Thread: Help needed

Help needed

So I'm a newbie in this thing of "Colocation"..

So basically colocation allows me to have a server in a Datacenter right?

And one more thing, in the colocation offers we see posts like "100Mbps , 5000gb bandwith" that means that if I choose this colocation I'll have 100Mbps of download and upload in my server?

And normally the "internet lines" in colocation are shared or private?

Thanks

In colocation you supply your own hardware. For small installations (a few servers) you only need to provide the server, this is usually called shared colocation. When your looking for more space, say a cabinet, you would generally need to provide your own pdu (power distribution unit) basically a power strip with variable options like remote monitoring and power control, switch and servers.

100Mbps usually refers to the port speed, full duplex, so you will be able to transfer at a maximum of 100Mbps for a total of 5000gb of transfer each month (usually billed by the largest direction of transfer not a combined total of inbound + outbound). In general if you purchase bandwidth directly from the data center (most people do in shared colo) you will be using shared bandwidth available to everyone else in the facility, if the data center is carrier neutral you have the option to bring your own lines in and work directly with a provider (Level3, globalcrossing, etc).

Okay thank you for the help.

Just one more thing why is there colocations that promise 100Mbps of port speed and the price is more or less 90,00$ and others that for the same port (100Mbps) the price is 700,00$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieBusT View Post

Just one more thing why is there colocations that promise 100Mbps of port speed and the price is more or less 90,00$ and others that for the same port (100Mbps) the price is 700,00$ ?
    I'm presuming that they're the same port speed, but have different amounts of included bandwidth?

In addition, bandwidth pricing can be very variable depending on the location, the upstream (transit) networks used, the degree of overselling, the margin of the business, where the provider currently is at with their own bandwidth commitments (i.e. they are likely to offer bandwidth cheaper if they are under their commits), how much volume of bandwidth they purchase, etc...
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Ok thank you a lot for the help I really needed..

Just one more thing, I don't like the 1U server cases because they are really small I like a tower, how many U's is in one tower?

(Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions)

Tower will eat more space than 1U.

I recommend to go for 1U.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I know, I've searched and I found out that a tower is 4U...

My problem with 1U is that with 1U can I buy the hardware that I want?

Like I want a AMD X6 and 8GB of memory can I put that in the 1U?

It might be possible because of different bandwidth.

I know, I've searched and I found out that a tower is 4U...

My problem with 1U is that with 1U can I buy the hardware that I want?

Like I want a AMD X6 and 8GB of memory can I put that in the 1U?
    In 1U you can even install 4 AMD Opterons with 512GB of memory(But you need to choose the right case).

Ok thank you a lot for the help I really needed..

Just one more thing, I don't like the 1U server cases because they are really small I like a tower, how many U's is in one tower?

(Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions)
    If you're co-locating, towers are going to cost a lot more as they take up much more space in a cabinet. Unless you have bread racks as an option, you'll probably want to stick with rackmount gear.

If you find 1U's too small, you can always go for a 2U case. There's usually ample room to install any standard ATX motherboard, and allows you to use a regular I/O shield, so there's less concern about the compatibility between the chassis and the motherboard.

As you're new to co-location, I'd suggest also looking into dedicated hosting. It's usually more cost effective than co-locating a single server (when taking total cost of ownership into account), and you won't need to bother with the hardware issues beyond the specs you want, or have to deal with any space, power, or network connectivity issues. Most importantly, you won't have to go to the data centre in the middle of the night if your server goes down.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Thanks to you all...

Ye right now I don't need a colo plan..But in the future I'm thinking to build a Game Server Hosting Company...

But just one more thing, (I'm from Portugal) and I travel sometimes to Germany so do you think that if I need colo I should put the server in Germany?
    Colo in Portugal is really expensive and in Germany my server is in the middle of Europe..

But just one more thing, (I'm from Portugal) and I travel sometimes to Germany so do you think that if I need colo I should put the server in Germany?
    Colo in Portugal is really expensive and in Germany my server is in the middle of Europe..
    Yes. Germany is a major international internet hub. You'll be able to find plenty of cheap bandwidth.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

i think that you should consider to colocate where your customer base is.

If it is Portugal or Spain, you should look into Portugal or Spain... If it is northern europe, then, Germany or The Netherlands.

Pricewise, if you look better, you'll find offers in Portugal at decent rates...

regards,
    --nvieira