Wordpress and Wildcard DNS

Got a brand new dedicated server through softlayer.

Want to set up a single Wordpress multisite install that allows users to map their domain to their blog. Have everything working fine except the automated process of either auto adding the parked domain on top of the root domain or through some other wildcard DNS process involving (i think) changing NAMED or BIND.

Try as we might, we cannot get it to work. Annoying, were told its a fairly straightforward process and we did in fact have it working previously on another server - however this was set up by one of our technicians who no longer works at the company. Very frustrating month.

If anyone can help or knows how to help, Id be eternally grateful. Im also very happy to hand over the SSL / Cpanel login to the server to get this set up and pay for the privledge.

Please. Anyone.

I should note, this is to allow customers to map their own domain to their own blog hosted by us, similar to how wordpress.com provides with their paid domain mapping feature.

A quick Google for "bind wildcard dns" turns up this - looks like the sort of setup you need. Your nameservers should be authoritative for any domain pointed at them.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

thanks for that foobic, have passed that onto my tech guys - hopefully the answer.

answer back is, were already using that very script but calling it fakeroot instead of blackhole -

We have got it to the stage where we have a test domain parked using the nameservers of the server, if it is parked in cpanel it resolves as it should to its wordpress blog and the domain mapping plugin prints the correct URL (i.e. the domain) in the address bar.

However, using the fakeroot and without the domain being parked in cpanel, it appears to partially work as the server resolves enquires for that domain to the server IP, however all that ever gets printed is an apache default page.

If we edit this line in httpd.conf - from /usr/local/apache/htdocs to home/press/public_html it goes from showing the apache default page to a 500 internal server error.

Its so annoying as we had the exact same script working before yet on another server, we copied the files across yet it wont work.

Do any of you server gurus out there have any idea if its a server config issue or are we missing something?

So the problem isn't DNS - it's Apache config. You can trace the 500 error through the error logs but it's probably caused by not having the correct setup for the "press" user in the main httpd.conf. You could try copying it from the virtualhost config but ultimately as you try to tweak these things you may end up fighting with cPanel. I'd suggest installing your WP-MU in place of the Apache default page or just ditching cPanel altogether for this usage - hopefully you don't have other shared users on the same server...?
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Hi, and yes, no other users, this server is solely for this site. One thing, Im a n00b myself and everyone else has bailed, but looking at our vHosts file:

<VirtualHost xxx.xx.x.xxx:80>
    ServerName dp1.sitename.net
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
    ServerAdmin [email protected]
    <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_UserGroup nobody nobody
    </IfModule>
    </VirtualHost>

# Default vhost for unbound IPs

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName dp1.sitename.net
    DocumentRoot /home/press/public_html
    ServerAdmin [email protected]
    <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
    suPHP_UserGroup nobody nobody
    </IfModule>
    </VirtualHost>

I dont see:

ServerAlias *.sitename.net

could it be as simple as this exclusion?

Thanks again for the help.

I doubt it. ServerAlias is a way of catching additional domain names to be handled by the vhost. Since this is the default vhost it should catch all names anyway.

The error log should give you the information you need.
    Chris

Still not solved the issue, does anyone know where I can employ paid help to fix this for me??

You're welcome to post a request in the ad forums, or I can move this thread there if you prefer. Perhaps here would be the place.

thanks mate, please feel free to move it for me and apologies for not posting it there in the 1st instance

With cpanel you can literally add a "*" subdomain to the domain and it will create the necessary dns and httpd.conf entries.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

excuse my ignorance, but how do you do that? Not, "how do i park a sub domain" but how do you do as you suggest, my cpanel wont allow me to park something that isnt a real domain with appropriate extension.

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingteddy View Post
    my cpanel wont allow me to park something that isnt a real domain with appropriate extension.
    And you can uncheck that option in WHM under Tweak Settings I believe.