Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VolumeDrive VPS is a no go for us

Hi,

Just want to say that VolumeDrive VPS Package 1 is a no go for us and here's a few monir issue we had so you can take note of them before you buy.

1. Was delivered around 60 hours after initial order was created. At 4,95USD/month, it's okay for us but a bit long.

2. Unable to start ConfigServer firewall
    We have tried to install configserver.com firewall on a new VPS and I can
    see that the VPS iptables rule limit (numiptent) is too low.

When I try to start the firewall, it gives me this error message:

Error: The VPS iptables rule limit (numiptent) is too low (119/128) -
    stopping firewall to prevent iptables blocking all connections, at line 1573
    3- I tried to create a backup in the vePortal but right from start, they were already 1(one) backup created. I tried to view, delete, download and was never able to do it. So unable to create a new backup.

4- Console doesn't work in their vePortal. We know we have full access to SSH but it's a feature of vePortal. If it doesn't work, remove it please.

5- No tos or policy on their website

6- No billing interface or ticket system

The above could be different with anyone. This is just to let you know what kind of minor issue we had with the VPS so you when you order, you can have at least information toward their services.

Best Regards,

Have you informed VolumeDrive staff about the potential issues that you've listed ?

The client portal is currently undergoing maintenance. It will be back soon with enhanced updates. Please message info@volumedrive.com if you have any concerns.
    It seems that their client panel is under maintenance but they do clearly list some email address for contact and support.
    SlickWebHost::Quality Personal and Business Hosting Solutions
    USA and UK, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, R1Soft Shared Hosting
    USA and UK Virtual Private Servers with Best Connectivity to Europe, North America and Asia
    SlickWebHost::Non-outsourced 24/7 Support

Did you contact them about #2, that's just a beancounter that needs to be increased. I suspect they would have had no problem doing that for you.
    Regarding the backup, that may be by design. Not many value hosts offer backups.

Since we're sharing our experiences, I guess I'll share mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by hostnmail View Post
    1. Was delivered around 60 hours after initial order was created. At 4,95USD/month, it's okay for us but a bit long.
    Sounds about right for manual provisioning. Once they get a proper client management system put into place I'm sure this will improve. My order was completed in under 24 hours, but that was over a month ago.

Send an email to their support department and they'll raise your beancounters. They were quick to respond to me and things have run perfectly since then. (Wow, 24 days uptime now on a $8.95 VPS )

3- I tried to create a backup in the vePortal but right from start, they were already 1(one) backup created. I tried to view, delete, download and was never able to do it. So unable to create a new backup.
    As far as I know, they don't make any promises about backups. If you have any important data on the VPS, you may wish to look into an alternative backup solution. I'm using my VPS as a stream server so I'm not too worried about any of the data on it since it's static and I have a copy sitting here locally.

4- Console doesn't work in their vePortal. We know we have full access to SSH but it's a feature of vePortal. If it doesn't work, remove it please.
    What command(s) are you trying to use? It is rather selective about what it responds to. I'd recommend using a proper SSH client.

5- No tos or policy on their website
    That is a bit of a problem. If you send them an email, I'm sure they will answer any questions you have (at some point). I've never tried their info address so I can't comment on the response time there. Support was fine the last time I used it, but that was a few weeks ago.

The above could be different with anyone. This is just to let you know what kind of minor issue we had with the VPS so you when you order, you can have at least information toward their services.
    I've been rather impressed with the service I get for the price I pay. I suppose I need to write my own review at some point, lol. I'll definitely be grabbing one of their dedicated servers during the next sale.
    AudioProbe.net - Playing the best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and more...
    Commercial free, high quality 192kb/s, and firewall friendly port 80!
    Look for us in the iTunes Radio directory under Adult Contemporary

I wouldn't recommend getting a dedicated server from volumedrive. I'm not sure if it was just a hardware fault with the server I had, but it hard reset itself whenever I went above 40Mb/s network usage, RDP also randomly died for extended periods of time. I could not get above 10Mb/s network without a lot of threads.

Smile

Hi all,

Thanks for taking time to answer to my thread!

For the ConfigServer firewall, I did send an email to both info and support but did not received a response for more than 36 hours at this time. If I did recal right, numiptent is set to 100. It should be around 800 ~ 1000.

For the Console, you are right that I should use SSH which I also prefer. I just took level 1 VPS without any control panel and install my own cPanel with an external licence that I have using SSH.

Thanks for the links you found on google. I've should have made a search. Google knows everything else than google can't find Chuck Norris.
    Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris
    I was also impress and still are about the VPS plans and dedicated offers from VolumeDrive. I wish them all the best and they will surely keep getting customers. Once they get a client area and automatic setup for VPS, they will surely be in business with the big one.

I had the same problem with config server and firewall, I emailed them the error and within 24 hours, they had it increased for me and i was under way. I dont care about a billing/support ticket software like others do. The email is working just fine for me. They have manual billing which i like. Im all around happy with volumedrive with my vps's and also my dedicated.

This is a simple UBC setting that needs to be increased. Again, please contact support and we'll take care of this.

6- No billing interface or ticket system

Our billing system is internal. That being said, we are currently in the process of developing a complete new in-house system that will permit clients to, invoice history, set RDNS directly, track support tickets, etc...

Currently all issues can be reported to support via support @ volumedrive.com and one of our techs will get right back to you and you'll receive your invoice via email five days before your account is set to renew. So yes the new system will be excellent and streamline a ton of things. However, we aren't bad off now and your services shouldn't be effected at all or your overall client experience.

I tried contacting support but I never get any response. I have bought package 1 and 3 recently, and would like a full refund! I'll send a ticket right now about it, hope it'll be solved soon..

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTeeler View Post
    I have bought package 1 and 3 recently, and would like a full refund! I'll send a ticket right now about it, hope it'll be solved soon..
    You opened a ticket a few hours ago simply saying that you are having a few issues without even giving support the opportunity to resolve these for you. Please be a little more patient.

I'm talking about my previous emails, I did not get a single reply.

We've just sent you an explanation about the UBC counters and how you may need to increase certain limits.

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    We've just sent you an explanation about the UBC counters and how you may need to increase certain limits.
    Please consider raising them by default.
    You're creating a lot of unnecessary negative PR and wasted time in human intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    Please consider raising them by default.
    You're creating a lot of unnecessary negative PR and wasted time in human intervention.
    We have raised them by default recently! A good percentage of any issues we are seeing is usually a result of one particular UBC parameter not being high enough and or end-user caused issues.

I bought my server a on the 22nd and sent multiple emails asking about RAM upgrade. They did not answer until yesterday and said it was not possible. Because of the ridiculous lag / bad service I asked for a refund, they were persistent and recommended I let them "fix" it. I decided it was a waste of time and wanted a full refund this is what they said..

"We can surely cancel and refund your order that has not been processed yet. Please provide your transaction ID. However, your existing account... we've asked you several times to check your UBC set and let us know if you have any fail counts so we can correct this."

I ordered my VPS 1 yesterday and did not receive it so the refund should not be a problem..I bought my VPS 3 about 3 days ago and asked for refund YESTERDAY...

I bought my VPS 3 about 3 days ago and asked for refund YESTERDAY...
    1.) YESTERDAY was a Sunday. Billing usually works M-F, and the priority on refunds is low.
    2.) Not all hosts offer a refund on active services, and most who do offer it pro-rated. Have you checked their refund policy?

They replied to me yesterday, but didn't let me refund. Kept going on about UBC issues.

Honestly, they have been terrible and their servers are not what they claim to be. After experiencing all these issues within 2 days, why can't I get my refund back?

Everything is solved, I got my full refund.

Honestly, they have been terrible and their servers are not what they claim to be. After experiencing all these issues within 2 days, why can't I get my refund back?
    This is comical. How can you claim anything when we have been asking you non-stop about UBC settings and if you are seeing any variables that are showing fail counts? We can easily correct this. Nonetheless, seems that we cannot get through to you, so we will gladly send you a refund for both orders. We are working with you via your existing support ticket.

Secondly, we said that we do not offer more than 4GB of ram on our VPS accounts and if you need more you may want to look at a dedicated server.

Our VPS services run on OpenVZ. UBC settings are very important to performance and have nothing to do with the node that the services are on. If you'd like to do some reading, feel free.

http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters

Why should it be corrected anyways and not dealt with before you gave me the server? Why should a customer have to experience this ********?

We have recently set the default values much higher so most customers do not have any trouble at all. However, depending on the services / resources used, particular UBC variables may not be high enough and simply need to be adjusted. This really is a non-issue as it's a quick adjustment on our end.

how much time they need to answer on mail ?

I've been with VolumeDrive for almost a month now. Their response time varies; however, I have never had to wait more than an hour. I've sent them 12 emails ( I have 3 Xeons with them too) in the past 2 weeks, and all were responded to promptly. I will be writing up a 1 month review pretty soon.

I have a VPS Package #2, my current thoughts:

1. The inode capacity should not be 200,000 at default. Volume drive needs to increase this if they haven't already. They will happily increase this upon request, however!

2. My setup time took about 4 hours. I originally purchased a #1 package, and asked to be upgraded about 30 minutes after setup. The upgrade took them about 30 minutes to complete.

3. My VPS has not had any major downtime, but a few days ago it was randomly going offline and online. I e-mailed them about this issue, and so far it has not occurred again.

4. If you are purchasing with the intent of hosting, make sure you request the second ip to be on a different subnet when you place the order.

5. No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. This is occurring on my IP at least. I have not e-mailed them about this yet.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with their services. If I do not encounter any more random periods of small downtime I will give them a 5/5.
    Last edited by JWeib; 04-25-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast