Manual VPS backup

I recently acquired a VPS from virpus, but it seems like my account is restricted from using their backup service. They have a "quick backup" that puts the backup on the VPS itself, and a "central backup" that backs up to their NAS.

So I'm guessing since I don't have proper access to the virtualization platform, I will need to do the backups from inside the VPS itself. What I want to do is take a backup that ultimately results in me having a VM that I can run on my PC at home, then just change DNS records for the domains hosted on the VPS if virpus servers suddenly go offline.

I'm not quite sure what my best bet for creating this VM is, it doesn't have to be automated although it would be a bonus of course.

I don't have much experience with linux or VPS's, but paying for a second server of any kind is not really an option, although I do have a synology NAS at home that might be of use for remote backup(?)

What I was thinking of doing is an Rsync backup of all the important directories to a backup directory on the vps itself, then transfer this to my NAS, load up a VM on my own PC and use rsync to copy everything over? But what directories would I need to backup? I'm running kloxo control panel and would like to have everything related to site hosting backed up, mysql, web folders, etc.

On a side note: So far I've been with virpus for less than 2 days and already around 4 hours downtime.

Madsn,

We no longer use the central backup tool - we use node based backups, which gzip's all VPS's each week and syncs them up with our backup SAN. These backups are used for recovery of failed nodes. Should clients need to restore from them, we do charge a $5 retrieval fee.

As far as the downtime, we did have some issues at the data center earlier this week, which were beyond our control, but do let me know what node you're on so I can verify.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
    Madsn,

We no longer use the central backup tool - we use node based backups, which gzip's all VPS's each week and syncs them up with our backup SAN. These backups are used for recovery of failed nodes. Should clients need to restore from them, we do charge a $5 retrieval fee.

As far as the downtime, we did have some issues at the data center earlier this week, which were beyond our control, but do let me know what node you're on so I can verify.
    As Ken Said,

Virpus are a great host and have just hit some harsh times recently out of their control. Stick with them, they are a great host and team!
    TheHostGuys.co.uk - We price match any UK Based Hosting Business!
    Company Number - 09177361
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57
    AS Number - AS201033 (We are a fully registered RIPE LIR)

Well I am on ovzgrover. I had a period of downtime from around 13:00ish to 16:00ish server time thursday, and a second shorter dropout of 10 minutes or so around 20:50 server time. During the first downtime I created a support ticket, but it got answered just after the server had come online again. So I was pretty satisfied with response time, although somehow it seems wrong that I have to give the support tech my root password..

Could you clarify for me, the "quick backup" is that only for certain plans? When I try to generate a quick backup i get following message:

Backup Request Error!
    Backups are not enabled on this account. Please contact support.
    Last edited by Madsn; 04-21-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: current -> certain

Quote Originally Posted by Madsn View Post
    Well I am on ovzgrover. I had a period of downtime from around 13:00ish to 16:00ish server time thursday, and a second shorter dropout of 10 minutes or so around 20:50 server time. During the first downtime I created a support ticket, but it got answered just after the server had come online again. So I was pretty satisfied with response time, although somehow it seems wrong that I have to give the support tech my root password..

Could you clarify for me, the "quick backup" is that only for current plans? When I try to generate a quick backup i get following message:
    There was a reboot on grover due to an abusive user on the node that caused the node to become inaccessible. We took care of this user shortly after the node came back online. I do apologize for this.

Quick Backups must be enabled by an administrator. You'd just need to open up a ticket, and we will happily enable it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDavies768 View Post
    As Ken Said,

Virpus are a great host and have just hit some harsh times recently out of their control. Stick with them, they are a great host and team!
    Jack,

Thank you so much for your kind words!

(......)
    Quick Backups must be enabled by an administrator. You'd just need to open up a ticket, and we will happily enable it for you.
    (.....)
    That is excellent!! MUUCH better than the poor-mans-backup workaround I was thinking about. I just assumed it wasn't included in my low-budget account.

I should probably make a ticket about this as well, but another small issue I have with virpus is that every 5-15 minutes or so my ssh gets spammed with this:

Code:
    Message from syslogd@ at Thu Apr 21 16:55:34 2011 ...
    ovz-grover kernel: CPU2: Temperature/speed normal

ovz-grover kernel: CPU5: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled

ovz-grover kernel: CPU6: Temperature/speed normal

ovz-grover kernel: CPU0: Temperature/speed normal

ovz-grover kernel: CPU4: Temperature/speed normal

ovz-grover kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled

ovz-grover kernel: CPU7: Temperature/speed normal

ovz-grover kernel: CPU3: Temperature/speed normal
    Is that normal or should I contact support?

Hello,

Please contact support on both issues.

Hello,

Please contact support on both issues.
    Thank you Ken for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Thank you Ken for all your help, I really appreciate it.
    Told you they wernt all that bad
    TheHostGuys.co.uk - We price match any UK Based Hosting Business!
    Company Number - 09177361
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57
    AS Number - AS201033 (We are a fully registered RIPE LIR)

Seems they got you under control now, Good luck and keep us updated, and yeah I do believe you should contact their support on both of them issues that's not normal.
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Happy ending.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Happy ending.
    Well we will see
    My VPS was acting up a bit again this morning (GMT+1).

But since you joined the thread I will share a little story.
    I was just about to order one of your shared hosting packages a few days ago, but then I saw virpus had an offer for VPS, 36$ annually (recurring discount), and the devil geek on my shoulder talked me into buying a VPS in the US rather than shared hosting in the UK, even though the latter would have been a better fit for my needs. I spent a LOT of time researching shared hosting and hostxnow was on the top of my list.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with virpus (too early to tell), just that since I'm in denmark and all I actually need is to host 5-10 small business/club sites ranging from 100-1500 visitors/month, a shared host in the UK might have been wiser than managing my own VPS without cpanel.

I was just about to order one of your shared hosting packages a few days ago, but then I saw virpus had an offer for VPS, 36$ annually (recurring discount), and the devil geek on my shoulder talked me into buying a VPS in the US rather than shared hosting in the UK, even though the latter would have been a better fit for my needs. I spent a LOT of time researching shared hosting and hostxnow was on the top of my list.
    Glad to know this. Thanks for considering us.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with virpus (too early to tell), just that since I'm in denmark and all I actually need is to host 5-10 small business/club sites ranging from 100-1500 visitors/month, a shared host in the UK might have been wiser than managing my own VPS without cpanel.
    I know what you mean. See how it goes.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting