Windows VPS - 1&1?

I need Windows VPS.

I like the reviews about Hostgator but they dont offer Windows VPS.

I've ruled godaddy out. I like what 1&1 are offering. Anyone have any recent experience with 1&1?. All the reviews I can find are years old.

Input appreciated

Hi Merc,

Nobody and I mean nobody knows this yet, but we're about to launch our windows offering. Our website is being updated as I speak to finally get this launched.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 04-21-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc_ View Post
    I need Windows VPS.

I like the reviews about Hostgator but they dont offer Windows VPS.

I've ruled godaddy out. I like what 1&1 are offering. Anyone have any recent experience with 1&1?. All the reviews I can find are years old.

Input appreciated
    Hello dear,
    What is your requirement for windows VPS?

Hi Merc,

We have used 1&1's Windows VPS Hosting, and we can highly recommend it. Some of the features include:

Parallels Virtuozzo Containers & Plesk 9 (30 domains) Included
    Easy and Fast Setup
    24/7 Phone & E-mail Support
    90-Day Money Back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hi Merc,

Nobody and I mean nobody knows this yet, but we're about to launch our windows offering. Our website is being updated as I speak to finally get this launched.

<<snipped>>
    Wow, HostGator is getting bigger and bigger. Domain registrar and now Windows hosting. Have you guys surpassed 1and1 or Godaddy in hosted websites, yet?

Quote Originally Posted by virtualprivateserver View Post
    Hi Merc,

We have used 1&1's Windows VPS Hosting, and we can highly recommend it. Some of the features include:

Parallels Virtuozzo Containers & Plesk 9 (30 domains) Included
    Easy and Fast Setup
    24/7 Phone & E-mail Support
    90-Day Money Back Guarantee
    Thanks for the recommendation.

2 questions you might be able to answer if you know:

1) This thread
    showthread.php?t=1012109&highlight=1and1
    suggests they disable some of the normal features on Windows and replace them with control panel access ie IIS etc.
    Have you found this?. I was expecting/wanted just normal RDC access I was surprised to see control panels offered with a windows vps.

2) How do you configure your DNS and email etc?. I assume they must give you you access to a control panel on 1&1 servers to do this?. ie they dont expect you to run a mailserver/dns server etc on your virtual windows server.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Hi Merc,

<<snipped>>
    I will keep a watch on the website thanks. I am moving from hosting.com when my current contract ends so I have flexibility on time scale.

2) How do you configure your DNS and email etc?. I assume they must give you you access to a control panel on 1&1 servers to do this?. ie they dont expect you to run a mailserver/dns server etc on your virtual windows server.
    I can't speak for 1and1, but almost all VPS hosts expect you to run your own email and nameservers.
    I recommend Google Apps and NameCheap DNS if you wish to host them remotely.

Hi Merc- If you're looking for a good Windows VPS experience, I highly recommend using a host that offers Windows Server 2008 R2 and runs Hyper-V... this is the latest tech from Microsoft--blazing fast!

Good luck with your search. Feel free to share your exact requirements (specs/budget) with us for more detailed recommendations, and make sure to check out the Offers section.
    VPSPort | Premium Windows VPS Hosting
    Speed & Reliability | Hyper-V | 100% Uptime SLA
    Enterprise Experience for Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by VPSPort View Post
    Hi Merc- If you're looking for a good Windows VPS experience, I highly recommend using a host that offers Windows Server 2008 R2 and runs Hyper-V... this is the latest tech from Microsoft--blazing fast!

Good luck with your search. Feel free to share your exact requirements (specs/budget) with us for more detailed recommendations, and make sure to check out the Offers section.
    Yup its true....

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    I can't speak for 1and1, but almost all VPS hosts expect you to run your own email and nameservers.
    I recommend Google Apps and NameCheap DNS if you wish to host them remotely.
    hosting.com, godaddy, 1&1 - all allow you to use their dns/mailservers. It makes everything so much easier.

hosting.com, godaddy, 1&1 - all allow you to use their dns/mailservers. It makes everything so much easier.
    You're looking at shared hosts who got into VPSes rather late into the game, and aren't focusing their attention onto VPSes, but rather seeing it as a way to retain customers who would have otherwise been lost to other companies.
    In other words, those are hosts you probably won't see around nor recommended often on the VPS boards.

Trust me, registrar DNS and Google Apps email also has TONS of benefits:
    - When you change hosts, it's less troublesome. No propagation of name server changes nor lost emails. No need to migrate email either.
    - Google/Registrars are probably better at keeping their services up than your shared host.
    - You cede less control to your host, which is always a good thing.
    - The recommended solutions are truly FREE. Those shared hosts may offer it to you for 'free', but the cost will be bundled into your package price.

I am not familiar with google apps/gmail. Are you saying you can set the domain mx record to google gmail?.

So have:

godaddy - dns
    google - email
    1&1 - web/vps

yep, google apps. just change your mx and add a mailbox. mail all taken care of