Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RockstarVPS: Not recommended at all.

Someone closed my thread, because I didn't communicate with RockstarVPS?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1040276

Even more ridiculous.

Here's their reply:

Hello,
    We do not bypass the fraud prevention system for anyone for any reason. Attempting to sign up multiple times or trying to use a proxy / vpn to sign up will be detected and will result in a permanent ban from using our services. Unfortunately there are some countries which have high rates of illegal activities and / or law enforcement which will not cooperate with US authorities so we do not allow clients from them.

You can be denied access to our network for a variety of reasons such as:

- living in a country with a high rate of abuse / fraud
    - attempting to sign up for multiple accounts
    - attempting to sign up again after being denied
    - using false information in the client sign up process
    - using a proxy or vpn to connect to our system
    - sharing an isp w/ persons who have been terminated for fraud / abuse
    - presenting a risk of fraud and / or abuse in the judgment of our admins

Regards,
    RockstarVPS Support

Regards,
    RockstarVPS Support
    If there is a guy know me, then he knows I live in US, I never use any proxy, I never provide false information.

- living in a country with a high rate of abuse / fraud
    I assume you meant China, but unfortunately, I'm Chinese, but I'm not in China.

- attempting to sign up for multiple accounts
    I swear to God I signed up 1 account.

- attempting to sign up again after being denied
    That's a false reasoning, did you see my name in your WHMCS twice?

- using false information in the client sign up process
    I said it above.

- using a proxy or vpn to connect to our system
    So you mean Comcast cable is "proxy" or "vpn"?

- sharing an isp w/ persons who have been terminated for fraud / abuse
    I assume you're insulting Comcast.

- presenting a risk of fraud and / or abuse in the judgment of our admins
    I would say, you guys are idiots.

I found out there are more negative reviews about RockstarVPS:

This is a big one, changing TOS to protect themselves: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=rockstarvps
    This is even more ridiculous, non-exist domain? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=rockstarvps

You can go to https://www.nic.cd, to check my domain Listen.CD. This domain is registered by a guy named Jerry Chen, and company is "Smart-Decision.org"

Did I make myself clear?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 7.31.11 AM.png   Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 7.31.01 AM.png   Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 7.30.53 AM.png   Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 4.29.32 PM.png  
      0 Not allowed!

Don't worry, just wait until the rockstar guys find this thread and yell at you for being fraudsters.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Don't worry, just wait until the rockstar guys find this thread and yell at you for being fraudsters.

So I'm a fraudster?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrychenme View Post
    So I'm a fraudster?
    of course not, that's just what they do in literally every single thread regarding rockstar that isn't completely positive
      0 Not allowed!

They aren't saying they denied your account for all those reasons, those were just some of the reasons they deny accounts for.
    A group of non-conformists conforming to nonconformity.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bkil View Post
    They aren't saying they denied your account for all those reasons, those were just some of the reasons they deny accounts for.
    None of those applies.
      0 Not allowed!

Updated:

For whatever reason, Maxmind did not approve your order. I'm sorry but that has nothing to do with us other than we do not approve orders that fail Maxmind.

Regards,
    RockstarVPS Support
    Well, I'm sorry, the following VPS providers never had that problem:
    YardVPS
    IntoVPS
    All Simple (UK)
    OneXenVPS
    GarmanOnline
    NordicVPS
    Liteserver.nl
    ClubUptime
    Virpus (This is an exception)
    Fanatical VPS
    123Systems
    Thrust VPS
    Vazapi
    (And more)

Those providers never had any complains on my information. Not even a word about abusing or being fraud.

So, what's in your mind?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 5.05.16 PM.png  
      0 Not allowed!

Two questions:

* Did you pay them anything for the services you did not receive?
    * Did you ask them about what MaxMind score you received, what their threshold is for orders being considered as fraud, and what MaxMind flagged up about you as potentially fraudulent?

The second is particularly important, as a lot of hosts here use MaxMind. Granted, you've been with a few hosts and so it's likely their system has a low tolerance for fraud orders, but it'll still be helpful to you as you'll know what part of your order data could potentially cause you problems in future. Given they're using WHMCS, all they have to do is look up your order and send you the data from it.

If they're going to reject your legitimate business, then there's nothing you really can do but move on and learn why MaxMind failed you. From my own experience, it's very reliable if configured well.

Just my two cents.
      0 Not allowed!

RockstarVPS has had quite a few bad reviews...their owner is also childish and immature.

I would go with a more reliable, stable provider such as ClubUptime. That's where my VPS is at, and I have had no more than 5 minutes of downtime since I signed up in February. The downtime was when they migrated everything to their new nodes, and when I messed up configuring LiteSpeed.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CI-Theo View Post
    Two questions:

* Did you pay them anything for the services you did not receive?
    * Did you ask them about what MaxMind score you received, what their threshold is for orders being considered as fraud, and what MaxMind flagged up about you as potentially fraudulent?

