX.XXX.XXX:7001 (i have included my port number). Now when I tried to access my website through the domain name its not working. Can some one help me with the problem I am facing with?

To my knowledge you will need to make sure where ever you bought your domain from offers domain management they can forward the nameservers to your static ip.
    Last edited by HostLoud; 04-23-2011 at 02:34 AM.

You can't use your port number in an A record. The A record should contain the IP address only, and to access your webserver people will need to use http://yourdomain:7001
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

yep ... in the A record you must to put just your ip ... whitout any port ... just the ip

Also you usually can't access port forwarding from inside your NAT.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Quote Originally Posted by clipod View Post
    Hello every one. Let me get this Straight. I have created a website and hosting it on my system with weblogic server. My friends on other network are able to access my website(Coz I did port forwarding to my external home ip). Now I have a domain from name.com and I wanted to link it to my external ip. My ip is static by the way. So I configured my A records, where I have entered my ip as 208.XXX.XXX.XXX:7001 (i have included my port number). Now when I tried to access my website through the domain name its not working. Can some one help me with the problem I am facing with?
    Your going to have to just setup your home server to use the normal ports and enter the A record as 208.XXX.XXX.XXX without any port colons. DNS doesn't work with ports.

--cP
    Revo4 - The Revolution In Clustered Hosting.
    Redundant H-Sphere Linux Hosting w/ True 99.9% Uptime.
    Why Not Get Started Today?
    corey @ revo4.com

Quote Originally Posted by MXV-CPence View Post
    Your going to have to just setup your home server to use the normal ports and enter the A record as 208.XXX.XXX.XXX without any port colons. DNS doesn't work with ports.

--cP
    Ok so is there any solution for my situation. I have even registered myself in dynDNS but even they have just added my ip address only. I am new to this domain configuration thing so I am totally confused what I have to do.

If I want to link 208.XXX.XXX.XXX:7001/test/test.jsp to mydomain.com what should I do.

mydomain.com A record -> 208.XXX.XXX.XXX

mydomain.com:7001/test/test.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    mydomain.com A record -> 208.XXX.XXX.XXX

mydomain.com:7001/test/test.jsp
    Ok so if I need just mydomain.com to be linked to this whole thing "mydomain.com:7001/test/test.jsp what should I do?

you add an A record and only enter your ip.

Ok so if I need just mydomain.com to be linked to this whole thing "mydomain.com:7001/test/test.jsp what should I do?
    As already stated several times, you can't link mydomain.com to mydomain.com:7001. Either tell your users to use the non-standard port or find a new ISP who allows you to run a webserver on port 80.

Edit: or better still, get yourself some real hosting (not at home!)
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

You cannot do post redirection at the DNS level. To redirect a port, you will need to have a standard port website answer the request and then redirect the browser.

You could get a cheap shared hosting account somewhere and create a page in that shared hosting account that redirected the browser to yourip:yourport/path. You could even use a frame so it did not look like you were redirecting the browser.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    You cannot do post redirection at the DNS level. To redirect a port, you will need to have a standard port website answer the request and then redirect the browser.

You could get a cheap shared hosting account somewhere and create a page in that shared hosting account that redirected the browser to yourip:yourport/path. You could even use a frame so it did not look like you were redirecting the browser.
    Thanks I got what you are saying. Well the thing is, I wanted to know how to make my home server work like web hosting servers that are available in the market. So just interested in learning about that. Purely educational.

It wont work with a port other than 80 for normal webhosting, unless you use highly complicated redirection which will then cause other more complicated problems.