Thumbs up can a social networking site could be hosted using hosting services

dont imagine facebook or twitter with this question my question is for starters ... very small social networking site

and initially how much database will be needed (eg 10gb or 100gb)

and also comment on all the initial thing we will be required in starting process....

Yes, it is possible to host a social networking site on a shared hosting environment, however it is not advisable as it is a social networking website it should technically grow. As soon as the social networking site grows you will be forced to use VPS and Dedicated servers and grow from that point on. Take a look at twitter for example and their growth; regardless if you want to imagine twitter or facebook they are a good example.

To answer your second question, to start it depends on how many initial users you are expecting. Overtime this may need to change. This change could come over years or in a matter of hours. As far as all the initial things you will be required to start the process I do recommend you do some general research. It sounds great to make your own social networking website however its not as easy as we make it seem. Somethings you need to look into is the name, who will join in the beginning, where are you getting the financial requirements when/if it grows, and much more.

Best of look on your future endeavours
    Last edited by Nusitu; 04-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Nusitu.com - Web Hosting and Domain Name Services
    Shared Web Hosting | Reseller Web Hosting | Domain Name Services Since 2004
    cPanel | WHM | Fantastico | Clean Domain Management and more
    website: www.Nusitu.com | email: vwong@nusitu.com | Toll Free: 877 579 4552

so wat u think ..what should be the size of database for 1st 3 months
    it is for colg students ! mostlly

Naved,

If this social networking site is going to be built for college students of an individual college and you expect 100-200 users, a 10-20gb database should suffice for the first 3 months, however this is an estimate and may be different depending on how the script and database is being used. Remember that as more users and more content is added from the individual users the database will grow.

Other things you will need to look into is web space; in your social networking website are you allowing people to upload images and videos? if so; what is the limit per user. There are many more factors you will need to look into.

It actually depends on how many users will be there in your social networking. Obviously, if users are increasing then the size of database will increase.

so what u guyz think ( i m in india)
    so what should be the ( i m asking abt only website developing not any webhosting nor any other thing ) just a website where every thing is limited right from uploading photos to sending friend request as we are just a starters ....so what should be the cost of developing this kind of website

we have a budget of 130$ (in india 1$ = 45 inr) so what u think will this amount will be sufficient just for making "social networking website" ???
    we are engg. students

Quote Originally Posted by naved View Post
    we have a budget of 130$ (in india 1$ = 45 inr) so what u think will this amount will be sufficient just for making "social networking website" ???
    You can look at software such as Handshakes from DZOIC to get you started.
    GG Web Hosting
    Backup, Digital (SSL) Certificates, Domains, Hosting, Privacy Policy, Software
    S/W: Peel Ads, Softaculous, WHMCS Addons (Abuse Mon., Affiliate Peel Ads, Client Stat., Ord. Prevention, Ord. Stat., Softaculous NOC, Sys. Cleanup)
    Authorized Reseller Program

I am sorry, this seems to have just went to an entirely different discussion. Are you inquiring about the cost to develop and design the social networking site?

Quote Originally Posted by Nusitu View Post
    I am sorry, this seems to have just went to an entirely different discussion. Are you inquiring about the cost to develop and design the social networking site?
    Perhaps I interpreted the part I quoted in my last reply wrong, but that's what I thought was meant by it.
    GG Web Hosting
    Backup, Digital (SSL) Certificates, Domains, Hosting, Privacy Policy, Software
    S/W: Peel Ads, Softaculous, WHMCS Addons (Abuse Mon., Affiliate Peel Ads, Client Stat., Ord. Prevention, Ord. Stat., Softaculous NOC, Sys. Cleanup)
    Authorized Reseller Program

Quote Originally Posted by GGWH-James View Post
    Perhaps I interpreted the part I quoted in my last reply wrong, but that's what I thought was meant by it.
    You are correct as to what you were quoting, I was referring to the OP's topic change within this thread.