Euro VPS w/ routing/peering/speeds to China

Hi!
    I'm looking for a [cheap] VPS provider with good peering or routing to China. Most likely has to be an Eastern European provider - any recommendations? Not really after anything on the West Coast of USSA.

Thanks in advance

[Edit]
    Or Scandinavian?
    Last edited by compadre; 04-16-2011 at 09:20 AM.

what is your requirements on VPS spec and likely your budget?
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

I can imagine there is more than one ISP in China and different ISPs have different routing/peering. Or if it is not the case, please tell us an IP or webserver in China to which we can test speeds.

Just needs to be cheap, talking probably £/$E 30 a month... Specs wise I don't know - enough to handle an FTP, a VPN and like 5 to 20 gbytes storage. More concerned about the hoster to be honest, as I need one with good connections to China [as I said, Eastern Europe and Scandinavia are probably my best bets?] - No US(S)A! XEN or OpenVZ I dont mind..

[edit]
    Bandwidth, 100mbit/s with 300gbyte to unlimited a month.

Essentially, just throw some hosting names out there, and I'll investigate.
    Last edited by compadre; 04-17-2011 at 02:01 PM.

The thing is the fiber optic cables to China come from USA. So someone from eastern europe or scandinavia will have to go through USA to reach China. You can get the best (lowest latency) connection from USA west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    The thing is the fiber optic cables to China come from USA. So someone from eastern europe or scandinavia will have to go through USA to reach China. You can get the best (lowest latency) connection from USA west coast.
    There are some routes via the Red Sea, Mediterranean and the Suez Canal.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

So 80 years of strong communist govts, which still exist today in a less left wing world, have accounted for nothing in terms of communications agreements [especially after the whole cold war thing which really did define "who your mates are" in an international aspect]? :/
    Last edited by compadre; 04-17-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Look at a fiber map.
    For example, https://www.digitalmethods.net/pub/D...glasvegels.jpg
    West Europe is better connected to China than East Europe.
    Amsterdam, London.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Do bear in mind no one map can list every telecom cable, especially seeing as that maps looks like it's undersea only?

Quote Originally Posted by compadre View Post
    So 80 years of strong communist govts, which still exist today in a less left wing world, have accounted for nothing in terms of communications agreements [especially after the whole cold war thing which really did define "who your mates are" in an international aspect]? :/
    It is not just a matter of communication agreements but also circuit capacities and infrastructure investiments.

I suggest you take a look at this article:

Construction of the SJC Cable Underway
    http://www.telecomramblings.com/2011...cable-underway

and this cable map (check/uncheck "future cables"):
    http://www.cablemap.info/

There a lot of planned submarine cable deployments but takes time, money, and politics ...
    Last edited by dotHostel; 04-17-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

I'm aware of the physical infrastructure limitations, I was rather hoping/assuming telecoms links to the world second largest economy and most populous coutry had been developed... it appears my expectations of the 21st century were too high.

So there is no VPS provider with decent "connections" [in all sense of the words here] to China?

If by decent connection you mean stable connection without packet loss - sure, there are many. If you want the lowest possible latency to China though, Europe is not the place to look. Or at least that is my experience.

If by decent connection you mean stable connection without packet loss - sure, there are many. If you want the lowest possible latency to China though, Europe is not the place to look. Or at least that is my experience.
    As long as I can get say a stable 5mbyte/s [out of say 100mbit/s] I'll be happy. Seeing as you're repping FitVPS, how's the speed to China? [Thanks for the link to Greg's Cable Map... I've a fetish for that sort of thing.]

If you expect to have 5 megabytes/sec (40Mbps) on a single TCP stream - this is not going to happen. This depends on the tcp window size and rtt and you can't get big enough tcp window size to do this with a single tcp connection.
    But if you want to test how fast you can download with a single connection from here - try http://88.213.207.3/100M.bin

If you expect to have 5 megabytes/sec (40Mbps) on a single TCP stream - this is not going to happen. This depends on the tcp window size and rtt and you can't get big enough tcp window size to do this with a single tcp connection.
    I've got multiple connections in mind, so largely it's an infrastructure + peering [or routing] restrictions I need to be wary of no?. Having said this, I'm trying to stay on topic, but it's becoming more and more clear I'm not going to get a recommendation in a forum full of competitor and rivals...

As I said, I need a VPS provider based in Eastern Europe/Scandinavia who I am likely to see good speeds to China with.

Hi compadre,

would a Cyprus VPS fit your needs ?
    Leading Data Center Services Provider
    Bare-Metal Dedicated Servers, Cloud & VPS, Colocation, Data Center Managed Services
    https://netshop-isp.com.cy
    sales@netshop-isp.com.cy | Skype: netshopisp

The problem with China are not the connections TO China, but Netcoms/Telecoms Country network, which is extremely oversold (as much as 2000:1 Mbit) and they wont peer/connect to any foreign carriers (some are really waiting with a fiber at the Chinese/Indian border and wait since 15 years that Netcom/Telecom come and connect their fiber)...

40Mbit on a single stream wont happen.
    If you really want a European VPS use some ISP in Frankfurt, DE - China Telecom has 10/20Gbit on DE-CIX.

Quote Originally Posted by EDIS View Post

40Mbit on a single stream wont happen.
    If you really want a European VPS use some ISP in Frankfurt, DE - China Telecom has 10/20Gbit on DE-CIX.
    That's the sort of juicy info I'm after
    Cheers