Will Tablets be taking over Desktops and Laptops in future?

After looking at some videos and screenshots of tablets running Android Honeycomb (version 3), I must say that they are very impressive and I'm very tempted to get myself one of it!

The popularity of tablets is rising and from what I see on tablets running Android Honeycomb, it can very possibly be a hint of the future! I believe that mouse is going to be history and desktop OS like Windows and Mac are going to lose their significance if the progress of mobile computing remains constant.

The hardwares are constantly improving at a very fast pace - we already have dual core CPU in 4" smartphones currently and I believe in a year or 2, triple or quad core may even be made possible!

What do you think?

Tablets have their place for sure... But for productivity, there are many area's in which they would just be counter productive. I think that desktops will be safe, especially in businesses, although like laptops, tablets will be more popular in the home market.

10 years ago, lots of people had pc's and not laptops. Now lots of people have laptops and dont bother too much with desktops. Tablets are just following suit with laptops really.

re: productivity -- precisely. That, and until I can connect via a physical network cable I have no interest in tablets. Wireless is far too readily exploitable.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    After looking at some videos and screenshots of tablets running Android Honeycomb (version 3), I must say that they are very impressive and I'm very tempted to get myself one of it!

The popularity of tablets is rising and from what I see on tablets running Android Honeycomb, it can very possibly be a hint of the future! I believe that mouse is going to be history and desktop OS like Windows and Mac are going to lose their significance if the progress of mobile computing remains constant.

The hardwares are constantly improving at a very fast pace - we already have dual core CPU in 4" smartphones currently and I believe in a year or 2, triple or quad core may even be made possible!

What do you think?
    Nope. Regardless of how advanced they become, I will always prefer laptops and desktops.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Nope. Regardless of how advanced they become, I will always prefer laptops and desktops.
    I absolutely agree! No matter how advanced and convenient they become I am not sure I could ever work from one on a daily basis. I like having my dual screen setup so I have room to open things up and code.

When I was on Christmas vacation it was hard to work from my laptop screen, I can't imagine a smaller screen on a daily basis!
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    I absolutely agree! No matter how advanced and convenient they become I am not sure I could ever work from one on a daily basis. I like having my dual screen setup so I have room to open things up and code.

When I was on Christmas vacation it was hard to work from my laptop screen, I can't imagine a smaller screen on a daily basis!
    Realistically the size and power of tablets will always be limited. Why would I use a tablet 24/7 when I could buy a laptop that was far more powerful? And unless they've put 28" tablets on the market it has 0 chance of replacing my desktop

I think not too far in the future, the desktop will begin to fade in the consumer space with laptops and tablets taking over. The main complaint regarding laptops has been there performance and inability to play higher end games, but I think that gap has narrowed considerably over the years.

Tablets have some catching up to do regarding performance, so there will still be a need for laptops etc.

Then again there could always be some new unknown device to take everyone by surprise in years t come.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

For long term use, tablets have limited features.

I hate them when it comes to productivity. I have an Ipad which is very much like a tablet and I only use it to show clients their sites as it is easier to carry around than a laptop. Give me a monitor, keyboard and mouse and I can type 60 words a min. Give me an ipad and ill be lucky do five words a min.

Tablets taking over? No, but tablets working beside laptops, PCs and smartphones, yep.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

It just comes down to using the right tool for the task at hand. For work I use my 17" MacBook Pro. For gaming, I use my new Windows7 desktop PC (i7, GTX-580, 8GB RAM) with a 27" Dell monitor. To read my Flipboard feeds over breakfast or in a coffee shop, I use my iPad. My on the go device is my iPhone4. They all work well together and each excels in their own way. Neither device is trying to replace another device.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

With the current tablets you can even look up briefly in the internet or watch some pictures at home. If I work with e. g. Excel, the notebook or desktop with a big screen is always the best alternative. Maybe it will be interesting in the future but then always with a docking station.

As for me, it actually depends on the person-- what he does, what he needs, and what he demands. Some still prefer desktops amidst the blooming of laptops and tablets.

It really depends on what you need to do. I can use my iPad for 90% of what I use a desk system for. That last 10% though, is big. As something for reading, consuming media, and doing net stuff, tablets are fine. But, if you want to do anything heavy (i.e. photo work, writing extensively, etc) current tablets fall flat on their faces.

Do I like the ipad? Yes. Would I give up a real keyboard and real pointing device for it? Hell no.
    Eric Gregory
    Total Server Solutions
    - Servers - Cloud - ECommerce Hosting
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected. Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix
    Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago - Seattle - London

Quote Originally Posted by viGeek View Post
    I think not too far in the future, the desktop will begin to fade in the consumer space with laptops and tablets taking over. The main complaint regarding laptops has been there performance and inability to play higher end games, but I think that gap has narrowed considerably over the years.

Tablets have some catching up to do regarding performance, so there will still be a need for laptops etc.

Then again there could always be some new unknown device to take everyone by surprise in years t come.
    you should tell that when a laptop or a tablet can provide you with a 30 inch screen.

Tablets fit a certain purpose and I don't think it would be suitable for a Desktop.

They're more of a portable device that a desktop replacement. Some may be able to fit the purpose of Laptops in the future, though even then, I think you'd be able to get a considerable amount more performance from a laptop than a tablet.

I is quite possible for tablets to take the old desktops and laptops. They have one big advantage: they are small and easy to carry.
    In rest ... they do quite the same as everybody else.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action

I think things may very well turn out towards tablets. But not for another 2-3 years atleast!
    "You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period." - Pursuit of Happyness

I completely agree! First I can't justify buying a tablet.

Example: iPad

Buy iPad: $499.00 (Approx.)
    Buy APPs: Price vary, but all of them cost (Assume their might be free ones, but not as many.)

Desktop or Laptop: I've paid Applications, but can find free alternatives that do the same thing.

I prefer using a desktop or my laptop.

I don't think so, just imagine click a button 1000 times on tablets with your finger... with mouse it's much easier.

Tablets are cool, but I'd prefer sticking with a Desktop/Laptop. Besides, some features Desktops/Laptops have would be difficult to implement into a Tablet.

If I had to choose, I'd say the iPad.

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-e...sformer-review

that's the tablet we should all be buying if we buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    you should tell that when a laptop or a tablet can provide you with a 30 inch screen.
    This is what docking stations are for
    Linux junkie | steward.io