Thread: asmallorange?

Question asmallorange?

After deciding to change hosts, we just signed up this evening with asmallorange and was curious to see if there's any (recent) feedback from any regular users here. I'm pretty experienced within the hosting industry and they are one of the few companies I haven't used in the past. They seem pretty solid. Looking forward to hearing any reviews (both positive and negative)
    Last edited by The Rover; 04-20-2011 at 12:35 AM.

It appears hostgator is running them via a puppet-ceo, so you probably can't go wrong with choosing them HG seems to run a tight ship.

Agreed about HG. I nearly accepted a job there in the distant past. Interesting..was this a recent acquisition?

Ah, I just read that Brent acquired it personally, last year apparently? nice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    Ah, I just read that Brent acquired it personally, last year apparently? nice.
    Indeed, I haven't heard much about them lately but I suppose that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Indeed, I haven't heard much about them lately but I suppose that's good news.
    Little different in the way Brent's acquired site5 / asmallorange / several other entities in the same manner. I suppose it was possibly in preparation for the hostgator sale which didn't go through.
    As it stands they're all very solid brands, so can't complain either way Can't imagine why they would keep the employees separate though and avoid consolidation for cost-savings purposes, e.g. site5 / aso / etc. all working together under a single roof.

In the end diversity is key.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    As it stands they're all very solid brands, so can't complain either way Can't imagine why they would keep the employees separate though and avoid consolidation for cost-savings purposes, e.g. site5 / aso / etc. all working together under a single roof.

In the end diversity is key.
    Puppet CEO? Man, ya'll are *harsh*.

While I can't speak to HostGator, Site5, or what Brent was or wasn't thinking (as I have never met the man), I can assure everyone that as far as ASO is concerned, the employees are separate, as are the infrastructures. We have our own management team, our own employees, our own policies and procedures and so on and so on.

Despite sharing an investor with HG, ASO is an independent legal entity.

Puppet CEO. Sheesh.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Little different in the way Brent's acquired site5 / asmallorange / several other entities in the same manner.
    Woah, acquired Site5?

They have competent tech support.

Woah, acquired Site5?

I think he made a mistake unless this news was released last night . From what I know, Ben Welch-bolen is the new CEO of Site5 and acquired site5 about 2 1/2 years ago with his partner. Since then, things really took a turn for the better at Site5.
    LevelHosting Inc. - Unlimited Web Hosting at your level
    cPanel, CloudLinux, LiteSpeed, RVSiteBuilder Pro, Softaculous and 24/7 Support
    Meeting the demands of high traffic web sites at an affordable price!

Quote Originally Posted by LevelHosting Inc View Post
    I think he made a mistake unless this news was released last night . From what I know, Ben Welch-bolen is the new CEO of Site5 and acquired site5 about 2 1/2 years ago with his partner. Since then, things really took a turn for the better at Site5.
    Ha I know - I worked under Ben at Site5 for a period of time so it was a surprise to see Site5 listed.

Ha I know - I worked under Ben at Site5 for a period of time.
    Well then, that confirms everything . I can't say I know what it's like to work with or for Ben but from the communication I've exchanged with him over LinkedIn he seems like a very educated and well rounded individual.

Quote Originally Posted by LevelHosting Inc View Post
    I think he made a mistake...
    Perhaps. Or, you could dig as well and end up with the same result. I didn't imagine any of the links between these companies without significant digging. The amount of secrecy within it all is kind of awkward, but that doesn't necessarily infer anything nefarious: Merely diversification.
    Last edited by David; 04-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.

ASO were my longest serving host.....94-97 I think.
    Tim did a great job of building the business up, and I only left them because I'd outgrown reseller accounts and they couldn't supply a managed VPS.
    I know nothing about them in recent years, but ASO as a brand looked after me well.....I've got nothing but good memories of those three years.
    I wish them all the best for the future, and it's good to see them getting more mentions here....as they're definitely a very credible company.

ASO were my longest serving host.....94-97 I think.
    04-07 rather. They're not that old.

I've been with ASO almost from the beginning...Back in 2004

Tim did a fantastic job building the brand. I started with ASO with a small shared account, today I have 3 managed dedicated servers with them.

I wouldnt have stayed all this time and grown with ASO if theydidnt take good care of me. Your in good hands with ASO.

There is good and bad with any large company as no provider is perfect for every customer, every need, and every situation. One thing to keep in mind is that people are much more likely to submit a review if they're unhappy than if they are happy so if you see a lot of positive reviews compared to only a few negative reviews then they must be doing a stellar job.

Beyond that, I suggest searching WHT like this: http://www.screen-shot.net/WHTSearch.png
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.