Suggestion on Hosting Limits

Hello everyone, my first post on here

I run a website that focuses on user submissions. We allow the upload of pictures, along with submissions of various content ranging from short messages to long blocks of text.

The current host I have offers unlimited bandwidth and space, but only 25 processes. We went over the 25 processes, and we were taken offline until they were under 25 again. This was caused by the usage of email.

With the type of content my website is based on, what type of hosting would you suggest that I look for? How much space is enough, and how much bandwidth is enough? Especially for something that requires the use of uploading images.

Thank you!

Do you have an idea of what kind of traffic you're drawing, disk space usage, bandwidth etc? You can find all these stats in your control panel. We will need a rough idea of what you're using now in order to recommend a proper fit for your website.
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

Quote Originally Posted by CoryPippen View Post
    Do you have an idea of what kind of traffic you're drawing, disk space usage, bandwidth etc? You can find all these stats in your control panel. We will need a rough idea of what you're using now in order to recommend a proper fit for your website.
    First 2 weeks since launch, and we are up to roughly 500 unique hits, 15MB of space usage, and 300MB of bandwidth.

We are going to be mentioned on a radio station tomorrow and hopefully that will draw much more traffic.

I know my way around the cPanel pretty well, so any information you need to help evaluate a better host let me know

Thank you so much for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmyn View Post
    First 2 weeks since launch, and we are up to roughly 500 unique hits, 15MB of space usage, and 300MB of bandwidth.

We are going to be mentioned on a radio station tomorrow and hopefully that will draw much more traffic.

I know my way around the cPanel pretty well, so any information you need to help evaluate a better host let me know

Thank you so much for the quick response.
    Unless I am missing something, it doesn't sound to me like your website is anything that warrants your account being suspended for excessive usage. It might just be that you are with a poor web host (which is often times the case with companies who claim to offer unlimited diskspace..ect). If you do not mind me asking, who are you currently hosted with?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Unless I am missing something, it doesn't sound to me like your website is anything that warrants your account being suspended for excessive usage. It might just be that you are with a poor web host (which is often times the case with companies who claim to offer unlimited diskspace..ect). If you do not mind me asking, who are you currently hosted with?
    We didn't get temporarily suspended because of too much space/bandwidth. We were running 40 processes, with a limit of 25. Due to email usage between 3 people and 5 accounts.

We were back online when the processes were below 25.

I am using Host Gator. So far they have been very helpful with any problem I had. Customer support within 1-2 minutes.

That still doesn't sound right, did they give you any specifics regarding exactly what process they were referring too? Email usage between three people should not warrant your account being suspended. Are you using wordpress, joomla or some type of CMS?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    That still doesn't sound right, did they give you any specifics regarding exactly what process they were referring too? Email usage between three people should not warrant your account being suspended. Are you using wordpress, joomla or some type of CMS?
    There are 3 of us, using 5 different accounts, with 3 of them each of us use. They were on auto update on all 3 of our computers, and one 2 of our phones.

We checked our email too many times, too quickly, before the processes could terminate...leading up to 40.

My website is entirely coded by me in HTML/CSS/PHP/and MySQL.

I do not think you should be using a Shared Hosting. However if you do, you would not expect from hosts that sell "everything unlimited" to provide anything but cheap hosting service. My advise is to explore the opportunities to get a VPS or any HA Shared hosting service.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    I do not think you should be using a Shared Hosting. However if you do, you would not expect from hosts that sell "everything unlimited" to provide anything but cheap hosting service. My advise is to explore the opportunities to get a VPS or any HA Shared hosting service.
    This is something we will consider when the website begins to generate some revenue. We can do without the email for the greater good of running the website.

There are 3 of us, using 5 different accounts, with 3 of them each of us use. They were on auto update on all 3 of our computers, and one 2 of our phones.

We checked our email too many times, too quickly, before the processes could terminate...leading up to 40.

My website is entirely coded by me in HTML/CSS/PHP/and MySQL.
    Hmm.. still sounds somewhat odd that they would suspend you for that. I've seen shared web hosting accounts used for company email for businesses with 10-20 employees (and it was all handled without any problems). Doesnt really sound to me like you need to make a jump to a VPS just yet. I recommend looking into a different web host, possibly one that is not claiming to offer unlimited diskspace?

An easy immediate solution to this would be to separate your e-mail and hosting. Have you looked at a free solution, such as Google Apps, to handle your e-mail? That would free up all the processes for your website and your website alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesR View Post
    An easy immediate solution to this would be to separate your e-mail and hosting. Have you looked at a free solution, such as Google Apps, to handle your e-mail?
    That is also a great idea! Not sure why I did not think of that earlier, but if email is the only reason you are having problems with HG (and you are happy with every aspect of their service), then looking into something like Google Apps will probably be the easiest course of action.

Or just try a higher end shared hosting account (aka semi-dedicated) ... . When you pay more, you can use more resources, etc. Quite simple really.

If you are using IMAP, you'll generate dozens of "checks" against the email system every minute as it updates. I have a few Apple iPhone users who routinely get blocked for a few minutes each hour for exceeding the limit on connections. One of them was checking email every two seconds.

JulesR has the best solution, I think. Move your email to Google Apps free (it is free for up to 50 users/email accounts). If I'm reading your email correctly, you are already up to 5 email addresses. Or is it 3 x 5 = 15?

I moved all the emails over the the Google Apps email. This is simply amazing, and I wish I would have known about this before.

We now have 4 people using 6 emails total, not each

Thanks for all the help with this. Other than this email process hiccup, there has been no issues with my host

I moved all the emails over the the Google Apps email. This is simply amazing, and I wish I would have known about this before.

We now have 4 people using 6 emails total, not each

Thanks for all the help with this. Other than this email process hiccup, there has been no issues with my host
    Glad you got this resolved

Enjoy Google Apps, it's simply fantastic.

Glad you got this resolved

Enjoy Google Apps, it's simply fantastic.
    Yeah, it's just having to work with separate accounts that would bug me. And I'm sure Google lose email half the time due strict filters. I prefer to manage all emails using cPanel interface.

Anyway, glad OP is happy with his setup now.

You don't have to work with separate accounts if you login as the main user - you can control everything there.

In the 5+ years of using Gmail and/or Google Apps, I've never lost a single e-mail, ever, nor have I ever had a mail incorrectly flagged as spam. Guess I must be lucky?

Guess I must be lucky?
    Must be.

I have recently joined Just host and their tech support is good.