10mbps fdcservers server. Server becomes unresponsive during full speed downloads

I recently purchased a core2quad Q8300 64 bit Centos/cpanel server from fdcservers. It is 10mbps unmetered. If I perform a single download at close to full speed 700KB/sec +, either using wget directly via ssh, or downloading from my home connection, it becomes completely unresponsive, 100% packet loss until the transfer is finished. the ssh session will hang after about 15-20 secs, then the rest of the transfer will flash up all at once, and ssh will respond again.

I have already had them change the NIC and it's still doing the same thing. Is there anything else I can check?

Yup. Leave fdc is step. 1

Is it some kind of traffic shaping that causes it? I dunno, if the bandwidth was worth a crap, I'd stay. I paid for relatively slow dual core, and ended up with a core2quad Q8800. They don't even offer that particular server on the site, so I'm wondering if maybe it was someones buggy ex colo server or something.
    Last edited by imgcritter; 04-17-2011 at 05:20 AM.

700KBps is only 5.6mbit, that means 4.4mbit is still missing at that point. This happens before you even touch 1250KBps?

Maybe your hard drive is failing?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    700KBps is only 5.6mbit, that means 4.4mbit is still missing at that point. This happens before you even touch 1250KBps?
    I can only hit 1250KBPS downloading over the internet (from home connection). The 1 download goes at full speed, and doesn't hang. The rest of the server goes to 100% packet loss. wget usually wont go over 600-700KB/sec, it hangs intermittently, but after 20 seconds or so, the ssh session becomes unresponsive until the download completes.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    Maybe your hard drive is failing?
    I ran unixbench-wht (received a 550+ score). hdparm -Tt /dev/sda showed 120MB/sec, and 2GB/sec burst. The drive is a seagate 7200.11 1.5TB. During the hd bench the server was not showing the same behavior, and was fully responsive.

FWIW I asked fdc to re-install on new hardware. Will see if they follow through.

FWIW I will go ahead and update. The problem was faulty hardware somewhere in the Q8300 server. They reinstalled on a Q6600, and I tested before they started installing cpanel. I tried 6 different wget tests. All eventually pegged out at 1.12MB/sec (I have a 10mbps port). That's close enough to advertised for me. No packet loss, or server hanging any more. FDC has redeemed itself, and Ivan (if you ever deal with him via support ticket), Is a great guy.

What is the output of "mii-tool"? It could be a port issue (full/half duplex). It might also help having them simply change the network cable, or put you on a different switch port.

Quote Originally Posted by jasdavids22 View Post
    Yup. Leave fdc is step. 1
    Can people please stop bashing FDC? Sure, they are no Softlayer in terms of network and hardware quality. But I'm pretty sure there are worse providers out there. I personally at least haven't really had any major issues with FDC that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
    What is the output of "mii-tool"? It could be a port issue (full/half duplex). It might also help having them simply change the network cable, or put you on a different switch port.

Can people please stop bashing FDC? Sure, they are no Softlayer in terms of network and hardware quality. But I'm pretty sure there are worse providers out there. I personally at least haven't really had any major issues with FDC that I can remember.
    I posted above. I already had them re-install a q6600. Problem solved. Server is as responsive as the one I had at softlayer long ago. i still say it was an issue with the original NIC. FDC installed a second NIC, and did not remove the first. It still could have been causing problems if there was a hardware issue. As I said, unixbench, hard drive benchmarks, all worked flawlessly. Hard to believe there was a hardware issue if something that intensive finished without error. It had to be NIC related.
    Last edited by imgcritter; 04-18-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Good to hear that the issue was sorted and that all is fine now

new server just started doing it again. I rebooted the server, and it didnt come back.
    I couldn't su to root shortly before rebooting (but didn't change the root pass). FDC changed the root pass, cleared iptables, and stopped iptables, and now it's doing the same thing again. It must be a configuration issue. Maybe centos x64 is the problem?

What could cause the above issues, configuration wise?

I'm about ready to just have them reinstall 32 bit centos. Things were going good until the reboot.
    Last edited by imgcritter; 04-18-2011 at 11:40 PM.

I will update here for posterity's sake. Anyone having this problem with a dedicated server running centos/fedora or something similar, here is the solution....

temporary:
    ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg off

permanent:
    add
    ETHTOOL_OPTS="autoneg off speed 10 duplex full"
    to
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    this will keep the settings when the card is brought online at boot. ethtool options (permanent) need to be set in that order to be effective.

replace speed 10 with speed 100, or 1000 if you have a 100mbps or 1000mbps (1gbps) port

Hard drive issue, get it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by chasebug View Post
    Hard drive issue, get it replaced.
    It was the issue above. Scroll up

At the same time as the above issue (not coming back from reboot, then having network issues), all of my add-on ip's disappeared in cpanel, and dns went down. I found out that if I run "service network restart" for whatever reason, it kills all my add-on ip's. I have to then do "service ipaliases stop", "service ipaliases start" in order to get them back.

Some really weird things going on here.
    Last edited by imgcritter; 04-19-2011 at 02:20 AM.