Managed Dedicated Server

Hello, We currently have roughly 100 domains on a dedicated server from Rackspace. We are not having any issue other than we have a older version of RedHat on it and they won't let us upgrade we would need to go to another server and do the transfer.

We currently are paying ~$700/month for this server and our web designer has made a suggestion that we could probably do our hosting on another provider with newer software version and more control.

He suggested HostGator.

We are looking for a Dedicated Managed Server that we can use to host our small sites. Our biggest domain pulls 40GB/month rest are very small.

What do you guys suggest? We are looking for great reliability, great support, and lower price if possible.

Try Liquidweb and Dedicatednow.com both offer top notch managed services. It would be hard time finding a managed hosting like Rackspace.

Do you have any specific locations needs or can it be anywhere in the U.S.?
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Hard Drive: 250GB SATA, HDD RPM: 7200, GB Hard Drive: 250
    IP Allocation: 2 IPs, # IPs: 2
    Included Bandwidth: Included Bandwidth, GB Bandwidth: 1000
    Memory: 8GB DDR RAM, GB Memory: 8
    Processor: Single Socket Quad Core AMD Opteron 1354 , #Processors: 1
    RAID: SATA RAID Controller (RAID 5)
    Whitebox Tower: Whitebox Tower

We are East Coast (NY) but doesn't matter to us as long as it is fast.

Dedicatednow.com is based on NJ, Should have good connectivity to your location. They offer managed solution.

are you going to stick with redhat enterprise linux? ( which is great ) , or you are considering a "free" distro such as CentOS Linux ?

I suggest DirectAdmin + CentOS server , it's easy to use and will handle all your needs with the latest software installed.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

It sounds like you're not getting your money's worth out of rackspace if they're charging $700 / mo and aren't being flexible about upgrading your software or server. At the same time, I wouldn't pick hostgator, it's totally at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Liquidweb seems to have a good reputation on here for fully managed services. They're not inexpensive, but they should be a lot cheaper than rackspace while giving you a similar quality of management, and allowing you to upgrade to a newer server / software that you're looking for.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

for $700 / mo the upgrade should be included
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Rackspace is really for those rich people that do not care about money :-)

You can get a better server with that budget.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Rackspace is really for those rich people that do not care about money :-)
    Not too sure about that... When you need really specific procedures when something goes wrong (own software, so it was not just throwing up a webserver and MySQL after a cash), they are awesome and simply 100% different from other companies. You need to be an (ex-)customer who has been to their datacenter & office to see and understand that....

However, in this case any (decent) (managed) hosting provider should do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fluidimagery View Post
    Hello, We currently have roughly 100 domains on a dedicated server from Rackspace. We are not having any issue other than we have a older version of RedHat on it and they won't let us upgrade we would need to go to another server and do the transfer.

We currently are paying ~$700/month for this server and our web designer has made a suggestion that we could probably do our hosting on another provider with newer software version and more control.

He suggested HostGator.

We are looking for a Dedicated Managed Server that we can use to host our small sites. Our biggest domain pulls 40GB/month rest are very small.

What do you guys suggest? We are looking for great reliability, great support, and lower price if possible.
    With your budget, any managed provider will be able to help you.
    The more popular ones around include Liquidweb and Wiredtree.

Furthermore, you might want to consider a server management company that is separate from the hosting provider.

Quote Originally Posted by chennaihomie View Post
    Try Liquidweb and Dedicatednow.com both offer top notch managed services. It would be hard time finding a managed hosting like Rackspace.
    Another vote for DedicatedNOW

Edit: you can also consider UK as its close to East Coast USA.
    Last edited by HostXNow_Chris; 04-23-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added more info

would VPS make any sense for us?

would VPS make any sense for us?
    Replacing a quad core dedicated server with a VPS is a bad idea, unless you aren't using much of resources or you are going for a big 8GB RAM VPS

I am not sure how to find resources used, but our biggest site pulls 30/GB month.

Rest are very small sites.

Try cloud hosting over VPS in that case.

19. There are plenty of hosts that would gladly upgrade your OS version and would also fit well within your budget, giving you more control over your managed solution. Is your current location important or is this something flexible for you? That may assist in others helping you find a better solution.

Best of luck.

I'm in the exact same position as fluidimagery. Rackspace wants $800+/month for a new server with RHEL6 (currently at RHEL4), to host about 100 domains, with similar server specs.

I'm currently paying $450/month -- I got in with them about 10 years ago -- so that's almost a 50% increase.

And I thought dedicated prices were decreasing.

Without going into detail, Rackspace's Fanatical Support is not what it used to be, so it's not a strong selling point for me.

I contacted Liquidweb for a quote but got only cursory attention.

I'm still looking for a new provider and open to suggestions.

He suggested HostGator.

I would really commend you look up Colocrossing.
    I have heard good things about them
    Great pricing too. Give them a call.
    I have not used them my self as im in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by dietcheese View Post
    I'm in the exact same position as fluidimagery. Rackspace wants $800+/month for a new server with RHEL6 (currently at RHEL4), to host about 100 domains, with similar server specs.

I'm currently paying $450/month -- I got in with them about 10 years ago -- so that's almost a 50% increase.

And I thought dedicated prices were decreasing.

Without going into detail, Rackspace's Fanatical Support is not what it used to be, so it's not a strong selling point for me.

I contacted Liquidweb for a quote but got only cursory attention.

I'm still looking for a new provider and open to suggestions.
    Dedicated prices are going up, you just get more powerful hardware for your money these days. Labor, electricity, taxes, all of that is rising. This is especially important for rackspace whose largest expense by far is labor. If you look at commodity prices over the last 10 years (gold, oil, food, etc) you can plainly see that there has been massive inflation even as the government pretends that it does not exist. The only reason other things like hosting haven't risen in price more is because wages haven't kept pace with living expenses; i.e. workers are being paid less in real buying power; i.e. we're all becoming poorer because of reckless government spending and burdonsome regulations.

</rant>

You might be able to get a better price from rackspace by negotiating. It only makes sense that they would start out quoting high, since many of their customers are corporate drones who are spending other people's money. Maybe you can talk them down.

Good day:

IOFLOOD.com, I hear the rant... especially when President Obama told all business owners "YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjPI6no5ng

I hope all small business owners send this anti-small business President Obama a very strong message come November 2012.

###

RHEL 4 / CentOS 4 went EOL in February; that's not the fault of Rackspace.com

And Rackspace.com tech's are correct the best approach would be a new server, and a migration.

You should be able to negotiate a lower price on the newer server; and share with Rackspace.com you are looking at leaving.. and that should help with the negotiation.

I strongly recommend giving SoftLayer.com a look as their network is comparable to Rackspace.com

You could go with commodity provider, but you would most likely end up with more down time over time that the cost of the down time would far exceed the savings.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicnet View Post
    Good day:

IOFLOOD.com, I hear the rant... especially when President Obama told all business owners "YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjPI6no5ng

I hope all small business owners send this anti-small business President Obama a very strong message come November 2012.

###

RHEL 4 / CentOS 4 went EOL in February; that's not the fault of Rackspace.com

And Rackspace.com tech's are correct the best approach would be a new server, and a migration.

You should be able to negotiate a lower price on the newer server; and share with Rackspace.com you are looking at leaving.. and that should help with the negotiation.

I strongly recommend giving SoftLayer.com a look as their network is comparable to Rackspace.com

You could go with commodity provider, but you would most likely end up with more down time over time that the cost of the down time would far exceed the savings.

Thank you.
    From a practical standpoint the best option is negotiations as you suggested. The only reason to have a list price for these kinds of companies is so that they have room to move down during negotiations to make every customer feel they got a special deal.

On the rant side of things, I don't feel that either candidate will move things in the right direction. Reducing government spending is political suicide, as 82% of the budget is social security, defense spending, medicare, or interest on the national debt. Each of those major areas has strong vested interests in the voting population, and with major elections typically decided by a margin of only a couple percent, there's no political will for reducing spending by any meaningful amount. With tax receipts only clocking in at 2/3 of federal spending, you'd have to completely slash government spending in order to even stop the debt from growing, and that assumes that interest rates don't rise from historically their lowest levels ever. The only politically acceptable solution is to print money to make up the difference, driving up the cost of everything we buy. We could potentially make progress by growing the economy, as a larger economy can more easily shoulder the burden of government spending, however, the political climate is very much anti-business, pro-regulations, so the chances of any growth happening is slim to none as well. Time spent trying to comply with regulations is time not spent serving my customers, and the economy suffers as a result, it's really that simple, and both sides of the aisle are just interested in more regulations to "protect" consumers and employees, nevermind that the end result is to make everyone poorer, especially those same consumers and employees.

I prefer OVH, they have reasonable price with reasonable specification. If you looking for support, hostgator can be your first option. But for me, I prefer to managed my server alone with cloudlinux installed rather than depends on hosting company.

$700 for what you have should get you a weekly massage as well!
    I agree that you can not upgrade the op system on the fly, but they should be able to provision a temp server, migrate your data, then either transfer the disks back to your original machine or leave you on the new one...
    ALL this should be included in your crazy $700 fee (unless this in not USD)
    Nexxterra.com Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    MassiveServers.com Dedicated servers - Miami, Florida, USA
    BuyAWebName.com Domain name registration

Quote Originally Posted by nexxterra View Post
    $700 for what you have should get you a weekly massage as well!
    I agree that you can not upgrade the op system on the fly, but they should be able to provision a temp server, migrate your data, then either transfer the disks back to your original machine or leave you on the new one...
    ALL this should be included in your crazy $700 fee (unless this in not USD)
    Agree..

Just like I did before, get the small Dedicated Server and if the specification is not sufficient, I'll upgrade it.. My datacenter do it all for me. Just need few times to propagate the DNS.

Based on the specs you posted here, I really think you should be going in a different direction.

If you want to stick with a dedicated server, forget RAID5 and SATA - go for something like RAID10 with SAS drives. You will get A LOT more bang for your dollar this route and your database driven sites will fly in comparison - with this one simple change.

After that though, looking at your requirements - you may be better off building a small virtualized cluster. Something like a cloud server for web services and a VPS node for DB services. Would cost you around half as much, would give you the latest and greatest tech, would give you the benefits of separating out services onto specialized nodes (helps from all perspectives, including security, performance, reliability, scalability, etc) and would dramatically increase your reliability - lastly, it would also allow you to scale resources for each respective service in a granular and pretty well seamless manner...

I think rackspace can provide you either of the above solutions if you wanted to stick with them as well
    Last edited by cartika-andrew; 08-19-2012 at 03:38 PM.

there seems to be a lot of negative comments about rackspace and their pricing. I obviously dont use rackspace and other then 10 years ago, have zero experience with them on any level. Having said this, its really difficult to criticize a provider for their pricing. The most expensive part of offering a real, proactive managed solution is in the managed services. human costs, especially in real, proactive managed situations is quite high - the number of hours spent on an average proactive managed server is quite significant each month. Having qualified people, 24x7, offering a high level of first touch support is also VERY expensive. Running a 24x7 onsite presence within a facility, integrating and maintaining systems to proactively monitor services, infrastructure, logs, etc - is significant, very significant

I just think that people commenting on price points should make sure that they are comparing similar levels of services before making comments that are too extremely negative towards a provider

I for one...

I for one was commenting on price based on knowledge of the market.
    In some cases you can forget what a server even looks like in your rack as you can go months without seeing it, as for software, a well provisioned server can have a cron or two running daily to maintain upgrades....
    $700, should go way further than it is in this case.
    Nexxterra.com Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    MassiveServers.com Dedicated servers - Miami, Florida, USA
    BuyAWebName.com Domain name registration

Quote Originally Posted by nexxterra View Post
    I for one was commenting on price based on knowledge of the market.
    I was speaking more generally, as I didnt want to point out someone specifically and start a heated debate

but, thanks for stepping up...

a well provisioned server can have a cron or two running daily to maintain upgrades....
    and this is kinda what I was talking about. I really dont mean to pick on you, and I apologize.. but, I think there is a serious variance in what people consider "managed hosting".

running a cron to keep things up to date is a) pretty incomplete and b) just a bad idea.

real proactive services include SO much more. I mean you can run ksplice for linux or wsus for windows and keep the OS up to date and patched, but, after that - there is so much involved

re a) a cron updating systems is not going to alert or resolve high loads, or memory hitting swap, or partitions filling up - all of which can impact service availability and performance. They also arent going to be logging events which can be cross referenced and alerting staff to anything suspicious that needs to be investigated. The list simply goes on and on..

re b) other then OS patching, you really dont want to be upgrading anything on that server unless the customer has been engaged and its been scheduled, planned, etc.. you could bring down a customers application via an automated cron, when it could easily be avoided. but again, just an example of differences in levels of management

$700, should go way further than it is in this case.
    this hardware could easily be 3 years old and at the end of a contract. 3 years ago, this may have been a very reasonable price point. hardware aside, pricing of a managed service usually has very little to do with the hardware or specs. you need to really look at complete value of a solution. Some dont want or need the complete value - and they look at this pricing as expensive. I see a value filled, proactively managed dedicated server - especially with todays modern specs - as a pretty reasonable price point for the latest hardware standards.

Of course, todays hardware standards are much much higher - and its why virtualization has become so important. Most of these legacy dedicated server customers are better suited today in virtualized solutions. but, for those still wanting/needing dedicated servers - the price point for real, fully, proactively managed solutions really hasnt changed. though today, you are certainly getting more "spec bang" for your dollar.
    Last edited by cartika-andrew; 08-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.