VPS WebHosting w/o Kloxo?

Sorry no TL;DR

Hi there!

Currently, I do not have a TLD (yet) and I cant make a private NS so that my website(s) in kloxo would work. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

And currently I'm running a minecraft server on my VPS fine, and used a free domain provider that allows me to set the A values. So minecraft players can connect by using the domain instead of the ip address which might not be thaaat presentable.

Anyways, I was curious and then typed that domain (A valued to my VPS IP) in an internet browser and found out I can actually set a single website that way. I read the Apache default screen, and put the files in the correct folders and I can actually see my site.

SO. Now I'd like to know is this a safe enough way to do it? Or is using Kloxo much more safer?

Because I'm planning to build an online portfolio soon (Design student) and would be great if I can use the VPS that runs MC that I'm planning to keep, rather than buy another webhost

But thats for a single website only, if possible I'd like to host afew websites, for eg, Minecraft website, and afew of my friends portfolio.

2 situations:
    1) A single website hosted on my VPS
    2) A few websites hosted on my VPS

My guess:
    1) It's possible without using Kloxo
    2) I need Kloxo (webmin cpanel etc)

Sorry no TL;DR

Hi,
    It is possible without any control panel kloxo or other. Hosting started without control panels, then over time, they come to be the norm. (edit added) Using the control panel will make your life much simpler, but it is not needed if you don't have it. It just makes it easier.

now, what I think...
    Find out if you can put a second domain name to that site for your portfolio site. If you are sending people to your portfolio , then by all means, spend the less than $10 a year and buy a domain name with your name in it. It will make it look much more professional in appearance.

If it is a VPS, you should be able to have several domains without any extra fees. If you don't know how, then ask your host to set it up for you when you are ready. Then put your portfolio site there.

If it were me, I would keep both sites in their own site space, in case the game server got hacked.

Have a nice day,
    Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

Quote Originally Posted by superiorhost View Post
    Hi,
    It is possible without any control panel kloxo or other. Hosting started without control panels, then over time, they come to be the norm. (edit added) Using the control panel will make your life much simpler, but it is not needed if you don't have it. It just makes it easier.

now, what I think...
    Find out if you can put a second domain name to that site for your portfolio site. If you are sending people to your portfolio , then by all means, spend the less than $10 a year and buy a domain name with your name in it. It will make it look much more professional in appearance.

If it is a VPS, you should be able to have several domains without any extra fees. If you don't know how, then ask your host to set it up for you when you are ready. Then put your portfolio site there.

If it were me, I would keep both sites in their own site space, in case the game server got hacked.

Have a nice day,
    Tim L
    Thanks for the quick reply!

1) Ouh I didnt know that. I guess it'll be easier because it has the GUI for managing websites.

2) Yeah sure I'm planning to buy a TLD as soon as I decide where to host my portfolio. It's not in my top priority list actually so I thought if it's possible, might as well do it. hehe

By "Second Domain" you mean? What I had in mind when you said that is that the visitor have to go to myportfolio*com (That has A values of my VPS IP) and then when they are there, provide them a link to myfriendsportfolio*com and minecraftserver*com? But how does that work? Domain CP for myfriendsportfolio*com and minecraftserver*com cant point to a specific folder in that VPS right? That is when I need to use Kloxo?

But all in all, my friend and my game server dont need a seperate domain since they are technically navigating around my website.

3) Yeah I know what you mean but the best part is that this game server is only for family and friends thats why I had no worries. The worries came from web visitors to my site(s) that is hosted without kloxo. I just thought they might be able to hack thru and access my files other than the website files. (Noob here, so i might be talking gibberish! )

EDIT: Oh, I think i get what you mean by "second domain".. basically I have to have configuration file(s) that redirects visitiors to the specific folders for different domain? WHich basically means I'm actually setting pirvate NS without kloxo GUI?
    Last edited by Master Server; 04-22-2011 at 02:33 PM.

You're mixing up two different issues here: DNS and virtualhosts.

DNS is needed to translate myfriendsportfolio.com into the IP address of your VPS. It can be set up anywhere, but is commonly either set at the registrar or the host. Without you running private nameservers your friend can still set your IP address at his registrar, if they offer a hosted DNS service, or at a third party DNS provider. Once DNS is working you can type myfriendsportfolio.com into your browser and it will send a request to your VPS IP address, just like it does for myportfolio.com.

