Thread: .com vesus .net

.com vesus .net

So I have a business and I do some internet consulting type work but I am looking to expand into hosting. I am bad at coming up with names, but I finally found one that I like. One problem the .com is taken. It's just a page of advertisments. I did contact the owner, more out of curiosty more than anything else, they say thay plan on developing the site, but they would consider selling it for no less than 100k...even if i had that kind of money no way I'd spend that much for it.

So my options are find another name with .com avalible or got with .net. What do you think? My initial though was to get .net and .org, as I have non-profit clients I work with I could use the ,.org for my non-profit specific hosting packages, and use the .net for the main hosting service. My main concern though is my target users are not real tech-savvy, so part of me is afraid they will just goto .com, see the ads think i no longer exist and move on to another provider. Do you think this is accurate or am I not giving my potential users enough credit?
    Last edited by Ryan524; 04-16-2011 at 03:20 AM.

If you are getting traffic through direct methods means not organic search then .com does not big matter. As visitors will be familiar with other domain extension but if getting customers through organic search result then will have to do some seo to get your site in top result with other extension. According to me .net and .org is the best option.

there is no problem to getting .net domain. If you do some SEO work the .net also can give you more earning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan524 View Post
    So I have a business and I do some internet consulting type work but I am looking to expand into hosting. I am bad at coming up with names, but I finally found one that I like. One problem the .com is taken. It's just a page of advertisments. I did contact the owner, more out of curiosty more than anything else, they say thay plan on developing the site, but they would consider selling it for no less than 100k...even if i had that kind of money no way I'd spend that much for it.

So my options are find another name with .com avalible or got with .net. What do you think? My initial though was to get .net and .org, as I have non-profit clients I work with I could use the ,.org for my non-profit specific hosting packages, and use the .net for the main hosting service. My main concern though is my target users are not real tech-savvy, so part of me is afraid they will just goto .com, see the ads think i no longer exist and move on to another provider. Do you think this is accurate or am I not giving my potential users enough credit?

Yea.. I agree with Aabid. No matter if its .com or .net if you do proper SEO

Not sure why everyones talking about SEO as the tld should have no affect on that. I'm simply concerned with how user fiendly a .net is, will I have users forggetying its .net and typing .com instead?
    Last edited by Ryan524; 04-17-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Not sure why everyones talking about SEO as the tld should have no affect on that. I'm simply concerned with how user fiendly a .net is, will I have users forggetying its .net and typing .com instead?
    that happens sometimes. maybe you could buy both of them, use .com as the main domain and redirect .net to .com.
    Sajid Iftekhar - Web Design Portfolio

He said that the person wouldn't sell it for less than 100k. I would say that if .net then try to integrate it into your name so that rather than people thinks 'mydomain' and going to 'mydomain.com', you actually call yourself 'mydomain.net' so that there is no (or little) confusion.

Find a simpler type-in domain with a .com extension.

Then you could give that out to those people but redirect it to the .net that you want to grab.

It's a good decision to ignore their offer for that domain. You can use .net or .org extension 'coz it still works the same. A website's profit doesn't just depend on the domain but on the person behind it. There are lot of domains out there with .net and .org extensions and they profit more from a .com ones.

100k !!!
    i encourage you go for other domain name such as .org .biz .co and so on . Or you even can take the domain name with country domain name.
    I know they have some advantages of .com but if you come to SEO , other TLD domain still able to beat down the .com domain name. More important is your keyword in the domain will cause you take large advantages.

Com always will be best solution, if you are doing for any time of business.

com (commercial) is better and .net (network) usually 4 ur network
    Resellerid.com
    Cheap & Powerfull Reseller Domain

RESELLERID.COM | Affordable Domain Solution
    Reseller your domain and making profit

I think you have already provided the perfect solution for your dilemma. Internet Consulting and Hosting will work perfectly on the net, whilst your non-profit business would work perfectly on the .org. Although if the only real difference is the client-base, I wouldn't split it between two domains. I'd still get both and redirect one to the other.

As an aside. I very much doubt that the .com domain is worth $100k with the .net and .org still available. What does Estibot.com say it's worth.

There will always be some spill over to the .com, but it can be minimized with good seo. Which is why I think people mentioned it, not because of the extension.

But there are other alternatives. You mention you are not very good at dreaming up domain names. Have you looked at GoDaddy Auctions? They have millions of domains for sale. Plugging in a few keywords (like host) would give you many results. I'm sure you could find a good .com domain for a reasonable price <$100. You might even find one in their closeout section for $1.
    Signature Under Construction.

I prefer .com over .net as most of the users just type the website name and press ctrl+enter which in turns make it as www______.com

yourself 'mydomain.net' so that there is no (or little) confusion.
    really good idea.

I see your dilemma but with what other people have said you need to get the brand out there and people used to it. as someone else said there will always be a spill for the non savvy users but most will see an add, or when searching will read the description and hopefully click on your one.

It seems there will be a new era with domains, because there are so many out there with different extensions it might be an idea to get a domain name where the extension makes the itself i.e. www.youtu.be. at lease then your being forward thinking and people will refer to your site directly by the name and not the extension.

hope this helps.
    Wahid
    Domains | Web Hosting | SSL | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Cloud and more
    www.123-reg.co.uk | www.webfusion.co.uk/.com/.es

.com beats .net

find a new domain with .com

NEVER use a .net or .org

You will be bleeding most of the traffic to the .com

For internet and hosting related websites a .net domain fits well, especially if it's a short domain name with a distinctive keyword.

Tom Tomson
    IP.MN - the fast and easy way to check your IP Number

If you're a blogger, it might be a good thing to use .net as it make u a lil more special. It does come with a price too, some ppl dunno what's a .net.
    http://********.com.my
    Malaysia Number 1 hosting company

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Allen View Post
    If you're a blogger, it might be a good thing to use .net as it make u a lil more special. It does come with a price too, some ppl dunno what's a .net.
    I've always liked the .net but .com is what people tend to type in. For my blog I got both .com and .net and 301 redirect the .com
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

.com is popular. But .net is for networking sites and yet it is popular too. Its not possible to compare with .com and .net directly, different TLDs different purposes...

As a web hosting provider, a .com is a MUST get. Even when you let all your users familiar with the .net or .org, they will still venture into the .com and the general idea is a host which cannot secure a .com is not a serious host.

I think you should try your creative best with something more appealing and of course with a .com availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    I've always liked the .net but .com is what people tend to type in. For my blog I got both .com and .net and 301 redirect the .com

Hmm, good one, perhaps I shud get a .net as well.
    Im now using 2 domains, the old one pointing to the new one, as the new one has better branding impact. However, if I would to get a new one, would be an extra cost.
    http://********.com.my
    Malaysia Number 1 hosting company