Upgrade from Powweb... MDDHosting? Someone else?

I've been doing web sites since the 1990's, I have used several shared hosts and have been happy with Powweb for almost a decade now.

That will likely end in a few days as I'm being told that my forums are eating up more than the allowed "amount of databases queries" according to the notice I got.

So after not having been in the market for ages, it feels all new again to me and I'm trying to verify a good host for our needs. We are a large static website with mostly pictures and non-dynamic pages. We do have a isolated phpbb forum with 600 members, but only 30-40 active in a given day. Its not a hugely demanding site, but I guess it has grown to outstrip what Powweb allows.

I have been looking all around and trying to find a good host for this. MDDHosting has caught my attention with their Basic "Semi-Dedicated" plan, although it doesn't seem to get the attention or discounts that their other offerings do. I toyed with doing VPS, but I will be honest that I want something simple with basic FTP and also a easy way to get a phpbb forum up and going.

Cost and being large enough to support the forums are my main concern. Is MDDHosting with Semi-dedicated right for me? Or is there something else I should be eying? Thanks in advance for any help.

How much diskspace/bandwidth do you require? Also what is your budget?
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Quote Originally Posted by Arbok View Post
    I've been doing web sites since the 1990's, I have used several shared hosts and have been happy with Powweb for almost a decade now.

That will likely end in a few days as I'm being told that my forums are eating up more than the allowed "amount of databases queries" according to the notice I got.

So after not having been in the market for ages, it feels all new again to me and I'm trying to verify a good host for our needs. We are a large static website with mostly pictures and non-dynamic pages. We do have a isolated phpbb forum with 600 members, but only 30-40 active in a given day. Its not a hugely demanding site, but I guess it has grown to outstrip what Powweb allows.

I have been looking all around and trying to find a good host for this. MDDHosting has caught my attention with their Basic "Semi-Dedicated" plan, although it doesn't seem to get the attention or discounts that their other offerings do. I toyed with doing VPS, but I will be honest that I want something simple with basic FTP and also a easy way to get a phpbb forum up and going.

Cost and being large enough to support the forums are my main concern. Is MDDHosting with Semi-dedicated right for me? Or is there something else I should be eying? Thanks in advance for any help.

Doesn't sound too intensive for a semi dedicated plan. I could be wrong but could you please elaborate on how much resources you normally use.

I have been looking all around and trying to find a good host for this. MDDHosting has caught my attention with their Basic "Semi-Dedicated" plan, although it doesn't seem to get the attention or discounts that their other offerings do.
    The profit margins on the semi-dedicated services are quite a bit thinner than those of the other services which leaves less room for discounts and promotions. Even at their base pricing, I personally feel that they're a good value but obviously there will be others out there who disagree.

At the end of the day, anybody can get "unlimited" everything for $5 or less, so it really depends on what you value in your service as to what you're willing to pay and what you want to receive in return.

From the sounds of what you've said, a regular shared account at a quality provider would likely suffice. Not all hosting providers are created equal and just because you have/had issues at one provider on a shared account does not automatically rule out all shared level plans.
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 04-22-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Agreed, a normal shared hosting plan with any quality provider should suffice.
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    How much diskspace/bandwidth do you require? Also what is your budget?
    I'm getting these figures from the OPanel on Powweb:

Diskspace: 2955.00 MB
    Bandwidth: Around 100GB a month (currently 68GB for this particular month)

Budget is I would say looking to spend less than $30, which I know is very low and limits my options. Site is just a hobby and doesn't generate revenue, so trying to budget this in.

I'm getting these figures from the OPanel on Powweb:

Diskspace: 2955.00 MB
    Bandwidth: Around 100GB a month (currently 68GB for this particular month)

Budget is I would say looking to spend less than $30, which I know is very low and limits my options. Site is just a hobby and doesn't generate revenue, so trying to budget this in.
    Actually for your usage that budget is quite good. One thing you should do though is monetize the site now while it's smaller before the costs of operating it become so large that you cannot support it yourself and you end up in a pickle.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Actually for your usage that budget is quite good. One thing you should do though is monetize the site now while it's smaller before the costs of operating it become so large that you cannot support it yourself and you end up in a pickle.
    Actually the site has declined a lot in terms of popularity, and we tend to honor ourselves by not doing ads or other features such as this (just a principal). We will grow, as sites with forums do, but its been very gradual.

