How Not To Treat A Paying Customer - Hostek.com

I feel so strongly about this subject I actually just made an account here just to put my point accross.

Ok so I am searching the internet for a cheap windows reseller account, Google i used.

I came accross this website

reseller-hosting-asp.com/hosting.html hosted by and owned by hostek.com.

The page clearly says "Reseller Hosting ASP"

Followed by a package and a price per month, the order button goes to hostek.com.

I signed up thinking I was getting a Windows Reseller Account, but actually it turns out its web hosting account.

I contacted the sales people on their website and they said its an old webpage that does not really get used anymore.

But my argument is your advertising a service for a price. And I expect to receive that service you are advertising weather it be wrong or not.

Now, was this a con or fraud? I don't know but if a company has made a mistake they should stand by that and put it right.

No they have my money, my personal details but no account.

So based on my experience KEEP CLEAR ITS A CON!!!

==============================
    My Chat Log With hostek.com

Ryan Jones: I have just signed up for what was described as a windows reseller account, and now it says windows web hosting, I was to confirm I am getting a windows reseller account

You are now speaking with William S. of Sales.

William S.: Hello

William S.: What domain is this regarding?

Ryan Jones: *****.com

Ryan Jones: Reseller Hosting ASP
    Windows Hosting Space Traffic Cost Domains Order
    Windows Unlimited unlimited* unlimited* $9.95
    month unlimited*

Ryan Jones:

William S.: What is the url that you saw it say it was a reseller account?

Ryan Jones: reseller-hosting-asp.com/hosting.html

Ryan Jones: seems to be one of your sites on the whois

William S.: The unlimited is just a regular hosting account

William S.: I will need to check with one of my admins on this as this is not our main site

Ryan Jones: then why does it say "Reseller Hosting ASP" "Domains Unlimited"

William S.: There is a star next to unlimited that goes to our terms of service about the unlimited hostek.com/tos.asp#unlimited

Ryan Jones: Well i'm not happy, Iv been tricked into signing up for something thats advertised as a reseller account , But being sold as a web hosting account. Thats fraudulent, yes it goes to a terms and conditions, it does not say its NOT a reseller account but the webpage does say its a reseller account and thats what i expect

William S.: My admin is in a meeting right now

William S.: I can get your information and get back to you as soon as they get back

Ryan Jones: and how long will this be, I feel like iv been cheated. I signup for something in good faith , only to find out i have been lied to. Is this how you normally run a business. ?? I want what i have signed up for at the price stated. Or i'm going to expose your underhand selling tricks on WHT & Digital point, IM FUMING

William S.: I apologize for the confusion this site is not our main site and we very rarely get orders from this site and this was a complete mistake

Ryan Jones: and yet its been sat their since 2010-10-07

William S.: the part that says "Reseller Hosting ASP" is just a title on the page

Ryan Jones: implying its a reseller accout...

William S.: The actual plan type is inside of that box where it says windows hosting

Ryan Jones: meaning its based on windows hosting, it still says reseller hosting

William S.: Here is a link to our actual ASP reseller accounts hostek.com/hosting/windows/unlimited-domains-asp.net-reseller-hosting.asp?src=search

William S.: We may be able to offer you a discount but it is highly unlikely that we will be able to setup a reseller account for you for the same price as the unlimited plan

William S.: This page reseller-hosting-asp.com/hosting.html also list coldfusion and linux plans but they are also not reseller plans

Ryan Jones: Yes i have looked at them, But i didnt signup to that, I signed up to what has been advertised, and i'm entitled to receive what's been advertised. If this is a mistake then fine, But you should take responsibility for your mistakes and actions, by doing the right thing and honoring whats advertised. And if they are not reseller plans why do the keywords reflect reseller hosting and not shared hosting account. And again why does the page say reseller hosting

Ryan Jones: i understand its not YOUR mistake, but still its the companys mistake and they should own up

Ryan Jones: ?

William S.: I apologize I was calling my admin about this

William S.: He let me know that the keywords were being pulled dynamically based on the domain name and that there is not any intentional misleading going on

William S.: I can offer you a month free on our reseller plans at the link that I sent you earlier

Ryan Jones: and the following months at the price advertised. You can't expect me to pay more, I have already signed up for what was advertised as a reseller account.

Ryan Jones: i would get a month free anyway as per the coupon on your website, so really you are not giving me anything

William S.: I apologize we were not advertising our reseller plans we were advertising our unlimited plan which in our terms of service say cannot be used as a reseller account

Ryan Jones: yes and thats fine, But you have advertised it as a reseller account and a reseller account is a reseller account

Your party has left this session.

So they just left the chat....

Anyone have any advice, I have a paypal claim in now

And now they refuse to talk to me aswell

We are sorry, live chat for our sales department is currently unavailable. Please submit a message, and it will automatically be added to our support queue so that we can respond as quickly as possible.

No wonder web hosts have a bad rep!!!!

looks like the page redirects (litteraly just done) to the correct page now, I did see the page you were talking about and it did say Reseller Hosting ASP at the top but based on the package details below the order link on the old page it did read more like a shared account.

I sugest you ask for your money back via a support ticket the fact that the page redirects it a fairly good acknowledgemet that the old page was wrong.

Do you realy want an unlimited windows reseller account at that price though? if you plan to use it for your own sites and dont mind poor performance then not an issue I guess but if you planned to resell that based on the price I would say your future customers will be just as unhappy with you as you are with hostek.com

Mistakes happen. Did you ask for a quick refund of the Paypal amount? Usually that's the best course of action, and its really all that you are legally entitled to.

The vendor does not (legally) have to provide the service to you at the price cited on the erroneous web page. Its evidently an error on the "Title" meta tag on the page. Its easy to see how you would think its a reseller account, but I'm guessing the description of the plan and the linked TOS were for a different plan. Its easy to see how that kind of mistake could be made.

It would be a nice gesture if they extended the reseller service to you at that price for a while.

Well they made a mistake, if someone makes a typo offering a quad core dedicated server for $19 instead of $199 and they get 50 orders they're not obligated to follow through. Did you ask for a refund?
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

You come across as unreasonable, confrontational, and semi-abusive. A rotten customer.
    I side with the host.
    The customer is not always right.
    This is one of those times.

I wish WHT had a feature to "flag" users you don't like or don't want to help.
    I would hate to suggest a bad customer to a good host.
    I like my hosts, I don't want to refer them somebody that's abusive or unreasonable.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I agree and not agree at the same time...

I do partly agree with you here, if they made a typo and put it up on the web, they should suffer the consequences of their lack of proof-reading, but at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    The customer is not always right.
    This is one of those times.
    KPMedia is right here, I've also made genuine mistakes that I've had to pay for, but I always managed to get things right again by simply co-operating in a friendly manner.

Actually in the United States of America if someone offers a dedicated server for 20$ instead of 200$ they have to sell it otherwise its called "false advertising". How is he being a bad customer he payed for service and he wants what he payed for. Its not his fault the company is unorganized and unprofessional. Thats why in walmart when they've messed up on advertisements the first person to buy the item gets it and when they realize it's a mistake they place an add next to the item in store explaining that they made a mistake. But once you order it at that price they have to sell it to you or they're breaking the law. If you practice good business you would understand that the customer is always right and if you don't believe this it is because your company isn't very big and one sale and custom dissatisfaction doesn't affect your company since its reputation does not matter. The OP states that he either wants the service that was advertised or his money. He is not being rude or disrespectful or threatening he just wants either A. His money or B. His service.

Get a refund and move on. Unless you can formulate a complete paragraph that has proper spelling, punctuation, and casing, I wouldn't be playing lawyer with anyone.

Just because Walmart gives you a break, that doesn't really amount to squat, doesn't mean they are legally liable to give you the break. Typos and misprints happen. It's not always false advertising. "not responsible for..."
    Last edited by TheJoker; 04-20-2011 at 09:29 AM.

I still remember years ago when Best Buy or was it Circuit City had a sale on their website where they priced the TV sets wrongly. It was suppose to be $400/unit but they made such a great mistake where it was only priced at $4.00/unit. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

In the end, they had to sell about 30 of them at $4.00. Gosh... what a HUGE LOSS. But they did honor it anyways. That's what you call real commitment to their word. No matter where it is, or what it is, they will stand true to what they advertise.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Quote Originally Posted by Killerteddy View Post
    Actually in the United States of America if someone offers a dedicated server for 20$ instead of 200$ they have to sell it otherwise its called "false advertising". How is he being a bad customer he payed for service and he wants what he payed for. Its not his fault the company is unorganized and unprofessional. Thats why in walmart when they've messed up on advertisements the first person to buy the item gets it and when they realize it's a mistake they place an add next to the item in store explaining that they made a mistake. But once you order it at that price they have to sell it to you or they're breaking the law. If you practice good business you would understand that the customer is always right and if you don't believe this it is because your company isn't very big and one sale and custom dissatisfaction doesn't affect your company since its reputation does not matter. The OP states that he either wants the service that was advertised or his money. He is not being rude or disrespectful or threatening he just wants either A. His money or B. His service.
    That's not correct. Several times NewEgg or Dell have made price mistakes, if you order it at the wrong price they will email you and let you know that it was a mistake and they are unable to fill your order.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    That's not correct. Several times NewEgg or Dell have made price mistakes, if you order it at the wrong price they will email you and let you know that it was a mistake and they are unable to fill your order.
    This also happened to me when I ordered a camping tent from Wal-Mart website for $15.00! They emailed me back saying it was a mistake and could not process the order, the real price was $59.99 . But I did ended up finding a bigger tent for the same price anyways (camping rocks!).
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    This also happened to me when I ordered a camping tent from Wal-Mart website for $15.00! They emailed me back saying it was a mistake and could not process the order, the real price was $59.99 . But I did ended up finding a bigger tent for the same price anyways (camping rocks!).
    Yep, happens all the time. In very few cases, the company will actually honor it but usually not.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Actually in the United States of America if someone offers a dedicated server for 20$ instead of 200$ they have to sell it otherwise its called "false advertising". .
    You are 100% incorrect on this. Just FYI.

"False advertising" is something else entirely.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising (not the best definition/resource, but it will suffice)

The FTC both defines and regulates this.
    They have resources for consumers at http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...mall-business/
    Last edited by kpmedia; 04-20-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added FTC link
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Besides, one difference here is offering a continuing service rather than an off-the-shelf product. You can sell (or have to in certain states) the product with the wrong price then sell subsequently at the intended price, but you can't necessarily keep maintaining a service at the wrong price.

To the OP: if Hostek allowed you to purchase that reseller hosting at the wrong price, unfortunately they don't necessarily have to maintain that in the long run if they feel it's a "losing proposition" to them. But see if you can get your money back at least, and good luck with your next host.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleeyes View Post
    I feel so strongly about this subject I actually just made an account here just to put my point accross.

Ok so I am searching the internet for a cheap windows reseller account, Google i used.

I came accross this website

reseller-hosting-asp.com/hosting.html hosted by and owned by hostek.com.

The page clearly says "Reseller Hosting ASP"

Followed by a package and a price per month, the order button goes to hostek.com.

I signed up thinking I was getting a Windows Reseller Account, but actually it turns out its web hosting account.

I contacted the sales people on their website and they said its an old webpage that does not really get used anymore.

But my argument is your advertising a service for a price. And I expect to receive that service you are advertising weather it be wrong or not.

Now, was this a con or fraud? I don't know but if a company has made a mistake they should stand by that and put it right.

No they have my money, my personal details but no account.

So based on my experience KEEP CLEAR ITS A CON!!!