So how does the webserver on your VPS know which website to send? Virtualhosts allow a webserver to serve different websites from a single IP address, and yes, depending on the domain name in the incoming request the webserver will choose a directory to use for the website's files.

You can set up both of these yourself using the manuals and Google for help but if you're just starting off a control panel would save you a lot of time and head-scratching.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    You're mixing up two different issues here: DNS and virtualhosts.

DNS is needed to translate myfriendsportfolio.com into the IP address of your VPS. It can be set up anywhere, but is commonly either set at the registrar or the host. Without you running private nameservers your friend can still set your IP address at his registrar, if they offer a hosted DNS service, or at a third party DNS provider. Once DNS is working you can type myfriendsportfolio.com into your browser and it will send a request to your VPS IP address, just like it does for myportfolio.com.

So how does the webserver on your VPS know which website to send? Virtualhosts allow a webserver to serve different websites from a single IP address, and yes, depending on the domain name in the incoming request the webserver will choose a directory to use for the website's files.

You can set up both of these yourself using the manuals and Google for help but if you're just starting off a control panel would save you a lot of time and head-scratching.
    Oouhh Ok i think i got it, correct me if im wrong, the VPS will be the one containing the virtual host? It will redirect you to the correct folders depending on which Domain you are coming from.

The reason I'm trying to move away from CPs is because I realise after installing Kloxo, idle mem usage would be 300mb and It'll be great if I can figure out how to hosts multiple domains without using any CPs because the GameServers could use the most memory.

I guess I'll try to look into kloxo again... but I think I should try to read up up setting a low memory usage virtual host . I was thinking a Control Panel is not need because I'll be the one managing the websites and I wouldnt need control panels for my friend to use. But I gotta admit it makes managing a webhost easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Server View Post
    Sorry no TL;DR

Hi there!

Currently, I do not have a TLD (yet) and I cant make a private NS so that my website(s) in kloxo would work. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

And currently I'm running a minecraft server on my VPS fine, and used a free domain provider that allows me to set the A values. So minecraft players can connect by using the domain instead of the ip address which might not be thaaat presentable.

Anyways, I was curious and then typed that domain (A valued to my VPS IP) in an internet browser and found out I can actually set a single website that way. I read the Apache default screen, and put the files in the correct folders and I can actually see my site.

SO. Now I'd like to know is this a safe enough way to do it? Or is using Kloxo much more safer?

Because I'm planning to build an online portfolio soon (Design student) and would be great if I can use the VPS that runs MC that I'm planning to keep, rather than buy another webhost

But thats for a single website only, if possible I'd like to host afew websites, for eg, Minecraft website, and afew of my friends portfolio.

2 situations:
    1) A single website hosted on my VPS
    2) A few websites hosted on my VPS

My guess:
    1) It's possible without using Kloxo
    2) I need Kloxo (webmin cpanel etc)

Sorry no TL;DR
    Whatever you can do in Kloxo, you can do in the command line. It may not be all that efficient but it can still be done.

--cP
    Revo4 - The Revolution In Clustered Hosting.
    Redundant H-Sphere Linux Hosting w/ True 99.9% Uptime.
    Why Not Get Started Today?
    corey @ revo4.com

Ok after setting up kloxo, how do I began creating FTP accounts so that different domains could be hosted on 1 machine?
    I did my research last time and only got to the point where I will need my own NS servers which means I would need to buy a TLD first.
    Is that true? OR can I just create accounts so that when visitors go to myportfolio*com/myfriendportfolio*com/gameserver*com it will be redirected to respective folders?

Ogaaaay.... I cant seem to find the edit post button. So I had to do a new reply.

Ok SOMEHOW I managed to put a website up. But I don't know if this is the proper/safe way.

In Kloxo:

Since I couldnt "Add Domain" since I have not set the DNS Template,

1) The DNS Template, I gave them a name and I inserted an "X" in Primary DNS. then add.

2) Add domain, specify a folder name (/home/admin/websitename)

3) FTP is automatically created

4) Went to the Control panel for the DOMAIN. and then pointed A Value to my VPS IP Address

5) Used a FTP Client software to upload to the folder. in my vps. Managed to log in.

ANd I visited the website, it's up....

Am I jumping too many stones here?