Thread: Disable dd test

Question Disable dd test

Is there anyway to disable the following disk test on a server?

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

We have a few people who love to run this very frequently and I would prefer to disable it all together on the server if possible. The server is broken up into vps's using Openvz, I would like to disable the test on the vps's.

dd is a command so if you want to stop this to be used by others just type which dd on your servers command line console and then go to the directory and change the permission of dd from 755 to 700 using chmod command.

Hey thanks for the reply, I just gave that a try and the command can still be run on the vps though.

If your clients have root access to a VPS you have no way to stop them running any command they want to on it. How frequently are the "few people" running these disk tests? If they're really abusing your system then you should contact them - remind them of their responsibilities to others, the clause in your ToS / AUP about excessive resource usage and the likely consequences if they continue.

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Also educate them that it is not giving them the best test they could have for disk i/o since it is linear only. It is a good baseline, but that's about it.

Okay thanks, both those comments were quite helpful. I'm going add somethings about this to our TOS and let them know their servers aren't for benchmarking.