My Chat Log With hostek.com

Ryan Jones: I have just signed up for what was described as a windows reseller account, and now it says windows web hosting, I was to confirm I am getting a windows reseller account

You are now speaking with William S. of Sales.

William S.: Hello

William S.: What domain is this regarding?

Ryan Jones: *****.com

Ryan Jones: Reseller Hosting ASP
    Windows Hosting Space Traffic Cost Domains Order
    Windows Unlimited unlimited* unlimited* $9.95
    month unlimited*

Ryan Jones:

William S.: What is the url that you saw it say it was a reseller account?

Ryan Jones: reseller-hosting-asp.com/hosting.html

Ryan Jones: seems to be one of your sites on the whois

William S.: The unlimited is just a regular hosting account

William S.: I will need to check with one of my admins on this as this is not our main site

Ryan Jones: then why does it say "Reseller Hosting ASP" "Domains Unlimited"

William S.: There is a star next to unlimited that goes to our terms of service about the unlimited hostek.com/tos.asp#unlimited

Ryan Jones: Well i'm not happy, Iv been tricked into signing up for something thats advertised as a reseller account , But being sold as a web hosting account. Thats fraudulent, yes it goes to a terms and conditions, it does not say its NOT a reseller account but the webpage does say its a reseller account and thats what i expect

William S.: My admin is in a meeting right now

William S.: I can get your information and get back to you as soon as they get back

Ryan Jones: and how long will this be, I feel like iv been cheated. I signup for something in good faith , only to find out i have been lied to. Is this how you normally run a business. ?? I want what i have signed up for at the price stated. Or i'm going to expose your underhand selling tricks on WHT & Digital point, IM FUMING

William S.: I apologize for the confusion this site is not our main site and we very rarely get orders from this site and this was a complete mistake

Ryan Jones: and yet its been sat their since 2010-10-07

William S.: the part that says "Reseller Hosting ASP" is just a title on the page

Ryan Jones: implying its a reseller accout...

William S.: The actual plan type is inside of that box where it says windows hosting

Ryan Jones: meaning its based on windows hosting, it still says reseller hosting

William S.: Here is a link to our actual ASP reseller accounts hostek.com/hosting/windows/unlimited-domains-asp.net-reseller-hosting.asp?src=search

William S.: We may be able to offer you a discount but it is highly unlikely that we will be able to setup a reseller account for you for the same price as the unlimited plan

William S.: This page reseller-hosting-asp.com/hosting.html also list coldfusion and linux plans but they are also not reseller plans

Ryan Jones: Yes i have looked at them, But i didnt signup to that, I signed up to what has been advertised, and i'm entitled to receive what's been advertised. If this is a mistake then fine, But you should take responsibility for your mistakes and actions, by doing the right thing and honoring whats advertised. And if they are not reseller plans why do the keywords reflect reseller hosting and not shared hosting account. And again why does the page say reseller hosting

Ryan Jones: i understand its not YOUR mistake, but still its the companys mistake and they should own up

Ryan Jones: ?

William S.: I apologize I was calling my admin about this

William S.: He let me know that the keywords were being pulled dynamically based on the domain name and that there is not any intentional misleading going on

William S.: I can offer you a month free on our reseller plans at the link that I sent you earlier

Ryan Jones: and the following months at the price advertised. You can't expect me to pay more, I have already signed up for what was advertised as a reseller account.

Ryan Jones: i would get a month free anyway as per the coupon on your website, so really you are not giving me anything

William S.: I apologize we were not advertising our reseller plans we were advertising our unlimited plan which in our terms of service say cannot be used as a reseller account

Ryan Jones: yes and thats fine, But you have advertised it as a reseller account and a reseller account is a reseller account

Your party has left this session.

So they just left the chat....

