Currently on VPS should i move to Cloud?

Hi, i manage an online store that has grown on the past years, we moved from shared hosting to VPS because the site kept crashing due to memory limits and also because of a poorly designed database (we also moved to a better shopping cart system).

Everything went pretty smooth for several months, but as the popularity of the store kept growing, the site began to crash because of memory limits (RAM) yet again, so we figured "alright, lets move the the next VPS plan that has almost twice the RAM" and that solved the problem for a few months but now is at it again, everytime we announce a new product or offer and there's a rush of clients the site crashes due to not enough memory (according to error log and resources stats).

Now, we are considering upgrading the VPS plan again to add another 500 MB or RAM (bandwidth and everything gets upgraded too, but that's never been a concern), but that would bring the monthly cost almost at the same price as a Dedicated Server, so my question here is if i should upgrade the VPS or just move to Dedicated, or does Cloud offers a more reliable option?

We are currently on a VPS plan with 2 GHz, 1.3 GB RAM, and 1k GB bandwith for less than $80 bucks/mo

How much bandwidth and disk space do you actually use?

Not that much

Quote Originally Posted by P10n33R View Post
    How much bandwidth and disk space do you actually use?
    Of our allowed quota (1000 GB BW and 60 GB disk) we currently average 600 GB bandwidth and less than 10 GB of disk space.

many different cloud products out there depending on the provider you choose. I would consider it for sure if you go with a cloud option that includes redundancy removing single points of failure over traditional VPS or dedicated servers.
    ~ Webair Managed Cloud Servers ~ Dedicated Servers ~ Advanced CDN Network ~ Enterprise / Managed Hosting ~ ICANN Accredited Registrar ~ Multiple Data Center Locations - New York, Amsterdam, LA, & Montreal ~
    ~ SKYPE/AIM: WebairGH - TWITTER - @WEBAIRINC - EMAIL: sales@webair.com

Most cloud servers are virtual private servers with extra features. Sounds like your biggest problem is just upgrading which maybe a cloud server would be easier as with most you would be able to upgrade instantly.

just expanding on devonblzx point a little bit - true cloud servers would allow you to instantly scale resources according to your needs. That means you can react to peaks and troughs in traffic/bandwidth requirements.

As what I have read, there are a lot of factors involved in making your decision between Cloud Hosting and Dedicated Servers—reliability, scalability, support, etc.— but if you really have that budget, choose Cloud Hosting.

It's hard to advice about this, most cloud providers bill based on several factors, not just ram, disk and bandwidth. Stuff like cpu use also factor in, so it can be hard to predict what you will end up paying. This can also be a problem with a badly designed application that really can drive cost up if it hogs resources.

So if I was considering this I would first go over the application design and see if it can't be optimized.

For you condition maybe nope. Because you is lack of disk space and mostly you need higher disk space. Unless you predict that in future you may use less disk space,then you can consider about cloud hosting rather than Dedicated Server. Because you able to help you save cost which you only need to paid when you would like to upgrade for certain period only. But if permanent use then go back for dedicated server.

from the sound of it, it's time to move to a dedicated server. a decent quad core with 4gb ram and raid 1 disks is going to run circles around the vps you have, for only a bit more money.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Thank you all for your input, i really appreciate it. We are researching the pros and cons of Cloud VS Dedicated, i like the scalability but since we actually use all of the resources and this keeps growing i fear we may end up paying way more if we go with Cloud.

I suggest to first hire (or do it yourself if you have the know how) someone to optimize your site. A highly optimized site will lead to less server load and faster pageloads. If you have already done this or this isn't an option, than I would suggest to move to a cloud VPS type situation like stormondemand.com.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

I would suggest you to go with the Cloud. It is more reliable and your are protected against hardware failure depends of your provider. if the server where your Virtual Machine is running crash, your Virtual Machine can be moved to another server and you will have less downtime compare to a dedicated. On a dedicated if the hard drive is crashing all your data will be lost. Also it is easy to upgrade and require a few minutes of downtime as compare to a dedicated server where the upgrade can be long an painful.
    For example, if you want to upgrade your Disk space on a dedicated server you will have to move to a new dedicated server and reinstall everything .
    HPCHost
    Managed VMware Solutions | Public Cloud | Private Cloud | Dedicated Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by nickmars View Post
    I would suggest you to go with the Cloud. It is more reliable and your are protected against hardware failure depends of your provider.
    Not always true. It depends on which "Cloud" provider you go with. I was with sitecloud.com for a while and they were down at least an hour a day, on average. Good thing they folded .

On a dedicated if the hard drive is crashing all your data will be lost.
    Ever heard of something called RAID?

Currently on VPS should i move to Cloud?
    A "cloud" is basically a VPS, the only difference most of the time is they use a SAN so they "can" be more available.

You would probably notice a better performance increase moving to a dedicated server, where the disk and cpu are dedicated to only you

Unless of course the cloud provider is using a very fast SAN.
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

Go with a dedicated server for the short while and then hire someone to either tweak your setup or restructure a new site using a cluster of machines with a load balancer.

The reason being is that despite marketing claims, a cloud is not a magical infinitely scalable system that you can just take an existing site that's been living on a single machine and scale it out. You may be able to get dynamic scaling, but it comes at a cost (in terms of price and downtime while it resizes). At some point, you'll reach the limit of the underlying physical hardware (generally the same as a dedicated).

A cluster employs horizontal scaling, spreading out the load across multiple servers - for both apache webservers and databases. It's not a trivial change to make but it does allow you several advantages such as adding new machines to the cluster as your needs either grow or fluctuate. These machines can be part of a cloud or dedicated servers.

My recommendation normally is to use dedicated/VPSs for the core set, enough to meet minimum demand. Then spill over any excess demand into the cloud given its faster provisioning.

Cloud hosting is one of the best, reliable and secure hosting services for less cost.

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    Not always true. It depends on which "Cloud" provider you go with. I was with sitecloud.com for a while and they were down at least an hour a day, on average. Good thing they folded .

Ever heard of something called RAID?
    yes but you will have more downtime than if you go with the reliable SAN storage.
    HPCHost
    Managed VMware Solutions | Public Cloud | Private Cloud | Dedicated Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by nickmars View Post
    yes but you will have more downtime than if you go with the reliable SAN storage.
    And visa versa. A lot of dedicated servers will be much more reliable than cloud servers. I am starting to notice a general trend that regular servers are MUCH more reliable than SANs. They just have too many problems.