Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Some one plagiarized my site.

I dont normally post every person here that copy's my site here, but well this person just had to be posted here for his complete stupidity.

http://cl.ly/0A1Z0s2Y0Z2V1e323l3e

I spend a large amount of time making my websites and I dont care if they have added credits to the site. I still spent a large amount of time designing the site but I must say nice try.

DMCA has been sent.

The Users username here is WootWoot: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=198015
      0 Not allowed!

I have since been informed that he has moved it now.

http://hosting.heymman.com/matthew/
      0 Not allowed!

Matt's harshness is completly ridiculous.

With good faith, I contacted him few minutes ago to point out a personal website I've made that has its design inspired from one of his works. I explained him how I even included his name at page's footer to thank him for his great design skills.

What he has probably not understood is that I haven't used, copied or inspired myself from any of his HTML, CSS, images, text or whatever.

Feel free to compare both :

http://wemakedesigns.com/

I have no clue where I'm crossing the line here and would love to hear opinions from WHTers.
    Just bear in mind that this is a personal website and that no HTML or CSS have been copied, mine being clearly superior

There's strictly no reason to post this publicly or to contact my datacenter. I'd be more than happy to modify anything he'd want to : which is why I contacted him. I completly respect the fact that you're the one who designed this and would comply with your reasonable requests.
    Last edited by WootWoot; 04-20-2011 at 02:50 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WootWoot View Post

With good faith, I contacted him few minutes ago to point out a personal website I've made that has its design inspired from one of his works. I explained him how I even included his name at page's footer to thank him for his great design skills.

What he has probably not understood is that I haven't used, copied or inspired myself from any of his HTML, CSS, images, text or whatever.

I have no clue where I'm crossing the line here are would love to hear opinions from WHTers.
    Just bear in mind this is a personal website and that no HTML or CSS have been copied, mine being clearly superior

There's strictly no reason to post this publicly or to contact my datacenter.
    The fact of the matter is, my colour scheme, you have just changed the height then on the blue bar. It was exactly the same, same heights, same dimensions, same background colour. Frankly a Host that wont even bother to create there own website or pay someone to make there website for them shouldn't be a hosting company. You yourself have Fake WHOIS details on some of your domains and privacy guard on your hosting domain.

This clearly shows you dont have a care in the world about the law and anything based around it, so your company can clearly not be trusted with a barge pole. (Sorry im from lancashire if you didn't understand some of that).

Nice try editing the design. I keep refreshing and it keeps changing strange that for someone who has committed "no offence".
    Last edited by Matthew_B; 04-20-2011 at 02:52 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Some people like their work to be unique, and I see quite a lot of similarities between both sites.

I do think your PM to Matt was quite cheeky to be honest though.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-Daniel View Post
    Some people like their work to be unique, and I see quite a lot of similarities between both sites.

I do think your PM to Matt was quite cheeky to be honest though.
    I had no clue he would react this way. As I said, I thought he would have taken this as a compliment. If he would have asked for it, I would in fact have been willing to pay his standard design fees for the right of using it.

I believe sizes are slightly different, but I agree some proportions and colors are the exact same. If this is unbearable to you, I'd be more than happy to change color schemes and proportions.

Now, for WHT sanity, let's continue this discussion privately.
      0 Not allowed!

I have no clue where I'm crossing the line here and would love to hear opinions from WHTers.
    Just bear in mind that this is a personal website and that no HTML or CSS have been copied, mine being clearly superior

There's strictly no reason to post this publicly or to contact my datacenter. I'd be more than happy to modify anything he'd want to : which is why I contacted him. I completly respect the fact that you're the one who designed this and would comply with your reasonable requests.
    I think you need to have a good read of this something you admitted to doing.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5996421_pl...sm-crime_.html
      0 Not allowed!

I had no clue he would react this way. As I said, I thought he would have taken this as a compliment. If he would have asked for it, I would in fact have been willing to pay his standard design fees for the right of using it.

I believe sizes are different, but I agree some proportions and colors are the exact same. If this is unbearable to you, I'd be more than happy to change color schemes and proportions.

Now, for WHT sanity, let's continue this discussion privately.
    I want this design removed. This design is a showcase of my work. This design was designed to be unique, to show off my designs to customers. I do not want to have to re do it just because someone has stolen it.

My standard design fee's would not cover it, this design means far more to me than money.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-Matt View Post
    Frankly a Host that wont even bother to create there own website or pay someone to make there website for them shouldn't be a hosting company.
    There's no reason to involve all this in this discussion. I, in fact, spent several days coding this website (something very few host may pretend), creating the images and throwing in the creativity to add that vertical bar and some other elements.

One of the other domain sharing my IP addresses isn't mine. Yes I do host it, but it isn't mine. The other one is nearly a blank page. I will be removing domain protection of my domain on August 2011, with my real contact details - but that really doesn't concern you.
      0 Not allowed!

There's no reason to involve all this in this discussion. I, in fact, spent several days coding this website (something very few host may pretend), creating the images and throwing in the creativity to add that vertical bar and some other elements.

One of the other domain sharing my IP addresses isn't mine. Yes I do host it, but it isn't mine. The other one is nearly a blank page. I will be removing domain protection of my domain on August 2011, with my real contact details - but that really doesn't concern you.
    Sorry but above you claim it is a personal site and now its a Hosting website please make up your mind.

I love your fake WHOIS details on your domain, I know it doens't concern me but it will concern the mods and ICANN.

123 Bobby
    Bobby, State 12345
    AF
    The Portfolio is a showcase of my work and it is important for it to be unique because it is my work. You have clearly shown to the world how immature you are and frankly I have nothing more to say.
    Last edited by Matthew_B; 04-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I love your fake WHOIS details on your domain, I know it doens't concern me but it will concern the mods and ICANN.
    I reiterate what I have said.

[...] I have nothing more to say.
    That one was indeed too much. There's nothing else to add here. I have removed the page and working on my own design since you don't want people to compliment your work as I did - which is understandable and the reason why I have privately, kindly contacted you.

This being said, there was no copyright notice at your website's footer prior this discussion has taken place. Obviously, since I respect your work, this isn't affecting my decision of changing my page's layout.

As I said, your harshness and insults are pointless.
      0 Not allowed!

What is this a Lovers' Quarrels thread? Tiger-Matt versus Wootwoot thread?
    Hey guys, chill and take it easy. Ok for my opinion as a web designer.

The fact that someone notify me about copying my site...that's fine.
    It's bad if there's no gesture or attempt to notify me or acknowledge me on the credits.

It's like using a Wordpress theme a lot of designers are allowing their themes to be use by the entire Internet community even sometime a lot of them do not return the credit. But that's just me
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.
      0 Not allowed!

Let's clarify one last thing :

I recognized that I shall have contacted you prior creating the website - and I apologize for this if this has been hurting you. I did however contacted you before having it go into active production, which is why I actually consider it a "personal" website.

I have been using existing, copyrighted designs for few other projects (I did contacted its owners prior coding them) and they were all flattered by this : which is why I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction.
    Last edited by WootWoot; 04-20-2011 at 04:11 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    Hey guys, chill and take it easy. Ok for my opinion as a web designer.

The fact that someone notify me about copying my site...that's fine.
    It's bad if there's no gesture or attempt to notify me or acknowledge me on the credits.
    Amen

You should have been the one designing this - that's the kind of reaction I was expecting from Matt.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow. I agree with Matt. This is just unacceptable.

WHAT DID YOU CHANGE?? Add a vertical bar and change some height??

I think I'll just go and get a couple host's websites, add a vertical bar, change some heights, and sell them for $100 each.
    GarrisonHost - Premium High Performance Hosting
    Shared Hosting • SSL Certificates • Domains
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by IntelHost View Post
    Wow. I agree with Matt. This is just unacceptable.

I think I'll just go and get a couple host's websites, add a vertical bar, change some heights, and sell them for $100 each.
    Not letting someone to use your design doesn't mean unacceptable for everyone.

If you are using CentOS or Apache and you tweak the default settings.
    Do you think the developer should told you that that is unacceptable?

Also, was it mentioned that Wootwoot sold it?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.
      0 Not allowed!

Not letting someone to use your design doesn't mean unacceptable for everyone.
    I'm not sure what point your trying to make here?

CentOS and Apache are open source software that was meant to be used and tweaked. You are given to right to do that. This is totally different, it is someone's unique work. If we use your analogy, this is taking Litespeed pirated and changing a couple lines of code.

Wootwoot seems to have the attitude that this is acceptable and now his design.
      0 Not allowed!

There's no point to add anything else on top of that. This thread shall be closed.

This website has not even been in production. I contacted Matt to make sure he was fine with the fact that I'd use his design while giving him all the credits, since several designers are usually pleased to allow this.
    I've never pretended being the owner or creator of this design and I'd obviously never sell it. There was no point to create this topic and make all this drama so, please, don't add anything else.

I did everything from scratch - except a part of the design. Understand that this is a very simplistic design : an horizontal bar, a fixed width, blue colors. In the optic that I wish to keep a blue thematic and the crossed line (checked) pattern - and this is my right - there's nearly nothing I may change due to the simplicity of Matt's design. If Matt's website would be a plain, blank page, would it be wrong to create a website based on such a "design"?

Thanks, Yujin.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not sure what point your trying to make here?

CentOS and Apache are open source software that was meant to be used and tweaked. You are given to right to do that. This is totally different, it is someone's unique work. If we use your analogy, this is taking Litespeed pirated and changing a couple lines of code.

Wootwoot seems to have the attitude that this is acceptable and now his design.
    In simple example...there are people who don't mind small things especially if there was an advise to the owner. Now this thread can actually be settled on a Private Message but the OP decided to put this story online for public consumption. Wootwoot notified Matt via PM and Matt can actually reply on that PM telling Wootwoot that he do not agree on what he did and request to change the design. That is what we call civil and amicable settlement.
      0 Not allowed!

Plain and simple he could sue you for ripping his template if he did give you permission it's fine if not he can actually sue you for a lot of money so I'd listen and take it down.
    Jason
      0 Not allowed!

There's no point to add anything else on top of that. This thread shall be closed.

This website has not even been in production. I contacted Matt to make sure he was fine with the fact that I'd use his design while giving him all the credits, since several designers are usually pleased to allow this.
    I've never pretended being the owner or creator of this design and I'd obviously never sell it. There was no point to create this topic and make all this drama so, please, don't add anything else.

I did everything from scratch - except a part of the design. Understand that this is a very simplistic design : an horizontal bar, a fixed width, blue colors. In the optic that I wish to keep a blue thematic and the crossed line (checked) pattern - and this is my right - there's nearly nothing I may change due to the simplicity of Matt's design. If Matt's website would be a plain, blank page, would it be wrong to create a website based on such a "design"?

Thanks, Yujin.
    You admitted to copying the design, or as you like to call it, "inspiration". Exact same style with exact colors. That's copying. Even a color shift without other differences is still copying. Show Photoshop/other format work if you claim you did this yourself without copying.
      0 Not allowed!

You admitted to copying the design, or as you like to call it, "inspiration".
    I did plagiarized Matt's work. It's his design, I copied a major part of it. That's plain and simple.

Now, please, tell me, is it illegal to code someone's existing design and ask him whether or not he agrees to see it online - on a production website?

If it is, then there's something wrong in your democracy. If it isn't, then why are we still talking about this?

Please, read and understand the whole story. This web page was posted online to ask for Matt's acknowledgement. He doesn't want? Too bad. I'll have to make another one. How could you ask for more? Civil and amicable settlement, as Yujin said.

Show Photoshop/other format work if you claim you did this yourself without copying.
    I copied the way the elements are placed, their sizes and colors. Nothing else.

I've put together a dummy site to illustrate my point. What do you think of this?

http://hosting.heymman.com/dev/

I repeat, this is another dummy site. May I please code some HTML in peace?
      0 Not allowed!

I had no clue he would react this way. As I said, I thought he would have taken this as a compliment.
    I have removed the page and working on my own design since you don't want people to compliment your work as I did...
    I have been using existing, copyrighted designs for few other projects (I did contacted its owners prior coding them) and they were all flattered by this : which is why I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction.
    I contacted Matt to make sure he was fine with the fact that I'd use his design while giving him all the credits, since several designers are usually pleased to allow this.
    I hope you've learned a lesson here and will change the way you do things. You can't assume that someone will be okay with you stealing their work, even if you give credit on your site. That's simply not how it works and no true designers I know of would think of this as a compliment.

Also, not to mention the fact that you took their design first, then sent along a "courtesy" email afterwards. With anything copyrighted that you want to use, you need permission first. That means, getting approval before you take/use it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WickedFactor View Post
    I hope you've learned a lesson here and will change the way you do things.
    No, please, you've not understood.

I coded this page prior asking for Matt's acknowledgement to induce small changes so he may be more favorable to see it online - and to create the basis of this page's replacement if he declines. I've put it online on a non-productive URL. There can't be more than 4 or 5 people who has seen this page, including bots and me.

If I'd have to do all this again, I'd do the exact same thing but have a screenshot of the website (with the URL removed) sent to Matt, instead. The denouement would be the same in both scenarios, minus the drama.

I, in fact, fully finished this page this morning. I would never have posted my hosting offer, along with this URL, without Matt's acknowledgement.
    Last edited by WootWoot; 04-20-2011 at 08:08 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Are you serious? I understand the situation perfectly well.

You need to understand that a non-production or non-indexed URL is irrelevant. Even if you send a screenshot, it shows you've already stolen the work. It's really simple: you need to get permission BEFORE you even do anything.

Not only that, but you've just admitted that you were going to go live with this site as a hosting business... not exactly a personal website is it? What if Matt had agreed for you to use it, only because you said it was a personal site?

I, in fact, fully finished this page this morning. I would never have posted my hosting offer, along with this URL, without Matt's acknowledgement.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast