R1Soft Mysql Module Necessary?

We're running R1soft without the Mysql Module as our host is telling us it is not necessary. We've got a couple of databases on a dedicated server and was wondering if not having the module might be an issue if we ever need to do a full metal restore or similar ..... any feedback appreciated!

If you're using MySQL and want the ability to restore databases then it is necessary. It ensures that the MySQL data is in a consistent, restorable state. Otherwise, you could end up with corruption when you attempt to restore.

Hmmmmm..... will touch base with host and ask why they're telling us it is not necessary ....

See if it is worth the extra cost. It's easier and cheaper to do a mysqldump and automate it using a cron.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

We are already doing cron mysqldumps and other backups as well, but our host specifically told us full metal restore was possible without module, which may not be accurate, so we wanted to know ahead of time before we attempt a restore and find out we (may) have gotten unsound advice.

I have personally done many restores (account level, not full) without the module, and it hasn't caused any problems.

From what I have read, if a mysql database is being written to during the R1soft backup, the backup may get corrupted as the database is not locked. So, it is recommended to have the MySQL plugin, but if you just have a couple of databases you can restore the dumps within no time.

Though we use R1Soft, we do not rely on it completely, and use cPanel backups + own mysql dumping scripts, to create backups.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

Your not going to be able to do a innodb restore unless your using innodb_per_file in your mysql config (which will require a dump and reimport of all databases if you try to convert to it).
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

You can run without the mysql addon, much the same way you take the risk when doing with straight rsyncs on the datadir. Its' not recommended but it should be fine in most cases. There is always the possibility of corruption but in most cases mySQL will repair/rollback just fine , the only one that wouldn't is if you were using myisam compressed tables and were unlucky enough for the database to drop off right at a specific time which is extremely unlikely and so unlikely that it's not really worth considering for most cases.

What you are really paying for is simplicity, being able to restore individual tables, being able to restore to different names/databases, mixing innodb+myisam engines as the agent will essentially restore , start another instance, dump and then import to your main instance. This would normally require time (and does if there are bugs with the addon, which do happen although not so much in newer versions) so if you say it takes you 30-60 minutes for a individual table restore once per year of manual work versus clicking a button at what? $50/year ? You make the choice
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

You can get away with mysqldumps done at the same frequency as the backup task (but not simultaniously!!). A drawback is that it's more difficult to restore individual tables/db's... no point and click interface, ect.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

As far as I know its for being able to restore individual databases and tables which leads me to my next question.

Without the module corruption is possible but do you guys talk about the restored database being corrupted or the whole MYSQL server and all databases on it becoming corrupt?

And how would you do a single database restore manually without the module, if you lets say try it regardless of corruption.

I think this points are not clear on this thread.

As for bare metal restore its not needed.

The module is unnecessary. If you're using InnoDB, then your backups via mysqldump should be read-consistent. The backup file produced by mysqldump is basically human-readable so you can always manually fix any corruption, though I've never seen it actually occur.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeriklane View Post
    The module is unnecessary. If you're using InnoDB, then your backups via mysqldump should be read-consistent. The backup file produced by mysqldump is basically human-readable so you can always manually fix any corruption, though I've never seen it actually occur.
    But what if you did not used mysqldump.

Where are the mysql database of a specific date for recovery? The raw files?

Since all the server and OS is protected it makes sense the data is somewhere even when you did not used mysqldump to export them.

I would recommend enabling mysql bin logs, it's the easiest and fastest way to backup the database and allows you to restore right down to the second.
    R1Soft makes backups of the bin logs just fine, so the module isn't needed.
    Snel.com Self-managed hosting provider
    Cloud VPS ★ Dedicated Servers ★ Colocation★
    Send an email to sales@snel.com. Call us at +31 88 3 088 099.

Whats wrong with setting up MySQL replication on 2 or more boxes?

The newest versions of MySQL support this functionality now, and pretty awesome for backups, data flow simulation and play-back.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

I don't use the R1soft MySQL module - I found mysqldump simpler, faster and more reliable for busier MySQL systems. The backup is placed in the home directory, which is then backed up by the backup run.