juniper j4350 cpu upgrade

Anyone here put the p4 processor in their j4350s? The j4350's appear to be running the 2.53 celeryD while the j6350's have the p4 at 3.4 (3.6).

Wondering if anyone swapped out their j4350 cpu for another, if so, which one?

4gb ram upgrade anyone?

I've done this research and did a swap on the Celeron 2.5 with a Pentium 4 3.0 the load decreased about 20% under high testing. I've never tried the 3.6 but I'm sure another 20% would decrease under high load.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation, Dedicated Servers & VPS

Was that you who posted on cluepon.com?

Quote Originally Posted by miliscent View Post
    Was that you who posted on cluepon.com?
    Never went on that site however good find, during my testing it was about 16% but I rounded it to the 20%. I found a local dealer with a exchange policy so if it didn't work I had security I could always return it that might be a good choice if you have local shops.

I've got someone locally with 2 x j4350's for $650 each. Base models, no pims. I figure at that price why not!

What is considered a good price on the j4350's? What about a j6350?

Lets just say the power supply of the j6350 is roughly what you paid for a j4350. However depends on where your buying them and the intended use or past use of the person your buying them from. I lucked out and got similar deals.

I really don't know much about their history.

But we're looking to move from our current providers blend and obtain transit from two carriers to start with bgp full routes. We're not pushing much, avg 10mbit with peak around 40mbit. Growth is steady but slow.

Over the next several months we'd like to add on a few more providers for a total of 4-6 all fast ethernet hand offs. Our driving force is having our own AS and ip space plus having low hop count. Low hop count is important because our clients are judging us by it. Right or wrong, that's the market we're in. Our current DC providers blend adds an additional 5 hops because of route it takes coming into one facility and down to the other where we are.

I figure cluster the j4350's up with 2-4gb mem and p4s. Take full bgp routes and hopefully we'll be ok... I don't really understand how to make the cluster active/active with all carriers active..

Truth be told, I've always stuck with the DC's blend and am learning this as I go so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I only use these models for different segments of our network and they are not our border routers but they would work well for what you require a full specification sheet can be obtained Here. A good clustering site to look at would be Here. Ive never clustered them so it would be a learning experience for you but isn't that how it works .

Are you currently in a carrier neutral colocation facility with your own cabinets?

I've been all through the specs and the one repeating theme I see/hear is that they won't hold up in a dos attack. Although I did read somewhere about null routing not found routes or something. Plus working with the upstreams to mitigate it. I plan on testing this in production first.

I'll read through that link on the clustering, thank you! We currently have srx's clustered so I'm familiar with it a bit.

We have our own cabs and our facility, while not billed as "carrier neutral" will cross connect us to carrier neutral facility in the same building cheaply. They also have a few carrier pop's in there own facility which they will cross connect us to.

Right now we're looking to start with Cogent, simply because it's ridiculously cheap. A 50mbit commit on fast ethernet is $300/mo and burstable up to 100mbit.

As for the other we're considering Level3 which is considerably higher at a min 10mbit commit they want $400/mo.

XO was 10mbit commit for $800 and I nearly fell over considering their reputation.

Still waiting on pricing for ATT, Verizon, Sprint...

Cogent is cheap but they will not let you avoid their $1,000 setup fee. As far as the other providers I like Level3 and have both in my network.

Cogent is quoting us a $500 install fee for fast ethernet (1 year). They want $2,500 on the gige. I'm amazed at their price and will def be going with them.

Looking to do the same thing did you end up doing it?

Also care to pass on the contact for who had them so cheap?

Finally you might want a requote from Cogent since I've heard their gige port setup is waived and ~$2/mb

I did it to P4 3.8's and also tried the P4 D's but the didn't work Also upgraded the mem to 2 gig (4 x 512) plus the cf card to 2G.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 07-27-2011 at 06:19 AM.

the J series is nothing more than a glorified vyatta box. Leave it to die and don't touch it.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net