Thread: Dedicated Ports

Dedicated Ports

Just saw this in another thread and didn't want to hijack the thread.

what's more important is quality traffic (truly dedicated ports only)
    Do dedicated servers sometimes share a port? Is this something I have to inquire about when I purchase a dedicated sever? Thanks.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Absolutely, in fact I would say that it is very common for a dedicated server to share a port. How much to be concerned about it will really depend on what you are doing, and how your host shares ports. If the bandwidth isn't heavily oversold, and they do some work to make sure that no single server can monopolize the bandwidth you should be fine. However if you have a very high bandwidth requirement you might want to get your own dedicated bandwidth.

Thanks for the info. I love learning new things concerning hosting on this site.

Yes, A lot datacenters have shared ports, but they do offer your own line for premium cost, this being premium bandwidth and only your server is on it.

I used 1 Gbps SHARED ports for Web Hosting, been in the business since 2004 and always used 100 Mbps SHARED and they don't seem to cut for me anymore.

On the other hand, I use premium dedicated bandwidth for my media services;

I was looking at an unmetered 10 Mbps (10 Mbps Uplink) standard with the package. Not mission critical sites or anything, just to host a few WP blogs or Joomla.

I suppose that would be fine, I assume you're going to get a decent server?

Got any details on specs?

These days the vast majority of 100mbps ports are uncontended, in fact I'm struggling to think of any providers in Western Europe/N America/Canada who offer anything less.

When it comes to 1gb ports the situation is quite different and only a few big players like leaseweb and softlayer explicitly advertised dedicated ports on low (Less than 100TB) commitments. This seems quite reasonable to me - why would you need a truly dedicated 1GE port for a 5TB commitment, which is like 1.5% utilisation?

Anything like 10GE on a dedicated server (OVH) is highly likely to be contended as no provider in their right mind is going to dedicated a full 10GE for a few hundred meg cdr.

Dual Core G6950 (2 x 2.8 GHZ, 3MB Cache)
    2GB DDR3 RAM
    250 x2 Disk software raid
    10 Mbps unmetered
    cPanel/WHM
    Managed
    Phoenix NAP Data Center

Only $106 / No setup fee.
    I don't need this now but will keep my eye on this as the price is good for my needs.

FDC Servers provides 10 GigE Ports - Only would consider that for CDN (Content Delivery Netwotk) Video Streaming... - Which I've got a price for, really outrages, but "Get what you pay for".

Server is not bad for just a few sites, maybe consider a VPS (maybe a disaster waiting to happen) or Reseller, jump over in those threads possibly and take a look.

Yeah, a VPS with RAID 10 would be my choice but I was thinking I'd get better disk IO with a dedi, even though not as powerful CPU or RAID 10.

Yeah, seems like a decent deal - I'm not sure on the data center, maybe they have reviews. Do some searching before ordering, unless you have past experience.