The second is particularly important, as a lot of hosts here use MaxMind. Granted, you've been with a few hosts and so it's likely their system has a low tolerance for fraud orders, but it'll still be helpful to you as you'll know what part of your order data could potentially cause you problems in future. Given they're using WHMCS, all they have to do is look up your order and send you the data from it.

If they're going to reject your legitimate business, then there's nothing you really can do but move on and learn why MaxMind failed you. From my own experience, it's very reliable if configured well.

Just my two cents.
    1. First month free
    2. No, they didn't tell me any proof.
      0 Not allowed!

1. First month free
    2. No, they didn't tell me any proof.
    1. Phew!
    2. Contact their department and get them to look at your order if that's the last thing they do for you. I'm just saying that this might be very helpful to you if this happens again: MaxMind is merely an algorithm that combines factors in your order such as your IP's distance from the address you're claiming to order from in order to produce a risk rating.

Best of luck!
      0 Not allowed!

1. Phew!
    2. Contact their department and get them to look at your order if that's the last thing they do for you. I'm just saying that this might be very helpful to you if this happens again: MaxMind is merely an algorithm that combines factors in your order such as your IP's distance from the address you're claiming to order from in order to produce a risk rating.

Best of luck!
    Based on past reviews/posts on WHT, I doubt they would've refunded him if he had paid anything.
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Good luck, and this is well known with them... Theres been plenty of reviews about this act, and problem. I would just go with another provider and don't worry about it.

They will come here and tell you of every little thing you did wrong, when really there might not of been nothing you did wrong?

I love
    FusionNET Solutions - US/UK Locations | Adult/IRC Allowed! | DDoS Protected Networks!
    Fusion Powered: Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Dedicated Servers | Native IPv6 Available!
    202-505-HOST | LiteSpeed Support! | Live Web Chat!
      0 Not allowed!

I recommend http://blockscript.com to them and let them go * themselves.

Offensive language is my favor when it is necessary.
      0 Not allowed!

Someone closed my thread, because I didn't communicate with RockstarVPS?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1040276

Even more ridiculous.
    Really? Because you think that WHT is the Rockstar support queue?

You need to take this up with them through their system, not immediately come here and post without giving them the opportunity to help you through the ticketing system, since no one here can help you.
    </thread>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkil View Post
    Correct. We did not accuse this guy of anything. We provided an explanation for possible reasons why it could be flagged. However, what flagged him as nothing to do with us. We use MaxMind to screen all new orders. We get a ton of orders from China, Jakarta, Russia. We have to use a system to filter out legit orders. If there is an issue with MaxMind, you need to take it up with them.

learn why MaxMind failed you.
    Exactly right. MaxMind has nothing to do with us. They provide the score, and we approve or deny accounts based on that score.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanP View Post
    I doubt they would've refunded him if he had paid anything.
    You have to actually pay something to get refunded.
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 04-16-2011 at 02:05 AM.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | 1500 CLASS-A/B/C | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING
    RESIDENTIAL IPS | 10G UNMETERED | IPV4 SOLUTION PROVIDER SINCE 2008
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post
    Really? Because you think that WHT is the Rockstar support queue?

Ah, I get it. Get one thread closed, open up another.

Correct. We did not accuse this guy of anything. We provided an explanation for possible reasons why it could be flagged. However, what flagged him as nothing to do with us. We use MaxMind to screen all new orders.

Exactly right. MaxMind has nothing to do with us. They provide the score, and we approve or deny accounts based on that score.

You have to actually pay something to get refunded.
    I did not pay for anything, that's one.

Do you mind to take a screenshot of the MaxMind score?
      0 Not allowed!

I did not pay for anything, that's one.
    That is correct. You were not denied a service you paid for.

Do you mind to take a screenshot of the MaxMind score?
    This is something you could have easily asked for in a support ticket, and does not require WHT thread to request. According to MaxMind report...

the phone number supplied by the user is not located within the zip code of the billing address for the credit card
      0 Not allowed!

At the time the OP placed his order the domain name he listed came up as a non existent domain. Checking now it was registered on 4/13 so I can only guess it wasn't showing up in the system yet on 4/14 when the order was placed.

If he were to order again he would pass the test.

We do run Maxmind on a strict setting for the free month promo, this is due to the massive amount of fraud and abuse attempts we get. Over 90 % of our orders for the free promo can't even pass a basic Maxmind test (IP matches location, no proxy, contact info actually filled out).

I keep reading how we've had "tons of negative threads" when we've had two that I can count - 1 from a user who was terminated for abuse (and given a refund anyway) and a complaint thread of people who didn't pass the basic Maxmind test (every one of whom couldn't be bothered to fill out a valid name and address in the order).

