Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Hawk Host - Is it me or the server?

Greetings All,

First of, I would like to say that I have been with Hawk Host for about a year or so now and I must say they have been doing a pretty good job! However, I have noticed somewhat interesting lately. Every few days or so, I can't seem to access the main website (hawkhost.com) or any of my websites. I keep getting the continuous "Connecting" status and after a few minutes the connection dies. A few hours lately, the Hawk Host website and my websites are back up and running.

Has any other Hawk Host customer been experiencing the same type of problem? Can it be a problem on my end? An ISP Issue?

I am hoping to hear out from other Hawk Host clients.

Thanks,
    Jose

It is you, the site loads fine here.

Perhaps sharing a traceroute from your computer to the site may reveal something

First and foremost - open a ticket if you have not already.

It could be a lot of things, I would traceroute and ping the server first to determine if it's your internet connection or something between you and HawkHost.

If you determine that your connection to them is fine it's very possible that the server is under a high stress during an R1Soft backup period, a user generating a cPanel backup of a large account, or another similar highly intensive process that can sometimes cause issues in shared servers.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

It could be either. Do a traceroute the next time it happens.

Seems possibly like you are getting firewall blocked. I believe temp blocks last for a few hours (3 to be exact). Possibly contact them when you can't connect and ask them to check the firewall for your IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by Moogabytes View Post
    Seems possibly like you are getting firewall blocked. I believe temp blocks last for a few hours (3 to be exact). Possibly contact them when you can't connect and ask them to check the firewall for your IP address?
    A firewall block would result in "connection rejected" or an immediate connection failure and not a long delay eventually ending in a failed connection.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    A firewall block would result in "connection rejected" or an immediate connection failure and not a long delay eventually ending in a failed connection.
    Fair call...

Another good test is to try loading the site via a proxy site like hidemyass.com ( http://www.hidemyass.com ). If it loads via proxy site but it doesn't load when you visit the site directly, it's most likely because of your IP being blocked by their firewall. Mod_security could be triggering it.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Another good test is to try loading the site via a proxy site like hidemyass.com ( http://www.hidemyass.com ). If it loads via proxy site but it doesn't load when you visit the site directly, it's most likely because of your IP being blocked by their firewall. Mod_security could be triggering it.
    Like Mike said, that would result in an immediate connection refused.
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

Always look for a confirmation it's not just you/your ISP. Host-tracker.com can do that for you quite rapidly, checking if your site is loading from tens of locations around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Always look for a confirmation it's not just you/your ISP. Host-tracker.com can do that for you quite rapidly, checking if your site is loading from tens of locations around the world.
    Indeed ... host-tracker.com is one of my go-to tests when somebody reports something is down. It's nice that not only does it show you the report but you can use a permalink to show that same report to whoever you need to.

Wow. Thanks for the prompt responses guys. I'm doing a traceroute right now for one of my websites. I can't seem to connect again. I'll post the results below.

Quote Originally Posted by lakridserne View Post
    Like Mike said, that would result in an immediate connection refused.
    I know. Just letting OP know of another useful test that he can do.

1 2 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.11.1
    2 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
    3 109 ms 45 ms 40 ms 112.202.0.1.pldt.net [112.202.0.1]
    4 68 ms 53 ms 41 ms 119.93.254.209
    5 53 ms 53 ms 49 ms 124.83.5.157.pldt.net [124.83.5.157]
    6 87 ms 67 ms 56 ms 210.213.132.10.static.pldt.net [210.213.132.10]

7 52 ms 52 ms 78 ms 210.213.128.78.static.pldt.net [210.213.128.78]

8 54 ms 62 ms 56 ms 210.213.129.17.static.pldt.net [210.213.129.17]

9 70 ms 62 ms 115 ms 210.213.128.29.static.pldt.net [210.213.128.29]

10 73 ms 65 ms 53 ms 210.213.130.9.static.pldt.net [210.213.130.9]
    11 221 ms 221 ms 259 ms p16-0-1-3.r20.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.25
    .12.105]
    12 276 ms 225 ms 245 ms ae-0.r21.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.9
    ]
    13 266 ms 265 ms 307 ms ae-5.r21.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.2
    ]
    14 324 ms 279 ms 280 ms ae-5.r07.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.1
    4]
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 *

Looks like it could be a routing issue, you should put in a ticket if you haven't. Provide them the full trace-route, your IP address, and a ping -n 100 (or ping -c 100) to the IP address/domain.

I know. Just letting OP know of another useful test that he can do.
    Okay. I didn't know if you was aware of it. Also, you can check if it's down on http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com
    Serverfruit - awesome cPanel hosting!
    Bacon forever!

And here's a report from Host Tracker:
    http://host-tracker.com/check_res_ajx/7048714-0/

It looks like my domain techdron.com can't be resolved by some servers. Any thoughts on this?

And thanks for the answers Mike!

Okay. I didn't know if you was aware of it. Also, you can check if it's down on http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com
    I prefer host-tracker.com myself as it's much more comprehensive.

Looks like it could be a routing issue, you should put in a ticket if you haven't. Provide them the full trace-route, your IP address, and a ping -n 100 (or ping -c 100) to the IP address/domain.
    I can't seem to file a ticket as I can't seem to access www.hawkhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by SilencerX View Post
    I can't seem to file a ticket as I can't seem to access www.hawkhost.com
    That would definitely indicate a routing issue between you and them as hawkhost.com is loading fine. You should try emailing support [at] hawkhost.com. It does appear to be within the network border at SoftLayer but since HH is your provider they'll have to be the ones to contact the NOC.

That would definitely indicate a routing issue between you and them as hawkhost.com is loading fine. You should try emailing support [at] hawkhost.com. It does appear to be within the network border at SoftLayer but since HH is your provider they'll have to be the ones to contact the NOC.
    What do you mean by a routing issue? Does it have something to do with my ISP?

Thanks.

What do you mean by a routing issue? Does it have something to do with my ISP?

Thanks.
    Routing as in your traceroute doesn't make it to the server, it seems to be failing out inside of the network border. You'll need to get that traceroute as well as a ping summary of 100+ pings to their support department. Even if you can't reach their site, you should still be able to email them at support [at] hawkhost.com. You can use something like gmail/yahoo/msn mail - just make sure to reference your domain name and the email address they have on file for you.

I found sites like downforeveryoneorjustme.com give wrong info half the time. That's why I started using proxy sites hidemyass.com. Also intodns.com is very good too.

I found sites like downforeveryoneorjustme.com give wrong info half the time. That's why I started using proxy sites hidemyass.com. Also intodns.com is very good too.
    All they essentially do is pull the HTTP headers and look for a response code of 200 (or not).

Routing as in your traceroute doesn't make it to the server, it seems to be failing out inside of the network border. You'll need to get that traceroute as well as a ping summary of 100+ pings to their support department. Even if you can't reach their site, you should still be able to email them at support [at] hawkhost.com. You can use something like gmail/yahoo/msn mail - just make sure to reference your domain name and the email address they have on file for you.
    Thank you again for the prompt response Mike. From my understanding, it's not a problem with my ISP, right?

All they essentially do is pull the HTTP headers and look for a response code of 200 (or not).
    I know. I found downforeveryoneorjustme.com gave a lot of false positives. That's why I started using the other sites.

Thank you again for the prompt response Mike. From my understanding, it's not a problem with my ISP, right?
    No, it's an issue on the other end of the connection - it could be right outside of SL's border, at SL's border, or just inside. Even if it's not in their border it's close enough that they should be able to get with the right people to get it fixed.

On the positive side, these sort of issues tend to clear themselves up fairly quickly.

No, it's an issue on the other end of the connection - it could be right outside of SL's border, at SL's border, or just inside. Even if it's not in their border it's close enough that they should be able to get with the right people to get it fixed.

On the positive side, these sort of issues tend to clear themselves up fairly quickly.
    Well, I have noticed that I had this ON and OFF issue for the past few weeks already. I already contacted Hawk Host's support, however, they merely said that there was no downtime on their end. Perhaps, I didn't explain myself well in my support ticket.

Well, I have noticed that I had this ON and OFF issue for the past few weeks already. I already contacted Hawk Host's support, however, they merely said that there was no downtime on their end. Perhaps, I didn't explain myself well in my support ticket.
    A traceroute and some pings would definitely go a long way towards them being able to identify an issue.

Yeah, like Mike said, the network is most likely congested. It can just clear overnight.

Edit: also try rebooting your router as it may pick up a better route.

Have you tried reseting your router and/or modem? This fixes any connection problems I have about 99% of the time.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

I just went to Host-Tracker and checked one of our corporate sites we're beginning to have some problems with lately. It's hosted with one of the older and larger hosting companies.

I've talked to their support on the phone a couple of times but after checking it today on Host-Tracker I have a couple of questions.

On the Ping test it had all failures, on the Tracert test it had all errors.
    What would this indicate to us we need to find a fix for.

We checked another corporate site on another younger and smaller host and everything was just fine there.

Thanks

Yeah, like Mike said, the network is most likely congested. It can just clear overnight.
    Actually these sort of things usually clear in an hour or two if it's something like a failed/misbehaving router. If it is indeed an overly congested pipe then it may not be resolved permanently very quickly but would resolve itself and then re-occur as traffic drops and picks back up.

Edit: also try rebooting your router as it may pick up a better route.
    I don't know of any consumer routers that will actually determine routing. Your ISP would determine the outbound carrier and once it leaves your ISP's network they have little to no control over the route.

PLDT Only has two routes available. One is through Telecom Italia(Or another affiliated carrier through One of the SEA-ME-WE* cables and another is a ntt link to west coast US)

They're known for horrid routes, so well, I guess it's time to give them a call, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    PLDT Only has two routes available. One is through Telecom Italia(Or another affiliated carrier through One of the SEA-ME-WE* cables and another is a ntt link to west coast US)

They're known for horrid routes, so well, I guess it's time to give them a call, OP.
    Not only that they have a horrid routes, they have terrible customer support. I am not even sure if they'll understand my concern. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

I don't know of any consumer routers that will actually determine routing. Your ISP would determine the outbound carrier and once it leaves your ISP's network they have little to no control over the route.
    Even HostLeet is with me on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
    Have you tried reseting your router and/or modem? This fixes any connection problems I have about 99% of the time.

Not only that they have a horrid routes, they have terrible customer support. I am not even sure if they'll understand my concern. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!
    .....lol.

Welcome to the club, I guess. My ISP's support desk didn't even know what a trace is. Only thing they know is 'Sir, please reboot your router' -_-'

Even HostLeet is with me on this one.
    Resetting your modem+router+computer is just a general good idea when you're having general internet issues. I wouldn't generally take those steps if you're only having trouble connecting to a single facility and a traceroute shows evident issues on the other end of the route

But hey, what do I know?

I would look into if you got on a blacklist as some host do this for a lot of file transfer, for security. But if that is not it your DNS. Might be screwed up.
    Best of luck.

I would look up how to renew your dns through the terminal, or CMD.

It's most definitely a routing issue and nothing to do with blocks or anything of that nature. Our website runs of it's own set of servers so if it's down as well it's not any firewall block. You'll want to make a ticket if you have not already.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast