Looking for a VPS with best backup policy

Hello,

We currently have a VPS with KnownHost and we have been extremely happy with it for about 15 months now.

KH provides full VPS offsite nightly backups and we have tbe regular WHM/cPanel backup tools too. This was enough when we hosted regular website with non critical data as we could do a global VPS restore and lose some data for the last 24/48 hours.

Lately, our needs have changed dramatically as we now provide SaaS to some customers that add massive data daily, so time is more important now. In addition, if we have an issue with one account (accidentally delete a file, data corruption...) we would have to restore the entire VPS and lose data of all our customers.

As you can imagine this is something we cannot accept.
    What we need now is:
    - per account backups and restores
    - restores with only a few minutes of lost data

We understand CDP is the solution to our problem. Please let us know if that's the case and also if you know of any providers that have VPS with realtime CDP backups.

Any advice is welcome.

Best regards.

What's your budget?

I would think, although I could be mistaken, that some of the VPS providers may charge your extra for this. It is probably a non-issue for you from the sounds of your O.P. and mission critical.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

VPS Requirements are very low as our software is very light and well optimized.
    5 GB of space are enough at first but we expect 15% growth every month + 1 GB RAM + WHM/cPanel ...
    Budget must be kept under $100 a month and something at about $50 would be perfect.
    A European provider would be perfect, but that's not a must as quality of service and hardware is more important to us than location.

Get an onsite backup server, and run a cron job backing up all of your sensitive data to your onsite backup server and another cloud hosting service. If your data is that important, the only solution is to do it yourself and not trust it to any provider.
    Last edited by Question Everything; 04-21-2011 at 01:39 PM.

It is important to us to automate tasks.
    Server load and data encryption are also important factors.
    We are thinking of hourly backups!

How is hourly backups going to affect the node and everyone on it?

Not much impact as data changes are minimal, but critical.

Now please if you could recommend providers and solutions that would be appreciated.

I don't know if any providers that will backup hourly as part of the service. You may to set up a VPS backup with another company like http://www.bqbackup.com/ or someone.

I know Rochen VPS includes their Vault that backs up twice a day. You can restore files individually from the vault. But, it is really expensive.

The best backup policy is your own! I use Webbycart for that.....running an overnight and weekly backup. They're excellent.

You have to look at how many copies are being stored too. It does no good to synchronize files every minute and have a bad copy of something. That's why I dig the Rochen Vault. It stores 60 copies over 30 days.

You should be able to get a good solid EU VPS with r1soft backups for less than $100pm.

John
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Thanks for your imput.

Our needs are simple but yet hard to meet:
    - we only need to have 2 or 3 valid backups (actually one is enough but you never know).
    - those backups HAVE to be extremely recent all the time (from the last 2 hours) so that our customers don't need to redo a lot of work.
    - we shouldn't have to restore the whole server if we have an issue with one customer.
    So very few, reliable, very recent and per account restores!
    The rest is currently covered as we maintain DVD copies on a regular bais and KH has 3 full server nightly backups on a week.
    We are open to any proposal.

This isn't a "where can I buy it" but a "how to" question.

Exactly! We are thinking about software driven realtime data duplication.
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by numerix View Post
    Thanks for your imput.

Our needs are simple but yet hard to meet:
    - we only need to have 2 or 3 valid backups (actually one is enough but you never know).
    - those backups HAVE to be extremely recent all the time (from the last 2 hours) so that our customers don't need to redo a lot of work.
    - we shouldn't have to restore the whole server if we have an issue with one customer.
    So very few, reliable, very recent and per account restores!
    The rest is currently covered as we maintain DVD copies on a regular bais and KH has 3 full server nightly backups on a week.
    We are open to any proposal.
    "Very few, very recent" means a file corrupted at 10 PM and not discovered until 2 AM is corrupted in your backup. It won't do any good at all. I think you have to think in terms of protecting against both loss of data (a drive going out completely) and corruption of data (which often happens before a drive dies).

Mike at MDDHosting.com offers R1Soft CDP backups on his VPS plans (I have one there and I'm very satisfied with it). However, I think he has 1 per day (with 28 restore points). I do know that you can restore a single account on the VPS using the backup. In fact, you have file level granularity on the restore (I had Mike restore a MySql database for one of my 30 accounts on the VPS).

It might be worth talking to him about the issues he has had with R1Soft. I don't know if they are limited to the shared servers or if they affect the VPS servers as well, but having hourly backup might be an issue. From what I understand, even though they claim it is not resource intensive, it is probably not the best solution for hourly backups.

Perhaps you can look at a fail-over redundant type of system where all the data is duplicated in real time on another server. "Load balancing" is one of the terms I've heard for it, or mirrored servers. That would "solve" the issue of having recent data if the server goes belly up.

Combine that with backups every six to 12 hours, you could probably solve both problems ... restoring a corrupted file with the last known good copy, and ensuring that your data is recent if a whole node or drive goes down.

6sync offers backups that you can dial the frequency up. Standard is every 24 hours, but for example, backing up every 2 hours is +$15/mon.

Unfortunately, it looks like this info is only in their control panel, once you're already a customer (or at least I couldn't find it) - you may wish to contact them to inquire.

Keep in mind that if your stuff is database-dependent, you're probably going to need to do some kind of database dump prior to the backup - i.e., backing up raw database files can result in an unusable backup.
    My advice and reviews of VPS providers based on my personal experience: VPSadvice.com

"Very few, very recent" means a file corrupted at 10 PM and not discovered until 2 AM is corrupted in your backup. It won't do any good at all. I think you have to think in terms of protecting against both loss of data (a drive going out completely) and corruption of data (which often happens before a drive dies).
    Very sound advice, can't agree more!
    I will take a look at MDDHosting.com plans
    Perhaps you can look at a fail-over redundant type of system where all the data is duplicated in real time on another server.
    I will ask the devs to implement that in the code so everything is written simultanously on two different servers.
    Your proposal is also good since it combines short and long term action to protect again various risks.

Thank you very much for you help man!

Yes R1soft is a very good choice, and yes you can easily set your backup interval to be very fast, like every 2 hours If required you can also use the CDP MySQL addon to provide equivalent online backups of MySQL at table-level granuality.
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

Raindog,

more information about the way our backup works can be found here: http://community.6sync.com/owning-the-room/

I do agree tho that this explanation could be featured more prominently, and we'll certainly do something about it in the future.

Thanks for the criticism - that's how we improve.
    6sync - VPS servers made of real flour!
    VPSbuddy - Making cookies fly!
    Baking cookies since invention of flour.

Quote Originally Posted by numerix View Post
    Very sound advice, can't agree more!
    I will take a look at MDDHosting.com plans

I will ask the devs to implement that in the code so everything is written simultanously on two different servers.
    Your proposal is also good since it combines short and long term action to protect again various risks.

Thank you very much for you help man!
    The fun thing about replication is that at least in this case you don't have to make any code changes. Something like DRBD should fill this role just fine, and unless your data changes at very high frequency both copies will be almost identical at all times.

Do note that I'd suggest a big pipe (probably over internal network) where syncing takes place.

Hope this helps at least a bit.
    6sync - VPS servers made of real flour!
    VPSbuddy - Making cookies fly!
    Baking cookies since invention of flour.

What is your budget you would like to pay for everything? I do know must providers charge for off-site back up policy, as I know we do..
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by pygi View Post
    Something like DRBD should fill this role just fine, and unless your data changes at very high frequency both copies will be almost identical at all times.
    DRBD can do synchronous replication, so there doesn't need to be an "almost" involved. In that mode, the write on the local server won't return as successful until it has also made it to the other server.

See below:
    http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-re...protocols.html

We use it for our internal Xen servers, and it works great. Combined with Xen's live migration feature, we can upgrade the hardware in the physical servers without ever having to shut down the VMs. Recovering from a hardware failure is as simple as rebooting the VM on the other server, which can be automated with a heartbeat script. It's very convenient.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I would talk to 6Sync they are awesome! Now that they offer backups that you can control the frequency even better.