Originally Posted by Jeff Bee
You're a very patient man. You shouldn't be though, your full time job is becoming what their's should be..
I expect to do more on my part considering it's an unmanaged service (personally don't care for managed solutions) and a budget service. You get what you pay for. Diagnosing the issue isn't a biggie for me- it's what I enjoy doing and learning more about. But I shouldn't be the first one to draw these conclusions. The host has more access to their machines than I do and to not realize my service was still there and in one piece (when my main IP began pointing to another customer's service) feels like negligence.
One problem I've had with almost every ticket these last two weeks has been with the support staff half-assing their work. I just can't get my head around why you wouldn't double check to make sure the time you've just spent fixing the problem will actually fix it permanently. Maybe it's because my job is more hardware-centric than anything, and if I don't double check my work our business could effectively shut down for the time it would take to double back and find where I screwed up. But this half-assing just isn't something I can understand. These support technicians are, I would assume, paid to do the job that they do. From my experience with them these past two weeks I feel like they're ripping their employer off. Because they're getting paid to effectively apply two minute patches instead of fixing the issue.
That and they never seem to read support tickets all the way through. I opened a ticket this afternoon asking why my previous ticket had been deleted (still very irritated about that). That was met with a response saying "sorry for the troubles" and then asking for an update on the exact issue. I outlined the two issues I've been having with them; one being the IP issue and the other being my services reverting back to what appears to be some default template that grants them 256MB of RAM. I asked for four new IP addresses; just get rid of the old ones entirely and give me a full set of new addresses for each service (two each). I don't feel this is an absurd request. In the end they did replace one address... the secondary address on one of my services. That's not going to solve the problem I've been having. I imagine the real problem lies with the provisioning script pulling my address for new customers. Therein I would imagine it's an issue with my addresses not showing as being allocated. This is all speculation mind you, as I have little knowledge of the host side of VPS set ups, but it seems logical.
Oh and one of my services is still sitting on the 256MB of RAM package. Not what I'm paying for, mind you. But as a result of them not reading my tickets all the way through I have to wait even longer.
We'll see how this plays out by the end of the month. I'd like to stick with HazeNET, but only if they can get these two problems sorted out so I can go on my merry way and not have to deal with their tech support again for a very long time.
I went back through my tickets prior to the take over to see how frequently I make them. And when you discard the tickets that were created due to the host node being offline, I opened no tickets in 2011. And my 2010 tickets were minor- rDNS entry requests and switching packages. I'm not a difficult person and I can take care of myself. But obviously I need a working platform in order to be like that. Here's to hoping for that working platform again.