Question Does OpenVZ VPS have any sort of restrictions on the humber of hits/visitors?

Hello,

Does OpenVZ VPS specifically, have any sort of issues/limits with the number of hits, or number of visitors per month?

I have no any practical experience in running OpenVZ or even VPS hosting, so I can't tell, but at the same time I was curious about it. And seeing that resources are shared between so many clients and "the connection to Internet". So, is it really able to work as dedicated servers in that matter?

Thanks a lot!
    Signature

No, there are no such explicit limits. OpenVZ VPS (or any VPS for that matter) is like a dedicated server, only a smaller one (usualy).
    You are limited by the amount of RAM you have, the amount of disk space, the amount of bandwidth and so on.

I will give you an example: If you have a VPS that offers DVD isos for download, each with a size of 4GB and you have 100GB monthly limit then only 25 people can download the iso before you run out of bandwidth.
    If on the same VPS you have a simple web page that is 100k big, it can be viewed 1 million times before you run out of bandwidth.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Violetli View Post
    Hello,

Does OpenVZ VPS specifically, have any sort of issues/limits with the number of hits, or number of visitors per month?

I have no any practical experience in running OpenVZ or even VPS hosting, so I can't tell, but at the same time I was curious about it. And seeing that resources are shared between so many clients and "the connection to Internet". So, is it really able to work as dedicated servers in that matter?

Thanks a lot!
    For limitation you can use some free or paid control panel.

Your VPS owner can limit your bandwidth,resource,etc..
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    No, there are no such explicit limits. OpenVZ VPS (or any VPS for that matter) is like a dedicated server, only a smaller one (usualy).
    You are limited by the amount of RAM you have, the amount of disk space, the amount of bandwidth and so on.

I will give you an example: If you have a VPS that offers DVD isos for download, each with a size of 4GB and you have 100GB monthly limit then only 25 people can download the iso before you run out of bandwidth.
    If on the same VPS you have a simple web page that is 100k big, it can be viewed 1 million times before you run out of bandwidth.
    Thanks a lot for the clarification well done, I wanted to make sure of this .

However, if this page size is 1kb only, the supposed not 1 million but 100 million hits in this case can be achieved without any sort of effect to the whole node connection?... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    For limitation you can use some free or paid control panel.

Your VPS owner can limit your bandwidth,resource,etc..
    Thanks a lot for reply. And I didn't mean in the shared hosting/control panel level, but in VPS level. When you have a VPS, is number of hits really unlimited? or there is a sort of limit.

To clarify it further if we suppose a node is linked to a 100mbps fiber optic, each VPS on that node will have its very own hits as if it's a node itself, however the route to internet in this case goes through a single path which is the fiber optic hooked to it. So, does it make sense that there are sort of "hidden" or unmentioned limits on that? Or is the fiber optic fast enough to have this whole thing omitted when the node line is shared among possibly hundreds of virtual servers?

Also maybe a datacenter network engineer is the one who might give a final word about.
    Signature

A 100mbit port can make about 32000 Gigabytes of transfer per month (in one direction) if used at 100%
    Assuming you have 100GB limit, that is about 0.3% of the port bandwidth.
    Yet if the speeds of the inidividual VPSes are not limited to less than the maximum port speed, one VPS can make a lot of traffic for short time and cause congetion and problems for the other VPSes.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    A 100mbit port can make about 32000 Gigabytes of transfer per month (in one direction) if used at 100%
    Assuming you have 100GB limit, that is about 0.3% of the port bandwidth.
    Yet if the speeds of the inidividual VPSes are not limited to less than the maximum port speed, one VPS can make a lot of traffic for short time and cause congetion and problems for the other VPSes.
    Thanks!

This means it is ONLY bandwidth value driven! No hits/clicks effect on the node port.
    Signature