Thread: Unique Resume..

Unique Resume..

I know the normal word document resumes, etc...

Have you ever thought about creating a unique colored/graphic oriented resume? I'm talking stylized with great detail, and graphics, and not the normal text documents..

I'm just shelling an idea out there..

If you had someone whos resume was a bright red bordered with black text perfect to read would you really just dump it? Or would you think hmm.. maybe this one is creative...

Depends on the type of job. Some listings specifically invite people to be creative.

If i had someone apply for a job with that, it would really spark my interest because it would seem like a fun person to work with

It depends on the job. There are other things to stand out when being selected for a possible posistion. Also, NEVER FORGET to send a Thank You to the person you talked to. It goes a long way to being remembered and higher chance of getting the job.

I did not try a colored/graphic oriented resume but tried unique resume by using stylish font and size. I always prefer to white resume with black font text.

It wouldn't appeal to me as an employer and would make me assume you where a 13 year old - but that's just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by SercoNetworks View Post
    It wouldn't appeal to me as an employer and would make me assume you where a 13 year old - but that's just my opinion!

Just asking.. If thats the case then why do websites, brochures etc.. have graphics, nice borders, neat text? I mean if you only need the stripped down text why have anything but text?

I'm just saying..

If you are going for some kind of artistic or creative position it may be appropriate to do a creative resume. However I would have a normal resume on hand as well just in case.
    Andy Salazar - Steadfast Networks: Cloud, Dedicated and Colocation
    Email: andy.salazar @steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    DC Locations: 350 E Cermak, 725 S Wells Chicago IL and Edison NJ

There are ways to make resumes catch the eye, format-wise, without colors, borders, etc. That said, I think the folks above me really nailed it on the head, in that it would depend heavily on what you're applying for. I think, generally, you would want it to look as professional as possible and, as always, follow-up is paramount...perhaps just as important as the resume itself.

For a resume the content is far more important than the delivery method. It's really what it says that matters, and not how it says it.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by bluemer View Post
    Just asking.. If thats the case then why do websites, brochures etc.. have graphics, nice borders, neat text? I mean if you only need the stripped down text why have anything but text?

I'm just saying..
    Not sure what you mean by this. A resume is a formal document (not a website or brochure), you don't see other formal documents (solicitors letters or accountants letters for example) in fun fonts/colors

If it is for an art-related work like web designing, then the look and feel is ok. But for other jobs, I think the content is far more important.

Also, as SercoNetworks said, it is a formal document and is supposed to look formal.

its a clear indication of creativeness.
    I know the normal word document resumes, etc...

Have you ever thought about creating a unique colored/graphic oriented resume? I'm talking stylized with great detail, and graphics, and not the normal text documents..

I'm just shelling an idea out there..

If you had someone whos resume was a bright red bordered with black text perfect to read would you really just dump it? Or would you think hmm.. maybe this one is creative...

They have some nice resume web templates on themeforest. I use my web site as a resume, much easier than emailing a PDF back and forth.

The thing that kind of made me think of this is salesmen go into stores, and businesses with nice brochures of products, etc.. I was thinking well them hiring me is sort of me selling myself..

I'm not only talking black border, etc.. I mean just little graphics.. maybe I'll make a sample layout later..

http://edricksmith.com/EdrickSmithGeneral.pdf

So to answer your question, yes, yes I have.
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• C47 Hosting LLC | Media Centric High Demand Web Services •••

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Smith View Post
    http://edricksmith.com/EdrickSmithGeneral.pdf

So to answer your question, yes, yes I have.

Awesome! How did your employer take it? Were they impressed? Was they surprised? Did they notice, or say anything about it?

Awesome! How did your employer take it? Were they impressed? Was they surprised? Did they notice, or say anything about it?
    They absolutely loved it, then again I work in the creative field. When I gave the VP my business card he said "I'm embarrassed to give you one of mine" then we laughed. The resume does work wonders though I've shown it to multiple clients and it's always a winner. Basically what I've done is actually brand my self. I have my website, resume, business cards, and a few other print items (including my online demo reel) that all follow my branding. I've actually now created an actual company out of it for free lance work.
    ••• Edrick Smith •••
    ••• C47 Hosting LLC | Media Centric High Demand Web Services •••

It depends on the output. How does it look? Does it look like professional or not? It is really better to have a unique resume but you must consider many things on making it colorful. The important thing here is "It must still look professional".

yes a long time i have seen a digital resume
    it was too good itwas for technical person