Thread: Report abuse?

Report abuse?

Is there any use of reporting abuse (port scanning, spam, intrusion attempts...)?

Each day I receive hundreds of emails from my servers with abuse informations.
    To report or not report?

Till now I did report only couple of IP's whose owners were very persistent.
    I must say that I was impressed with the Hetzner (their client owned one of the reported IP), they were very professional & reacted immediately. They really take abuse seriously.
    Other IP owners never responded, so I don't know is there any use of reports that I send.

Would like to hear other opinions.

No one reports abuse? I am the only one? Black sheep

You can look up the information on each IP, the appropriate abuse@ and other network contacts, and send out reports but it's generally too time consuming with too little reward.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Hi Mike,
    yes I know that and that is what I do when someone repeatedly "abuse" our server. But I don't know is there any use of reporting, since only two IP owners responded to my report (Hetzner & Amazon).

Check here, I think this will be helpful http://lifehacker.com/#!5632059/how-...friendly-email

Quote Originally Posted by ZoDiac9797 View Post
    Hi Mike,
    yes I know that and that is what I do when someone repeatedly "abuse" our server. But I don't know is there any use of reporting, since only two IP owners responded to my report (Hetzner & Amazon).
    We've had some problems in the last few days from our company dealing with someone mass spamming emails, and DDOSing the Servers. Contacted Hetzner right away and they was on it in a heart beat.

IP should be reported or logged when you are not sure or if they aren't from your servers or company. But the correct thing would be to report them. You can't go wrong when reporting something your getting. If only two owners responded, then you will need to make the choice of possibly banning the others. That's a bit extreme but it would stop the abuse. The choice is up to you however.

Good Luck
    ██ J.Mike Duff -http://www.cheetahhost.net
    ██ Dedicated/Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting
    ██ Web Hosting, Money Back Guarantee! 100% Uptime Guaranteed! 24x7 online Support.
    ██ Gone Green 100% Powered Source CheetahHost LLC.,