Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* can i put my pc as a server ?

hii guyz ..

i m launching a new website but for some reasons i dont wanna go for web hosting services and i m planning to make my pc as a server ..so for this my asp is allowing me to make my pc as a server , but i have 512kbps connection speed so is this speed is good to make my website running smooth .( my website is dynamic page )

if this is possible tell me what else i will need to make my pc as a server where all the data on my website will get store at mysql backend

my pc has a good processor amd 2.8ghz ..2gb ram 500bg hdd..

yes, if you want only one person being able to access your site at a time, losing internet access because your ISP cuts you off for TOS violations, and your site being down half the time

i said he allowed me to make my pc as a server i m not voilating his tos ..then what are the requirments

0,5Mbit is FAR to slow, even for small sites.
    You want at least 2-5Mbit, or better 10+.

Go with Hosting, you do NOT want the hassle when hosting at home.

You can get good hosting for around $5.

I agree with others. You can get hosting for a very cheap price. It's much more of a hassle and most ISP's do not allow you to run servers.
    ModulaOne Network - Premium, Reliable, & Affordable
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee. 15 Day Money-Back Guarantee.
    cPanel/ WHM | Nginx + Varnish | CloudFlare | Softaculous

its not a good idea

is not a good idea to make your home server ... you will pay much more for electricity .. then if you buy a webspace from any provider will guarantee you a good uptime and network

Indeed, that is not a good bet for electricity and pretty bad upload speeds.

Get free hosting if you can't afford to pay for hosting. Its a lot better than hosting at home. Although if you are serious about making money online you should pay the $2-3 it costs per month to host a site at a commercial host. Free hosting can be unreliable.

hell, you can go pay $0.99/3year at hostable and you'd get better uptime than hosting at home and it would cost you like tenfold less in power costs

You get what you pay for, just make sure your getting the up speed as well, as your upload speed determines the site load with your customers. For the cost of hosting its not really worth it though.
    "your vision our support"
    Cheap website hosting | Cheap web hosting
    UK cPanel Hosting with R1 Soft Hourly Backups, and Softaculous

I would highly recommend against hosting it on your home PC unless your internet connection was over 10Mbps upload. It is cheaper and less work if you just order a shared hosting account or a vps.
    Tailored VPS offers fully customizable VPS Hosting
    Powered by OpenVZ | Servers located in the USA | 99.9% Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Jay View Post
    I would highly recommend against hosting it on your home PC unless your internet connection was over 10Mbps upload. It is cheaper and less work if you just order a shared hosting account or a vps.
    Absolutely, and of course the connection will cost more than hosting, and it will only be broadband so the speed could be so variable.
    "your vision our support"
    Cheap website hosting | Cheap web hosting
    UK cPanel Hosting with R1 Soft Hourly Backups, and Softaculous

You could run a site of your PC from home but with that connection you wont even be able to download a picture within 5 mins. It'll be slow and your site will be going up and down. also not alot of users can be on it at once.

That will be to slow,better buy vps

My neighbor does this on a 756Kbps up line, and it's working for him (I wish he could host my sites too). Yes, you can do that, but if you start getting a lot of traffic, you'll either have to pay through the roof for a T1 line, or move your pc to a datacenter and colocate. I ran a site like that for a little while to show a client a test site while it was on a VM before I got hosting for it. It worked fine.

You can get business class DSL to your house, that will allow you to host your site and give you a static IP (which you will need to host the site), but it will probably cost more than a quality VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    My neighbor does this on a 756Kbps up line, and it's working for him (I wish he could host my sites too). Yes, you can do that, but if you start getting a lot of traffic, you'll either have to pay through the roof for a T1 line, or move your pc to a datacenter and colocate. I ran a site like that for a little while to show a client a test site while it was on a VM before I got hosting for it. It worked fine.

You can get business class DSL to your house, that will allow you to host your site and give you a static IP (which you will need to host the site), but it will probably cost more than a quality VPS.
    Nearly all ISPs forbid hosting on home lines, and some actively block the ports required to host web/email/ftp servers.

Personally, this is a terrible idea. Spare a few bucks a month and get a VPS at least.

Quote Originally Posted by naved View Post
    hii guyz ..

i m launching a new website but for some reasons i dont wanna go for web hosting services and i m planning to make my pc as a server ..so for this my asp is allowing me to make my pc as a server , but i have 512kbps connection speed so is this speed is good to make my website running smooth .( my website is dynamic page )

if this is possible tell me what else i will need to make my pc as a server where all the data on my website will get store at mysql backend

my pc has a good processor amd 2.8ghz ..2gb ram 500bg hdd..
    Don't do it.
    Get a VPS or dedicated server.

There are so many reasons why, but perhaps the most important reason is that the electricity is going to cost more than a VPS, which will handle your needs.

If you want to learn, do it (for fun).
    If you want a reliable website, get proper hosting

Yeh, that is very slow.

Although I used to have Qwest DSL as an ISP and they allowed you to host servers, as long as it was legal.

Technically it is possible but 512kbps is just too slow. The total download speed of your site would be 64kb/sec.

So if one visitor is download from your site at 64kb/sec then your other users will be jammed.

I hope you get the picture.
    More than decade with webhosting!

get a $15/year vps from BuyVM. that is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    Nearly all ISPs forbid hosting on home lines, and some actively block the ports required to host web/email/ftp servers.

Personally, this is a terrible idea. Spare a few bucks a month and get a VPS at least.
    It isn't on a home line and it isn't cheaper. He has business class DSL that allows hosting the site to his house, said he considered a T1, but decided he didn't need the bandwidth and it was too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by gsofttehnic View Post
    is not a good idea to make your home server ... you will pay much more for electricity .. then if you buy a webspace from any provider will guarantee you a good uptime and network
    Words of truth right here!
    Hostwinds Unlimited Web Hosting
    Cpanel/WHM | Not Oversold | Low Server Loads | Reseller / Business Plans Available
    Cloud Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast