hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : External Mail Server For Cpanel?

Forum Jump

External Mail Server For Cpanel?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Junior Guru

External Mail Server For Cpanel?

I was looking and i was wondering if it was possable to set up an external mail server, just as you would with their DNS system. Also, in your opinnion do you think that once a larger ammount of clientel is on the server that that would help with server load?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

You'll need to figure a way how to manage email account administration on the external mail server, since that isn't supported by cPanel.

When you move mail store, mail server and mail antispam externally it helps a lot with performance/server load.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Junior Guru

oh ok. Do you know of any way to use those on a different server since as you say it isnt supported by cpaneL?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Old School

Are you saying you'd like a secondary server for, say, backup MX? Because that can be done with DNS clustering/load balancing.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Web Hosting Master

If you want to reduce the load and you have a lot of inbound email have you considered something to scan your email for spam? An external box like baracuda or spamexperts would cut out a huge part of the inbound email you receive.

There is no simple way of getting a second server and hosting email on it in a "cluster" setup with cPanel.

www.eth0.us - Server Admin Info

Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth00 View Post
There is no simple way of getting a second server and hosting email on it in a "cluster" setup with cPanel.
I'm really not trying to sound like an @ss- really, I'm not, but I don't seem to be having an issue. It may not be supported, but I spent enough time on it. Perhaps I'm thinking more along the line of a secondary MX rather than what the OP is trying to do and I'm just not clear on his request.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Junior Guru

i'm really confused tbh

Old 04-16-2011, 02:27 AM
Eternal Learner

We are developing our own Hosting panel using cpanel api. In it we are using Cpanel for hosting and a custom developed postfix based email server on another system. We have setup it in such a way that the mail domain is not setup on cpanel server and only the hosting is done and the mail domain is setup in the mail server. So, it is very much possible if you develop your own panel using cpanel and using some logic.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.