Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Windows 2008 on XEN HVM for $6.95 , can be legal ?

Hi guys;
    I have found something which has puzzled my mind.
    Please look at following offers :
    https://clients.thrustvps.com/cart.php?gid=21
    they are offering windows 2008 VPS for about $7/mo on XEN HVM !
    how is it possible based on Microsoft SPLA rules ?
    the only solution is to offer such price is to create the VPS's on windows datacenter edition. but XEN works only on linux !
    are they pirating the licenses ? what do u think ?
    Regards

Sir, Xen lets you run Windows on top of Linux, so they can easily run Datacenter edition with it. This will not be illegal, they are a big company

Hope this helps
    Cheeryo
    TheHostGuys.co.uk - We price match any UK Based Hosting Business!
    Company Number - 09177361
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57
    AS Number - AS201033 (We are a fully registered RIPE LIR)

My anti-virus caught malicious scripts from that site. Defiantly a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Question Everything View Post
    Sorry I just have to lol at this comment...

Quote Originally Posted by jscott04 View Post
    Sorry I just have to lol at this comment...
    Im lolling too

One of the biggest VPS providers going - you might wanna look at some new antivirus
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

LOL , i bet he's using a AntiVirus developed by Burstnet xD

If we go developing software... It's going to be anti-troll and anti-bs software.

You wouldn't happen to be using Avast, would you? They tend to produce false positives on well known reputable sites.
    Best Regards,
    Tim
    --
    Code monkey at EZP, see me on Stack Overflow

What do you use AVG Free 0.5?
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET_CSM View Post
    If we go developing software... It's going to be anti-troll and anti-bs software.

funniest thing i have heard all week!
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Avira, and it's set on high sensitivity, which may cause false positives, but it also catches bad stuff other antivirus miss so it's OK. I'm happy airing on the side of caution. It was probably heuristic because they're doing something nasty.

But really "thrust vps"?!? And their website looks it was done by a 12 year old. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET_CSM View Post
    Posts like this make me wish that WHT had a "like" option. I almost literally "lol"'d. Bravo.

But really "thrust vps"?!? And their website looks it was done by a 12 year old. Not exactly confidence inspiring.
    I'm not endorsing them, but they've been around a while, their owner participates here, and I really like their site design. So many VPS companies have the same templates. I won't speak to their service, but their design stands out.

Of course, bigbuttvps.com also stands out, but for different reasons...
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

Quote Originally Posted by JackDavies768 View Post
    Sir, Xen lets you run Windows on top of Linux, so they can easily run Datacenter edition with it. This will not be illegal, they are a big company

Hope this helps
    Cheeryo
    Yes , I know that ! they can run windows datacenter edition as a guest on linux host, but how can it help regarding Microsoft licensing ?
    They are creating all windows nodes individually directly on linux , so they should pay for each license.
    please correct me if I am wrong.

And their website looks it was done by a 12 year old.
    Show me this 12 year old that can make a site like 'thustvps.com' - I'll hire him!

Quote Originally Posted by FiFtHeLeMeNt View Post
    Yes , I know that ! they can run windows datacenter edition as a guest on linux host, but how can it help regarding Microsoft licensing ?
    They are creating all windows nodes individually directly on linux , so they should pay for each license.
    please correct me if I am wrong.
    Unlimited Virtualization Rights

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter licenses include unlimited virtualization rights, meaning customers have the use rights to run an unlimited number of virtualized instances of Windows Server on processors licensed with Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter without purchasing additional licenses. The use rights also allow the choice of running Windows Server 2008 R2 (or previous version) Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter in the virtual instances.

The unlimited virtualization rights significantly simplify the licensing of Windows Server for large-scale virtualization and make it more affordable for enterprises to consolidate on the Windows Server Platform.
    Ahh I love Google - XEN is a form of Virtualization....
    VAT Reg No - 195 5495 57

wow, great discussion .... keep it up man..

Quote Originally Posted by JackDavies768 View Post
    Ahh I love Google - XEN is a form of Virtualization....
    I know what XEN is , but XEN can not be installed on windows datacenter. it is a virtualization technology only for linux but supports windows guests.
    They have installed XEN on a linux server and are creating windows VPS's (guests) thats against Microsoft licensing.
    only if you create the VPS's on a windows datacenter edition then you have the unlimited virtualization right.
    not on XEN , not on Linux.
    any comments ? because I believe what they are doing is both illegal and unfair to hosting community.
    our company is paying thousands of dollars to Microsoft every month for licensing and many companies are doing so.
    I hope someone from thrustvps can clarify this issue.

I know what XEN is , but XEN can not be installed on windows datacenter. it is a virtualization technology only for linux but supports windows guests.
    They have installed XEN on a linux server and are creating windows VPS's (guests) thats against Microsoft licensing.
    only if you create the VPS's on a windows datacenter edition then you have the unlimited virtualization right.
    not on XEN , not on Linux.
    any comments ? because I believe what they are doing is both illegal and unfair to hosting community.
    our company is paying thousands of dollars to Microsoft every month for licensing and many companies are doing so.
    I hope someone from thrustvps can clarify this issue.
    Hello dear, What is your company URL?

Hang on, as far as designs go thats actually not bad in my opinion - precisely what is bad about it?

Quote Originally Posted by cAPTAIN^k View Post
    Hang on, as far as designs go thats actually not bad in my opinion - precisely what is bad about it?
    I don't know why they are talking about all these.. i think its all thread about Advertisement stunt... nothing else..

Let me not to mention my company name and URL , I do not want visitors to think this is about advertisement although it is easy to find out if you search by yourself.
    as far as I can see , no one has any idea of what they are doing !
    there is no technical deployment which can comply with Microsoft SPLA with this scenario !
    I am sure everyone expect a fair play , at least from big players !

as far as I can see , no one has any idea of what they are doing !
    there is no technical deployment which can comply with Microsoft SPLA with this scenario !
    It sounds quite simple - you get a server, with datacenter edition - and sell VM's.

After a quick search - this post addresses the licensing issues: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...0&postcount=30

As i remember this only applies to HyperV - NOT to Xen/KVM.

Not sure though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast