Thumbs down Review: StableHost in Europe

Hi everyone,

I am looking for Europe based hosts, and remembered about Stable Host, where I host a friend's site. I asked myself, why I am not getting another account from them and found the answer. Here is a brief review:

To start with, I found them here more than a year ago while they were giving special promotions to WHT customers, and chose them b/c they had servers in Europe.

Positive:
    • Order process and account setup was pretty quick.
    • Support were quick and accurate the few times we asked them - all were simple issues.

Negative:
    • Servers are not fast: at times, they would really get sluggish. But, since this was a low profile site, we didn't bother changing hosts.
    • One thing that annoyed me most, though, was the fact that they change(d) servers (IP included) way too often. We started out at hostname CP02-eu and we are now on CP08-eu. The worst part is, they didn't ask us to update our DNS except once - except when they changed from 02 to 03.

It is only after my friend notices that his site is down and we contacted them that they informed us of the changes.

All in all, my conclusion is that StableHost doesn't seem stable enough yet, at least in Europe. And, either they don't know well what they are doing (considering external DNS isn't that hard, is it?) or they don't think anyone uses them for "serious stuff".

Hope this is perceived as a constructive feedback on their side, and that customers -especially those looking for servers in Europe - know what to expect.

Cheers.

Wow -- I'm not sure what to say about this. We never get complaints about Europe.

What is your domain name? I'd like to look into your tickets and see what happened. I assume you were getting rate limited by CloudLinux as we're not anywhere close to being full on cp08-eu.

As far as changing IPs, it sounds like you started using us when we just started offering shared hosting in Europe. At first, we moved providers twice because we weren't happy with the level of support we were getting. We've been with the same provider now for a year and a half. Anytime we would move, we would give people atleast a 1-2 week heads up, there was 3 emails that got sent out for every migration.

Once again, I'd really like to look into your issue so please provide your domain name so I can research it for you and get back to you.
    Last edited by stablehost; 04-15-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Hi Nerdie,

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried to PM you my domain name but couldn't - may be b/c I don't have many posts here. Here are some ticket IDs though: 285882 & 392137

As I said, they were replied to soon enough - but shouldn't have come to that in the first place!

You also said, you notified 1-2 weeks in advance. The notification for cp02 to cp03, for instance, was sent on Feb 9 with the subject
    cp02-eu.stablehost.com - Hardware Upgrades
    and another email was sent on Feb 11 with the subject
    cp02-eu -> cp03-eu migration is complete!
    The slowness I experienced is with the servers cp02-eu to cp04-eu, while I was still working on the site. Can't say much about cp08's speed ATM (don't want to mislead others IF things have changed.)

Hello -

You signed up on Feb 9th, which is why you didn't receive any prior communication about it.

It looks like we did give you 48 hours to change your IP, even though you signed up on the day of the migration.

We always encourage our customers to use our DNS to prevent things like this, however we do our best to give our customers as much notice as possible that the IP will be changing to give them time.

I don't see any tickets here that we moved you to a different server without letting you know in advance. Do you know if that was the case?

I see you are still a customer -- I would like to work out any speed issues you have, please open up a support ticket and escalate it to management so we can work with you on it.
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Hello -

You signed up on Feb 9th, ...
    Ok, I withdraw my comment in my previous post (I wouldn't know whether you notified earlier on not). Sorry for that. I also want to correct one thing: I just found another email when you notified us of a change - May last year.

But, the ticket IDs I gave above have nothing to do with these. They are for the moves in Sept & Nov - for which we didn't receive any notice (to the best of my knowledge). Both times, we had to contact you b/c my friend noticed that his site was unreachable all of a sudden. Both times, you said our DNS should be updated.

I'll raise a ticket once I have confirmed with my friend (the owner).

NOTE
    I am not venting/ranting, and that site is going to stay with you.

bye for now
    Last edited by buntu; 04-15-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buntu View Post
    Ok, I withdraw my comment in my previous post (I wouldn't know whether you notified earlier on not). Sorry for that. I also want to correct one thing: I just found another email when you notified us of a change - May last year.

But, the ticket IDs I gave above have nothing to do with these. They are for the moves in Sept & Nov - for which we didn't receive any notice (to the best of my knowledge). Both times, we had to contact you b/c my friend noticed that his site was unreachable all of a sudden. Both times, you said our DNS should be updated.

I'll raise a ticket once I have confirmed with my friend (the owner).

NOTE
    I am not venting/ranting, and that site is going to stay with you.

bye for now
    You were emailed on 08/27/2010 09:59 and 08/28/2010 07:08 regarding the Sept (Moving to our new provider) move and 11/02/2010 08:18 and 11/04/2010 08:10 and 11/05/2010 22:26 for the November move (Hardware failure)

I'm a bit confused, you keep saying this is your friends account. Are you writing this review on behalf of your friend or did you have this experience with us? Bad reviews are something we take very seriously. We would like to call your friend on the phone to talk about his bad experiences with us and get more details.

Thank you.

@ Buntu,

Im a customer my self at stablehost (You can read my review of them), and Im on the server you mentioned (cp08-eu).

The "sluggish" server you are refering to, is that cp08-eu ?
    - If so, I have never had any issues with that server (or any of the other their other servers).
    Server spec wise, it is the best server we've been on so far (its a beast)!

About the DNS issue.
    I've allways gotten notice ahead of time (IP / Serverchange), maybe the email got lost en "junk" ?

Hope you get your "problems" solved, because you wont find a better company than stablehost!

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanni View Post
    @ Buntu,

Im a customer my self at stablehost (You can read my review of them), and Im on the server you mentioned (cp08-eu).

- If so, I have never had any issues with that server (or any of the other their other servers).
    Server spec wise, it is the best server we've been on so far (its a beast)!

About the DNS issue.
    I've allways gotten notice ahead of time (IP / Serverchange), maybe the email got lost en "junk" ?

Hope you get your "problems" solved, because you wont find a better company than stablehost!

+1

I was on their EU server but switched to US. Didn't have any problems. I am with them for almost 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    I'm a bit confused, you keep saying this is your friends account. Are you writing this review on behalf of your friend or did you have this experience with us? Bad reviews are something we take very seriously.
    I also hope you take them seriously, as that will hopefully give you a chance to see if there is any room for improvement. Regarding the question, let me try once more: the owner of the site and the hosting account is my friend, but I worked on it. So, yes, I experienced it first hand, and am writing it on MY OWN behalf. Consider it like commenting about a hardware/furniture/car you used at work but don't own it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdanni View Post
    @ Buntu,
    I mentioned cp08-eu only to elaborate how often we have been moved. In post 3, I also wrote:
    The slowness I experienced is with the servers cp02-eu to cp04-eu, while I was still working on the site. Can't say much about cp08's speed ATM (don't want to mislead others IF things have changed.)
    As I said, I don't work on it that often now - I only jump in when needed (like when the site was inaccessible during those changes).

About the DNS issue.
    That's a possibility, but a low one as the others made it through.

Quote Originally Posted by zvjezdan View Post
    +1

I was on their EU server but switched to US. Didn't have any problems. I am with them for almost 2 years.
    Glad it is working well for you. I only mentioned the positives and negatives I EXPERIENCED. I can't say anything about their US service.
    Last edited by buntu; 04-16-2011 at 12:27 PM.