Thread: InterServer.net

Thumbs up InterServer.net

I ordered a low cost Atom dedicated server from InterServer.net early this year and have had it working as a slave DNS server as well as doing Nagios checks on my other servers/devices. In order to keep the cost low I opted for a single drive since downtime on this setup would not really have much impact, and I do nightly backups anyway.

This server basically chugged along doing what I had setup for months without issues. Then the other morning I noticed I didn't get the usual daily email summary from it so I decide to login and investigate. I find a failing hard drive. I send a quick ticket to support as a low priority request, and within an hour I have a response confirming the failing drive. I am asked if I would like to just do a fresh install or clone the drive, and the estimated times for each. I requested they make one attempt to clone the drive, but if any issues were encountered just do an install and I would restore from a backup. They proceed to do the clone and update me periodically through the process as to where the clone is, and when it is completed.

I must say that I am a very satisfied customer and have had no issues with the service provided by InterServer, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with them!

I used Interserver years ago for about 2 years and never had an issue then. I think in the 2 years I had a server there I submitted one ticket and all issues with solved within a half hour.
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

They haven't been mentioned much in WHT, glad to see them around and keeping customers happy!

good review, next i will try to rent server from interserver

If targeted traffic from Malaysia, is InterServer a good choice?

The review you have given here is helpful, it would be useful to those peoples who are looking to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD View Post
    I ordered a low cost Atom dedicated server from InterServer.net early this year and have had it working as a slave DNS server as well as doing Nagios checks on my other servers/devices. In order to keep the cost low I opted for a single drive since downtime on this setup would not really have much impact, and I do nightly backups anyway.

This server basically chugged along doing what I had setup for months without issues. Then the other morning I noticed I didn't get the usual daily email summary from it so I decide to login and investigate. I find a failing hard drive. I send a quick ticket to support as a low priority request, and within an hour I have a response confirming the failing drive. I am asked if I would like to just do a fresh install or clone the drive, and the estimated times for each. I requested they make one attempt to clone the drive, but if any issues were encountered just do an install and I would restore from a backup. They proceed to do the clone and update me periodically through the process as to where the clone is, and when it is completed.

I must say that I am a very satisfied customer and have had no issues with the service provided by InterServer, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
    Ouch cloning the drive is typically a long wait and never 100% guaranteed you should consider adding raid.

Quote Originally Posted by semoweb View Post
    Ouch cloning the drive is typically a long wait and never 100% guaranteed you should consider adding raid.
    True, but the price of an added drive VS the price of a VPS on a totally different network is about the same, so I opted for a VPS and replicating the entire server. After all DNS and Nagios are designed to be distributed so having this type os server down for a few hours is not a big deal to me.

In general though I would absolutely agree that a RAID setup is the way to go.