Question Email Server on VPS?

Hello,

Does anyone have any links to VPS tutorials to install a mail server on a VPS? I want to set up a simple email service on it to test. I want a script similar to squirrelmail to run on it.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by FreebieHost View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone have any links to VPS tutorials to install a mail server on a VPS? I want to set up a simple email service on it to test. I want a script similar to squirrelmail to run on it.

Thank you.
    What OS are you using? There's a lot of choices, but a little more information would help us point you to the easiest solution.
    Best Regards,
    Tim
    --
    Code monkey at EZP, see me on Stack Overflow

If you have 512MB or more of RAM, you can install Virtualmin: http://www.virtualmin.com

It'll provide a nearly-idiot-proof Postfix installation on most sensible Linux distributions, with options for spam and virus filtering, DKIM support, and greylisting.

If you have less than 256MB of RAM, see http://www.lifewithqmail.org. Or install Kloxo, which will give you a slightly superior qmail installation, complete with webmail.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

If you want a great mail server setup qmailrocks. qmailrocks.org is gone I did find it here though.

http://qmr.bnight.exsisto.com/contributions.php

It is a long install though. Like tinkertim said virtualmin is easy... Although I have never tried lifewithqmail.org qmail is better IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Ankheg View Post
    Or install Kloxo, which will give you a slightly superior qmail installation, complete with webmail.
    I'm running Kloxo with qmail, but I have no idea what's so great about it.

Someone recommended qmail to me quite a long time ago, maybe back in 2003. I was operating a dialup ISP at the time. I found qmail to be clumsy to install (they've fixed that now with qmail-toaster) and difficult to customize. For most modifications (smtp authentication, for example) it requires applying a mod, recompiling, and reinstalling. The fact is that the last release of qmail was back on 1998, so qmail hasn't kept up with email technology.

Qmail was developed to offer a security improvement over sendmail, by compartmentalizing the various tasks with different ownerships and permissions. It's been argued that sendmail isn't the security risk that it used to be. I don't know for sure because I have no experience with sendmail, but I know people who use sendmail and don't have security issues. Most Linux distros still come with sendmail, so I suspect that it has satisfactory security.

If I had my choice of MTAs it would be the third alternative, postfix. Postfix is simple to install, secure, and it's kept up with email technology. I used postfix as the MTA for my dialup ISP company and really liked it. The smtp authentication modification was simple to apply.

There has been some discussion among Kloxo developers to provide support for postfix, but it hasn't gone far yet. Personally, I would like to see them drop qmail altogether and package Kloxo with postfix instead.

But to answer the original poster's question, postfix is very simple to install. With CentOS just issue the following command.

yum install postfix

Can't get any easier than that.

But the question was worded a little oddly. Squirrelmail is not an email server application (not an MTA), it's a webmail access application. But again, with CentOS you can have yum install Squirrelmail.

yum install squirrelmail
    Last edited by ajonate; 04-20-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajonate View Post
    I'm running Kloxo with qmail, but I have no idea what's so great about it.
    I was actually saying that Kloxo will give you a slightly better qmail install than following the life-with-qmail instructions - largely because you wind up with a better antispam system.

That being said, after using qmail, Exim, Sendmail, and Postfix for a decade... qmail (well, net-qmail, or patched versions like that which come with Kloxo) is admirably fast, lightweight, secure, RFC-compliant, and easy to configure. It's also far and away the easiest MTA to setup as a secondary/backup MX.

(The Kloxo install, for what it's worth, is (still) let down by a less-than-worthless default configuration, though it's improved very slightly since the old LXAdmin days. Go poke around /var/qmail/control, edit /etc/spamdyke.conf, check /var/qmail/supervise/smtpd/run to make sure rblsmtpd is installed, and check that /var/qmail/control/blacklists contains the DNSBLs you'd like to use, prefaced by "-r".)
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Thanks. I'm not all that familiar with qmail. I took some time to look around.

/etc/spamdyke.conf looks reasonable to me
    /var/qmail/supervise/smtpd/run rblsmtpd is installed
    /var/qmail/control/blacklists -r zen.spamhaus.org

If all you want to do is read email and send email (as a human) to/from [email protected], I wouldn't both with setting up a mail server and squirrelmail. GMail is free. You can have your site on your VPS and direct the MX to Gmail. They'll tell you how :-)

If you run your own email server, you have to deal with spam yourself. There are solutions but none as as good as Google's/Postini's in my experience. And of course, all that spam comes out of your bandwidth...

BTW, you can also have things setup so that Gmail has your mailbox, your VPS has your site, and you can still send email from your VPS (if you have scripts/jobs/forms/etc.) That's what I do in 99% of cases.

Postfix+dovecot+spamassassin+sasl

http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-ma...rrel-mail.html

If you need spam filtering, try spamassassin integration with postfix here

http://townx.org/blog/elliot/simple_..._ubuntu_breezy

I think it's beneficial to do your own mail server installation. It teaches you a lot if you're willing to put the time in to learn how the mail system works instead of just following a tutorial and leaving it wide open. If something goes wrong, and you didn't learn the ins and outs, you won't know how to troubleshoot it.

By the way, I'm in the process of documenting my mail server setup at the following link. It's still a work in progress.

http://madspace2.rajeshprakash.com/lowendvpsconfig.htm
    Last edited by portalgod; 04-21-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Shameless plug of my system setup guide