We have premium network providers who require us to prevent abuse and I won't apologize for trying to do so. I will apologize to the OP but I hope he understands why his order was rejected and that it's not some personal effort on our part to deny him service.

We've signed up plenty of people today who passed the Maxmind check. It amazes me how angry people get when they can't get a free VPS. I wish I could post some of the support tickets we get detailing how it's our God given duty to hand out free VPS accounts regardless of fraud risks.
      0 Not allowed!

That is correct. You were not denied a service you paid for.

This is something you could have easily asked for in a support ticket, and does not require WHT thread to request. According to MaxMind report...
    No No No, first month is free, your reason is not a valid reason at all.

Oh, I want it to be public, that's one.

Third, area code 510 is:
    North American area code 510 is a California telephone area code which covers most eastern Bay Area cities in Alameda County (including the city of Oakland but excluding Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, and Sunol), and western Contra Costa County.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_510
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, I want it to be public, that's one.
    Ah. So you want drama over something that has nothing to do with us, but with your own MaxMind fraud scoring based on the information you provided? I see.

Third, area code 510 is:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_510
    I see your link, and raise you the correct place to vent your anger.
    http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccv
      0 Not allowed!

At the time the OP placed his order the domain name he listed came up as a non existent domain. Checking now it was registered on 4/13 so I can only guess it wasn't showing up in the system yet on 4/14 when the order was placed.
    Maybe you forget something called "timezone"?
    .cd is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cd

If he were to order again he would pass the test.
    That would be violating your TOS, I'm not that stupid.

We do run Maxmind on a strict setting for the free month promo, this is due to the massive amount of fraud and abuse attempts we get. Over 90 % of our orders for the free promo can't even pass a basic Maxmind test (IP matches location, no proxy, contact info actually filled out).
    This is nonsense, skip.

I keep reading how we've had "tons of negative threads" when we've had two that I can count - 1 from a user who was terminated for abuse (and given a refund anyway) and a complaint thread of people who didn't pass the basic Maxmind test (every one of whom couldn't be bothered to fill out a valid name and address in the order).
    Nonsense.

We have premium network providers who require us to prevent abuse and I won't apologize for trying to do so. I will apologize to the OP but I hope he understands why his order was rejected and that it's not some personal effort on our part to deny him service.
    Then I want the MaxMind score shown in public, not through ticket system.

We've signed up plenty of people today who passed the Maxmind check. It amazes me how angry people get when they can't get a free VPS. I wish I could post some of the support tickets we get detailing how it's our God given duty to hand out free VPS accounts regardless of fraud risks.
    You're saying I'm a fraudster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 11.14.24 PM.png  
      0 Not allowed!

Ah. So you want drama over something that has nothing to do with us, but with your own MaxMind fraud scoring based on the information you provided? I see.

I see your link, and raise you the correct place to vent your anger.
    http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccv
    Don't play word games, just show the score.

Second, don't give a
    the phone number supplied by the user is not located within the zip code of the billing address for the credit card
    and then
    I don't listen to BS. All I know is area code 510 is applied to almost the whole bay area.

As I mentioned above, those providers never had this problem with me. How come RockstarVPS is having this issue with me? As a person living in the United States, the land of justice, am I going to let this unjust treatment stay with me?
      0 Not allowed!

The only relevant thing in last post...

You're saying I'm a fraudster.
    "We", being RockstarVPS, are saying no such thing. We simply ran MaxMind and it flagged you as phone number does not match your location. Take this up with MaxMind. The domain you provided also was not registered at the time you had signed up, so at the time you were declined, there was nothing to cross check your order against (as you previously cited in this thread).

While I am sure this seems like a monumental issue worthy of two WHT threads now started by you, the fact is this has nothing to do with us. We run a MaxMind fraud check on all new orders, and if you can't pass it we do not give you service. We clearly mention this in our promotional postings that this is a factor for new sign ups (i.e. fraud check).

It really is that simple.
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 04-16-2011 at 02:33 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

How come RockstarVPS is having this issue with me?
    MaxMind, not Rockstar.

As a person living in the United States, the land of justice, am I going to let this unjust treatment stay with me?
    What exactly is unjust here?

If you apply for a credit card, bank loan, among other things in this country the creditor runs some sort of credit or fraud check. Just like we do. If you do not pass the fraud/credit check, you do not get the service. By comparison, if your credit report is wrong, you take it up with the credit bureau. Not the bank.

Again, this has nothing to do with us. If you want to cite area codes, and the other examples, you need to direct that to MaxMind for them to update their system if it is wrong. This is nothing that we control.
    Last edited by BlazingSwitch; 04-16-2011 at 02:36 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast