Being a Remote Systemadminstrator

Hi,

I had posted a similar thread a while ago, but it didn't get anythings out of it.
    So I'm a collegestudent and I want to work parttime as a remote-systemadminstrator.
    I have good Linux and Network knowledge.
    Probably I want to found my own company.

I'm thinking of something like this:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1039264

Probably you could give me some hints on how to start?

kind regards,

epsilonsys

One word "Availability". If you are not available to handle client requests during normal business hours + extended evening hours (on call), then this probably isn't for you. Right now at least.

I'd suggest finding a part time job for a company that offers these types of services. Learn the in's and out's of the business, what works and what doesn't. Then when the time is right, put your plan into action.

I'd say go fot it. Decide on what tasks you are able to take on and stick to those tasks. Don't try to take on things beyond your knowledge.

Place an ad, give a fixed price where possible, and sign up with PayPal to take payment.

No need to set up a company initially, you should be able to tell the taxman that it's self-employed income, but double check this.

Go the extra mile for every job you get and you will find people come back and recommend you also.
    SysAdminMan - Asterisk PBX hosting - FreePBX, A2Billing and Elastix

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    One word "Availability". If you are not available to handle client requests during normal business hours + extended evening hours (on call), then this probably isn't for you. Right now at least.
    With systems admins, there needs to be a lot of flexibility regarding 'normal business hours' and 'availability', honestly.

Can you do it? The question isn't 'can you do it', but are you qualified to do so. There's a million and one admins out there, hell, anyone with cpanel/WHM experience calls themselves a "systems admin" any more. Can you walk the walk, or do you just wanna talk about it?

Being a systems admin means being woken up at 4am, it means being up 24+ hours working on grueling tasks, and getting paid crap for it. It means repeating yourself over and over again, having clients ignore you over and over again. It means having to deal with clients that think they know it all just because they read a book, and insist on their way of doing things, which is wrong. It means dealing with cheap offshore competition who'll screw up a server faster than anything, but the client wants to use them, because they're "cheaper".

Being a systems admin isn't easy. There's a LOT of work involved, you have to constantly expand your knowledge (on your own time), you have to give up any hint of a life pretty much. It's a neverending process. I wouldn't advise it unless you're 100% dedicated to the task.

BTW:
    I am a systems admin. If it sounds like I hate the job, I don't. I thrive on night hours, I live for the challenge of things gone wrong and solving them, I have no problem telling a client (or anyone) off, and mine know it. If you can find a way to survive, go for it, just make damn sure it's the life you want to live, especially as an online admin

No need to set up a company initially, you should be able to tell the taxman that it's self-employed income, but double check this.
    This depends a lot on where you're located. In some countries you have to register in some form, even if you don't setup a company. When self employed you're liable personally for all that goes wrong, which is often a valid extra reason to start a company.

I would definitely discuss all options with an accountant first.

If you go for the full or part time employee thing, things are probably going to be simpler tax wise.

Quote Originally Posted by epsilonsys View Post
    I had posted a similar thread a while ago, but it didn't get anythings out of it.
    There is sometimes work on vworker.com, elance, odesk, freelancer, and other such sites. They're dominated by people looking for development work, but sometimes there's SA work.

The only problem there is that you're competing with offshore pricing (people like you who'll work for $1/hr).

Another sometimes overlooked option looking for/offering services on Craigslist.