Anyway, I'm surprised as I was feeling that everyone would have recommended going off shared hosting altogether. So if shared hosting is our solution, are there any recommendations for this from a host that would be set to meet these needs?

Also, thanks to everyone for their replies, I appreciate it deeply.

Actually the site has declined a lot in terms of popularity, and we tend to honor ourselves by not doing ads or other features such as this (just a principal). We will grow, as sites with forums do, but its been very gradual.
    Understandable, but not all monetization is advertisement. You could, for example, ask for PayPal donations in a tasteful manner and use one of those plugins that state how much it costs to operate the forum every month, how much you've collected, and how much more is needed.

You could also offer memberships with perks/benefits at a cost to help pay for the forum.

Anyway, I'm surprised as I was feeling that everyone would have recommended going off shared hosting altogether. So if shared hosting is our solution, are there any recommendations for this from a host that would be set to meet these needs?
    I'm not sure if HostGator is as good as they used to be while I was with them personally but I used to recommend them fairly regularly. It has been some 3 odd years or more though.

Absolutely.

Understandable, but not all monetization is advertisement. You could, for example, ask for PayPal donations in a tasteful manner and use one of those plugins that state how much it costs to operate the forum every month, how much you've collected, and how much more is needed.
    I'd actually prefer to do ads over donations if I had to, as I would prefer if our users weren't paying for our service. Just wouldn't sit right with me.

I'm not sure if HostGator is as good as they used to be while I was with them personally but I used to recommend them fairly regularly. It has been some 3 odd years or more though.

Absolutely.
    Thanks for the recommendation, actually was looking at them earlier although heard they aren't the best for phpbb but might give them a try. I see MDDHosting has a Basic plan that might be good, so just curious, while I have you on the line, if you think this would be a good fit or not?

Thanks for the recommendation, actually was looking at them earlier although heard they aren't the best for phpbb but might give them a try. I see MDDHosting has a Basic plan that might be good, so just curious, while I have you on the line, if you think this would be a good fit or not?
    I don't see why it wouldn't be, but there is the 30 day money-back if you're not happy for any reason.

I use the basic plan and I couldn't be happier. You shouldn't need more than that.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Personally I'd go for MDDHosting if I was in your position. It's quality hosting with a personal service!

Have you looked into hosting with Hostpolar? Their web hosting service is great, fast servers too. I've never used MDDhosting.

@Hostgator can't be trusted, I'll be making a thread about them soon.

Thanks all for your replies, it has been very helpful.

Right now I will probably go with MDDhosting. My only question is what the speeds are like on their shared packages? This was one thing that I liked about Powweb, as speed wise the service had been pretty good in recent years.

Would the package ordered (Basic/Intermediate/Advanced) have any impact on the speed as well?

MDD for shared is fine. They're on my list of good shared providers.

HostPolar was just mentioned too, for a VPS. That's another good company to go with.
    I wrote a long review on another site.

Powweb sucks. They're one of the EIG companies. It doesn't get much worse.
    I'm surprised you were able to use them as long as you did.

You're going in the right direction.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Thanks all for your replies, it has been very helpful.

Right now I will probably go with MDDhosting. My only question is what the speeds are like on their shared packages? This was one thing that I liked about Powweb, as speed wise the service had been pretty good in recent years.

Would the package ordered (Basic/Intermediate/Advanced) have any impact on the speed as well?
    If you want to test the speed of their servers, you can use this link. That's a fairly database intensive WP site that I haven't gotten around to finishing yet. There's no caching plugin on that as of now. Just straight up WP. And as you can see, the speed is pretty darn good (for $6.38 a month).

I'm pretty sure the package you choose won't effect speed, but I'll let Mike answer that one.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

I think shared is the way to go in your case. 30 - 40 concurrent users is usually the time you start thinking about moving a growing forum from shared to something higher (semi-dedicate, VPS, or dedicated), but in your case you are maintaining a site that is not growing fast (and could be in decline).

Hosts can't recommend their own services in this forum. Happy customers can recommend their host, though.

I'm very happy with my VPS at MDDHosting, and I can highly recommend them based on service and support. The shared customers in the forums (open to the public) are happy with the recent improvements to MySql on the servers, so I think a shared plan there would work well for you. Or, a semi-dedicated plan would be great too (it all depends on your traffic going forward.