Secured Servers 1 Month Review

I am a long time reader of these forums and have frequently sought advice and reviews for service providers so I feel it is my time to give back what I can. About 1 month has passed since I decided to move my hosting services from ThePlanet/Softlayer to Secured Servers due to growing hardware requirements but a non growing budget. I had been with TP for nearly 10 years so this was not an easy move, nor an easy decision for me to make.

For those unwilling to read beyond the first couple paragraphs of a post, I am a very happy customer. My first point of advice for anybody seeking hosting, get a quote from a sales rep, don't just blindly order off the website. It will be worth your while

I ordered a Quad Core Xeon with 16GB RAM sometime mid afternoon EST on March 16th. The server was provisioned and available by 8AM on the 17th, well within the self imposed 24 hour provision time. I requested an unsupported OS install of VMWare ESXi. I was provided a Lantronix KVM over IP unit and an OS install disk to perform the setup myself. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the machine to boot and had to create a ticket. After 45 minutes (yes 45) I received a response to my ticket, and a technician began looking into the issue. It turns out that an installation CD had not been inserted into the CD drive. Ooops! Fortunately the tech was able to resolve the situation and I was well on my way.

During the installation I began performing several network benchmarks while transferring OS ISOs from my old dedicated machine. I was surprised to see that there is a hard 20mbps limit somewhere between TP/SL and SS over L3. I immediately started testing bandwidth using other providers and found that this was an isolated problem, I was in fact getting my 100mbps transfer, so no big deal.

Within two or three days I had everything online and submitted a ticket to create multiple PTR records. It took ~45 minutes to get a response, but once a tech did respond to the ticket the records were created immediately.

Over the last month I have had 100% uptime with no issues on the SS network itself. My transfer speeds are excellent. Tally up another happy customer here. As others have stated, you may sacrifice some support response time to get better prices, to me that is not a worry as I rarely require support. IMO this is a top notch provider, if you are experienced enough to run your servers without any substantial support requirements, I would definitely recommend them to you.

Please feel free to follow up with specific questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability from a customer POV.

Thank you for the review. We are also considering placing an order with Secured Servers.

You mentioned that you had 2 tickets, each taking 45 minutes to be responded to. This does seem a little too long.

Although you may rarely require support (neither do we), what happens if a server was to go down? That is an extra 45 minutes of unnecessary downtime right there.

Also, on the Secured Servers website, it is clearly stated in the blue Guarantees banner that ticket response time is 20 minutes (which is already rather long, to be honest).

Hopefully someone from Secured Servers can clarify these issues.
    Last edited by transmit; 04-17-2011 at 01:18 PM.

You are absolutely correct. If my server had been production ready and those tickets were for an outage I would not have been happy at all.

I've been with SecuredServers for 7 months now, since 11/03/2010. Personally they are the best host I've ever been with, and I've hosted at quite a few places including The Planet, AmeriNOC, ServerPronto, FDCServers,, and others.

Ticket times are very reasonable. For updating rdns I've had response times of 10-80 minutes, which is fine by me since it's a low priority ticket IMHO.

I posted a "Host Unreachable" ticket on 4/12/2011 at 9:16 and received a reply 26 seconds later. This was the first unplanned outage I've seen in my 7 months.

On 11/04 while I was setting up my server I had an issue and received a response in 6 minutes.

The techs are American, everyone is very friendly, and I'm very happy with the technical aspects.

Thanks for the insight regarding your ticket response times. I am definitely ok with them prioritizing tickets which is what it sounds like may happen. Neither of the two I have submitted have been mission critical by any means.

@ DeusingMono and lothos,

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. And glad to see that you are having a positive experience. It seems that they surely know what they are doing and are very caring to their customers. Follow up the review in future.

Anybody using the Dual Core G6950 (2 x 2.8 GHZ, 3MB Cache)? Is that good enough for a couple of WordPress blogs or maybe Joomla, with 2GB RAM? The price is right. Thanks.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Anybody using the Dual Core G6950 (2 x 2.8 GHZ, 3MB Cache)? Is that good enough for a couple of WordPress blogs or maybe Joomla, with 2GB RAM? The price is right. Thanks.
    Unless you have crazy amounts of traffic, that machine will handle the load just fine.

OK, Thanks.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.