Anyone have any advice, I have a paypal claim in now
    Sounds like you didn't understand what you were ordering, there was a small mistake in the title on the page, and you are expecting the world in return. As a host, I would apologize for the error, give it to you for the first month at the price you paid, then MAYBE a discount on future months if you were less rude and confrontational.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

in the uk it's not an advertised price is an "invitation to treat" (an advert the item is for sale and you can try and bargain on the price) so with that in mind a wrong price is a wrong price, there is however somewhere in contracts law that the deal is done once the money is taken from the customers account and they have a reciept (i think).

i remeber kodak being hit by this they sold a 100 pound camera for something stupid like 20 with free delivery people jumped on the deal and kodaks payement gateway took money from the account and sent a recipt for payement of goods, kodak realised the mistake tried to withdraw and refund everyone but got stung somewhere and had to deliver the camera and take the loss.

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

Not the entire truth

This customer actually had not paid the invoice when I had told him that that was not a reseller plan and only paid it after I had mentioned it had not been paid.

Not only that but we also told him we were going to refund this and he immediately opened a dispute with paypal.

Here is the rest of the chat that he left off on his post

Ryan Jones (11:32:04 am) : yes and thats fine, But you have advertised it as a reseller account and a reseller account is a reseller account

William S. (11:32:06 am) : I show that your invoice has not been paid yet so we can cancel your order if you want us to

Ryan Jones (11:33:57 am) : oh no no its fine, i have paid it now and i expect to receive my reseller account login details

William S. (11:37:19 am) : that is fine we can just refund that amount back to you

William S. (11:37:37 am) : we will not be able to give you a reseller plan at that price

William S. (11:37:43 am) : we have not setup your order yet

Ryan Jones (11:39:19 am) : yes you can, and if you do i am going to tell everyone the tactics you are using to trick and con people into paying for a service that does not exist at the price advertised. And actually if you want to get all legal, You have offered me a service, and i have decided to take that offer up, By me paying for that service we enter into a contract, and your legal obligation is to provide me with that service , unless I DECIDE to cancell or i break your TOS

William S. (11:39:56 am) : I told you the correct information before you decided to pay the invoice

William S. (11:40:07 am) : You only paid it after I mentioned that it had not been paid

Ryan Jones (11:41:32 am) : yes but the page is still active, the invoice was still open for payment. I have copied this entire conversation, screen shotted the website you conned me into using. copied my paypal receipt and your invoice and im going to now post on WHT and Digital point what i have found. I will wait here and give you the link once i have done.

Ryan Jones (11:47:48 am) : is this hosting account windows or linux?

William S. (11:48:33 am) : Sir... We can cancel your account and will refund any payment for you today. We will confirm when this is completed.

William S. (11:49:09 am) : We will email you when complete. Have a good day.

Your party has left this session. (11:49:22 am)

Hmmmm.... It seems to me like this "customer" is trying to con the web hosting company, not the other way around.

Yup. And this looks to be one of those 1-2 post wonders.

Carry on.

From my point of view both the client and the company seem like they are trying to scam each other. You have to be wary of people like this.

your clueless every company has a right to refund an order and deliver nothing to the customer in the case of an error.

Its a right suggestion. If paypal also refuse to refund then immediately request charge back to your bank (if paid by credit or debit card).

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    Mistakes happen. Did you ask for a quick refund of the Paypal amount? Usually that's the best course of action, and its really all that you are legally entitled to.

The vendor does not (legally) have to provide the service to you at the price cited on the erroneous web page. Its evidently an error on the "Title" meta tag on the page. Its easy to see how you would think its a reseller account, but I'm guessing the description of the plan and the linked TOS were for a different plan. Its easy to see how that kind of mistake could be made.

It would be a nice gesture if they extended the reseller service to you at that price for a while.

I dont see any accountability from their company nor they made their pages professional. You should have done some research before or asked their support regarding this (if something is too cheap better esquire before you signup for it) it may prevented this scam.
    HostGuts.com Professional Web Hosting Services
    Shared, Managed Wordpress Hosting, Semi Dedicated Hosting
    LiteSpeed + CloudLinux + RAID Storage + R1Soft Secured