Quick Help - Newbie Question

So, I have a question that should be easy for most who have done this before to answer...

I just purchased my first domain name and it came with CPanel and WHM. I have the HTML code for the website typed up in DreamWeaver and and it looks fine.

My question is how do I get that .html file to show on my site? The only thing that is showing now is an index of all of the different files in my folders.

Thanks for your help!

You need to make directory listing in .htaccess file. You can find the .htaccess file in root folder of website.

Rename the file for index.html
    Sorry for bad english

yes, you are right. just go to cPanel and follow the below instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnston981 View Post
    You need to make directory listing in .htaccess file. You can find the .htaccess file in root folder of website.

Not finding the .htaccess file anywhere...

Just rename your 1st file (index - home) to index.html or index.php
    That's the common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by johnston981 View Post
    So I've found several .htaccess files. But what do you mean by "make a directory listing?"

Ignore that suggestion, I believe he misunderstood.
    The first page in a site if not specified should be named "index.html" or "index.php" on a Cpanel server account. If you'd like some other file name to be the default, you would need to tell the webserver what that name should be through an .htaccess file in the document root of the site.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Ignore that suggestion, I believe he misunderstood.
    The first page in a site if not specified should be named "index.html" or "index.php" on a Cpanel server account. If you'd like some other file name to be the default, you would need to tell the webserver what that name should be through an .htaccess file in the document root of the site.
    Yes, I understand this. I have the .html (index.html) file in my public_html folder in File Manager. My question is how do I get this page to show when I go to my site? It's currently just showing an index of my files in public_html. I can click on the file and then it brings me to the page, but I want to know how to avoid that step and just have it show as my home page like a normal website.

Try to rename the original index.html to something like index2.html and rename your .html file to index.php or index.html..

Quote Originally Posted by iNVERSE1 View Post
    It's currently just showing an index of my files in public_html. I can click on the file and then it brings me to the page, but I want to know how to avoid that step and just have it show as my home page like a normal website.
    Strange that it doesn't recognize the default index page.
    In the main directory, public_html, you will need to edit or create an .htaccess file. In that, place this line:
    Code:
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
    This would be better set in the httpd.conf file server wide, however, in my opinion. It usually is by default on Cpanel.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!