Advice for selling domain - new to this

Hello. My good friend owns XX.net and wants me to help her sell it. The XX is replacing the actual two letters of the domain name since she wants some discretion while doing this research -- it is two letters and not some crazy letter number combo.

I've done some initial research on how to do this, but still need some advice/guidance. Below is the Status taken from the whois record.

It says, 'clientTransferProhibited', but as I understand it, we just need to go into our admin tools and unlock this or call and have this unlocked before we sell this. This is more of a safety feature to protect against hacked e-mail accounts and what not. If I am incorrect, please let me know why and how I can have the status changed.

Additional questions:

1) What is the best way to get this appraised and who is the best company to do this?

2) How should we market this? Should we use a broker and pay their fee, or would we be better off selling this on our own and using an escrow for the transaction?

3) Once this is sold, how do we actually transfer it?

4) Finally, do you think we will get a nice amount of money for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Eric!

1. Try submit domain name via: Sedo.com, Moniker.com, etc.
    2. It depends from how much domain cost.. If it's premium letters, try to sell via brokerage.
    3. Use escrow service.
    4. Depends of those two letters
    dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm - check regular prices here

I agree with SupD, but if you do not want to sell it via Sedo or other domain selling markets, try to find a customer and negociate a price with him (there are a lot of people interested in XX domains, believe me).

Thanks for the advice thus far.

So the fact that it is a .NET instead of a .COM will not hurt too much?

I suggest you have a poke around at namepros.com if you want to learn more about the whole process.
    cPanel, CloudLinux, Softaculous ℵ Off Site Backups, Redundant DNS

xx.com will definitely be a six or seven figure sale for good letter combo. xx.net you can expect a five or six figure sale for a good letter combo. Although I didn't think there were any good letter combos left.
    Signature Under Construction.

Another thing you may want to think about doing is parking the domain and trying to build some extra traffic to the site. One of the things that builds value in a domain is the existing traffic. I usually use whypark.com for my domains. There pages look nice and their ppc isn't too bad. You can also list the domain is for sale on the parked page. For instance one of my sites airsoftop.com. I get great traffic and it is one of the best looking parked pages I have seen.

These forums could be good pretty good marketplace for you:
    namepros
    domainnews
    dnforums
    Good luck

there is number of websites available on the net who is providing these types of services. But if you want to sell these types of websites then you should make your own website and sell directly, by this way you can save a lot. For payment you can use escrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTerp View Post
    Hello. My good friend owns XX.net and wants me to help her sell it. The XX is replacing the actual two letters of the domain name since she wants some discretion while doing this research -- it is two letters and not some crazy letter number combo.

I've done some initial research on how to do this, but still need some advice/guidance. Below is the Status taken from the whois record.

It says, 'clientTransferProhibited', but as I understand it, we just need to go into our admin tools and unlock this or call and have this unlocked before we sell this. This is more of a safety feature to protect against hacked e-mail accounts and what not. If I am incorrect, please let me know why and how I can have the status changed.

Additional questions:

1) What is the best way to get this appraised and who is the best company to do this?

2) How should we market this? Should we use a broker and pay their fee, or would we be better off selling this on our own and using an escrow for the transaction?

3) Once this is sold, how do we actually transfer it?

4) Finally, do you think we will get a nice amount of money for this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I really don’t think someone new to domains should sell a domain themselves especially a high priced one.

Better off using someone like Sedo IMO.

I was given the ok for this....

Is SC a good-letter combo?

it's not the best time to sell such domain name

Quote Originally Posted by SupD View Post
    it's not the best time to sell such domain name
    Just curious...any reason why?

The domain market is in a slump. There is worry about new extensions. For eg I just gave a list of L-L.info to someone an hour ago and not that long ago there is no way you could hand reg them.

I have hand regged LLL.biz recently once again normally there is no way you could do that.

Ok....so she should wait to sell SC.net until a later time?

Any indicator that I could follow that would let me know when the time is right?

Personally I would wait.

Or as I posted above ask for advice at namepros.com. There is even a section there where you can ask for offers.

Namepros.com said that since I do not own the site, that I cannot post anything about it (even though I have a special power of attorney from the owner stating that I can conduct all business on her-behalf).

I'll see if I can find a way around that I guess!

That would be to help cut down on fraud. I would try talking to a mod at http://www.namepros.com/ask-a-moderator/ .

I did....I explained the situation and she basically said "sorry, that's our policy" and then deleted all of my posts. I guess legal documents that are notarized don't really matter on the Interwebs.

Gee that sucks, I thought they would have been a bit more understanding that.

Yeah me too. I even offered to scan the document with proof of my identity. No go.

I recommend these sites for selling a domain
    WebHostingTalk
    Sedo
    NamePros
    SnapNames

Sedo would be my choice for making a high value domain sale.
    Last edited by stub; 04-21-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Yes it is. I'd use only Sedo to sell a domain that good.

Almost everyone waiting for release of new market driver, such as .XXX
    2 TC, if you need some cash - sell this domain for best price, and will know market price for XX.NET, but if you don't need money at this moment - just keep domain name for a time.

I understand all of this. My question is that would the release of new extensions such as .xxx increase the numbers of available domains, which would in essence drop the value of all other available extensions on the market?

For example, if I am selling fish at a market and I am the only person offering fish - I charge what I want. In this case, the fish that I am selling is LL.net. If another person comes along that also starts selling fish, which in this case would be LL.xxx or whatever is the newest extension. I would have to charge less for my LL.net because there are now new options available for consumers to decide between.

I understand all of this. My question is that would the release of new extensions such as .xxx increase the numbers of available domains, which would in essence drop the value of all other available extensions on the market? .
    This is my opinion and I am no expert.

It is not only .xxx, soon it will be .anythingyouwant some eg maybe .nike, .ford, .coke etc etc

I think most domainers are waiting to see what happens.

XX.net holds value for the main reason it is rare to own a XX.net but when there is basically unlimited extensions it is hard to say what XX.net will be worth.

A few years ago IMO would have been the time to sell it.

Yeah that's the bad part. An offer was received several years ago and she turned it down...she thought that the XX.net would go up in value, but apparently it has done just the opposite.

Many extensions came and many will come, but a COM, NET or ORG will never lose it's shine.

So hold it till the economy is in a better shape and it will fetch a good value than what it can do now.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

I understand all of this. My question is that would the release of new extensions such as .xxx increase the numbers of available domains, which would in essence drop the value of all other available extensions on the market?

For example, if I am selling fish at a market and I am the only person offering fish - I charge what I want. In this case, the fish that I am selling is LL.net. If another person comes along that also starts selling fish, which in this case would be LL.xxx or whatever is the newest extension. I would have to charge less for my LL.net because there are now new options available for consumers to decide between.
    This is rubbish thinking. The sale of sc.xxx will have no bearing whatsoever on the price of sc.net

Yeah that's the bad part. An offer was received several years ago and she turned it down...she thought that the XX.net would go up in value, but apparently it has done just the opposite.
    So she had an offer and turned it down? Without knowing the details, I'd say that is rubbish too. The prices of a good xx.net have definitely not gone down.

Quote Originally Posted by ethix View Post
    I suggest you have a poke around at namepros.com if you want to learn more about the whole process.
    namepros is the best out of the lot.