Thread: SSD on Server?

SSD on Server?

Is it worth?
    Last long? (5years?)
    Purpose: database server

SSD is an unproven technology, I would use RAID1 or RAID10 (software) with SSD drives. All drives fail.
    Dallas Colocation by Incero, 8 years and counting!
    e: sales(at)incero(dot)com 855.217.COLO (2656)
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff
    SSAE 16, SAS70, Redundant Power & Network, Fully Diverse Fiber

To benefit from SSD also, make sure your OS/Kernel does support it.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    SSD is an unproven technology, I would use RAID1 or RAID10 (software) with SSD drives. All drives fail.
    Why not RAID5? Need the CPU cycles?

All drives fail, yet we've yet to have any of the 100+ SSDs we've had fail in any manner that caused data loss, with some being deployed for 2+ years. Now, that isn't to say they'll never fail, but so far the failure rate of an SSD is lower than that of RAID cards.

In common use cases you won't have to worry about lifespan if you're using a SLC based drive. If you're going to use MLC, expect 5+ years.

To note, we only use Intel SSDs. We've had customers with terrible failure rates with OCZ and mtron drives.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

i wonder if sandybridge with supermicro board support 4 ssd raid 10?
    anyone using it before?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Why not RAID5? Need the CPU cycles?

...of the 100+ SSDs we've had fail in any manner that caused data loss...
    Right, I assumed OP was referring to single SSD hence my budget-minded RAID1 suggestion. And yes, save CPU cycles with non-parity RAID, assume he doesn't want parity calculations on the CPU on a database server.

That's pretty cool on the failure rates, assume the dead drives you've had have gone into a read only mode?
    Last edited by ServiceProvider; 04-19-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Colocation & Enterprise Servers, SATA/SAS/SSD, secure IPMI/KVM remote control, 100% U.S.A. Based Staff

Quote Originally Posted by vidan View Post
    i wonder if sandybridge with supermicro board support 4 ssd raid 10?
    anyone using it before?
    Most any motherboard will do this, yes. Setup the drives in AHCI mode in BIOS if you want to hotswap them. Setup the RAID within your OS of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrp View Post
    Right, I assumed OP was referring to single SSD hence my budget-minded RAID1 suggestion. And yes, save CPU cycles with non-parity RAID, assume he doesn't want parity calculations on the CPU on a database server.

That's pretty cool on the failure rates, assume the dead drives you've had have gone into a read only mode?
    We've had one go into read only and one that had odd issues, which could have been the SATA controller or motherboard as well, but was still able to be read from.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Whats your experience with 4 x SSD RAID5? I am thinking use it for vps hosting.