Thoughts on .CO domain for company identity?

Registering a new LLC, and the name's abbreviations is available as a short 5 letter .co domain (including 'llc').

This will not be used to offer any services, rather list information regarding the company as well as current (and any future) brand(s).

My only concern is, the .com equivalent is taken (As usually the case) and I really have no interest in registering the full business name as a dot com as it's too long.

While .CO is being marketed as the 'new dot com', appropriate for online business, etc I still feel that it's to easy to accidentally add an "m" to the end out of habit of typing "com" as opposed to "co". As an American based business, I don't want it to be mistaken as Columbian based (.CO is still a ccTLD) nor target that demographic.

Am I over thinking this or should I just buy the domain?
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

I wouldn't use .co for anything that matters (such as a business) - unless I'm trying to run a business in Colombia.

They may well be trying to market it as "the new .com", but it isn't. It's the country code for Colombia. All it takes is for the Colombian government to decide that it wants it back for its own people, and you could lose your domain. (It's happened before - both in Colombia* and elsewhere!)

*About ten years ago we had "uk.co as the new .co.uk". The Colombian government pulled the plug on it.

I wouldn't bother with .co.

Thanks for the insight. Now, to Plan B...
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

I have visited some business websites with .CO extension but I still prefer to .com as it is old and most of the people are familiar with it. .CO is a good domain extension for company site but it will take time to being popular among people.

Quote Originally Posted by nancysmith View Post
    I have visited some business websites with .CO extension but I still prefer to .com as it is old and most of the people are familiar with it. .CO is a good domain extension for company site but it will take time to being popular among people.
    It's not a good extension because .co stands for Colombia, not "company". ".co for company" is just wishful thinking.

I think it will take a long time before .Co replaces .Com however I do think it is possible because it is spelled like .com but it is shorter. Yes, originally .co was for columbia however after discussion it is now marketed as company.

Here is a good video to watch:
    http://thisweekin.com/thisweekin-sta...n-diego-calle/

You should try to register all extensions for your business and if not atleast try to:

.com
    .co
    .net
    .info

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Active View Post
    I think it will take a long time before .Co replaces .Com however I do think it is possible because it is spelled like .com but it is shorter. Yes, originally .co was for columbia however after discussion it is now marketed as company.
    To say it was originally meant for Colombia (but isn't any more) is just nonsense.

It is, always was, and always will be the country code for Colombia, and no amount of clever marketing will change that.

It belongs to Colombia, and if the Colombian government decides it doesn't want any of this ".co for company" stuff any more then that's entirely up to them and anybody who got fooled by the clever marketing will lose their domains.

You should try to register all extensions for your business
    Yeah, right - all 200+ country codes, plus existing GTLDs, plus all the fancy new GTLDs... fine if you're a millionaire or a multinational, but somewhat over the top for your average business.

and if not atleast try to:

.com
    .co
    .net
    .info
    .com - yes.
    .net - yes.
    .info - maybe.
    .co - if you're in Colombia

And in addition to .com and .net one should definitely register one's own country code

Don't use .co. Nothing will ever be like a .com

Better to use the .com, you are likely to lose traffic to the .co domain

I think com is better rather then co.

yes, your concern regarding visitors by mistake write .com instead of .co

Quote Originally Posted by Vazapi-Curtis View Post
    Registering a new LLC, and the name's abbreviations is available as a short 5 letter .co domain (including 'llc').

This will not be used to offer any services, rather list information regarding the company as well as current (and any future) brand(s).

My only concern is, the .com equivalent is taken (As usually the case) and I really have no interest in registering the full business name as a dot com as it's too long.

While .CO is being marketed as the 'new dot com', appropriate for online business, etc I still feel that it's to easy to accidentally add an "m" to the end out of habit of typing "com" as opposed to "co". As an American based business, I don't want it to be mistaken as Columbian based (.CO is still a ccTLD) nor target that demographic.

Am I over thinking this or should I just buy the domain?