what language is best for writing Windows Apps?

Hello,

We have a little competition at work where we have to come up with tools that are helpful with day to day troubleshooting. I'm thinking of writing a tool app for Windows, I'm not familiar with programming so which language should I start looking into?

Thanks!!!

Hello,

I'd definitely look at c# or vb since you're new to the whole programming scene. There are a lot of resources online for this as well.

You could also take a look at python (route i'd go) using http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ library. There is a lot of resources online for this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cselzer View Post
    Hello,

I'd definitely look at c# or vb since you're new to the whole programming scene. There are a lot of resources online for this as well.

You could also take a look at python (route i'd go) using http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ library. There is a lot of resources online for this as well.
    Yes, vb would be the best for new programmers

VB is quite simple once you understand the logic behind it. Also since you're new at programming, just try doing this... think like a ROBOT. Follow it line by line, do not jump, do not try to comprehend, just follow... if you hit a roadblock, most likely your program will too.

That's usually what I told all my students previously when I was teaching. LOL.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

VB is great for new programmers and with visual basic 2010 express you don't need to buy the full Visual Studio.

I recomend you to look into C# despite of vb looks simpler but C# code is more readable and will help you to switch to Java or php easly later if you decide to.

C#. It's where Microsoft's mind share is these days. If you're going to learn, I would learn C#. One nice benefit is that there is some C# support in the Linux world as well through Mono.

Nothing wrong with vb, though vb.net is a bit more complicated than the old vb 6 days from what I read...I'm not a vb guy so I don't personally know.

+1 for C#
    I use it and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    C#. It's where Microsoft's mind share is these days. If you're going to learn, I would learn C#. One nice benefit is that there is some C# support in the Linux world as well through Mono.

Nothing wrong with vb, though vb.net is a bit more complicated than the old vb 6 days from what I read...I'm not a vb guy so I don't personally know.
    Beyond syntax, there's not much difference between VB.NET and C# for the most part.

I would agree with most other posters here. .NET (VB.NET or C#) is definitely the way to go. There are free versions of Visual Studio available (Express versions), it's fairly easy to get started, and there are more tutorials and samples than you can shake a stick at.

An added advantage is that since C# and VB.NET both compile to the same IL code, you can convert samples from one to the other with a number of online converters. This means that you have code samples from two very large communities both at your disposal.

Yes C# is the best.
    DoHost.US Real affordable Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting | WHM\Master Reseller| Shared web hosting | Domain register Reseller.
    5 Years in business. USA and France Locations, 24/7 Service live watch
    DoHost.us Where to Do Host.

I agree with the majority. VB and/or C#.

C# is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Scene5 View Post
    Hello,

We have a little competition at work where we have to come up with tools that are helpful with day to day troubleshooting. I'm thinking of writing a tool app for Windows, I'm not familiar with programming so which language should I start looking into?

Thanks!!!
    Generally the trend is for companies to move away from desktop apps to web apps, does your tool have to run on windows or would it work equally well as a web app?

IF you have some background experience with programming and you love it then go for C#, otherwise go for VB. Both can be used to achieve your goal but C# is a little more complex than VB if you are learning to program.

I can only repeat what people have said here really. VB.Net or C#.Net really.

Both are pretty simple to use.... and the best thing is that .NET does so much for you... which really does speed up the development time. There are so many libraries which make connecting to databases.... threading.... creating sockets, etc really simple and easy to understand... plus there is so much documentation out there.

i think VB language is the best option. the main benefit of this language is that the logic behind it is easy to understand.

VB or C# is the best In my honest opinion.

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I'll take a look at VB and C#.

Go for C#. VB is used less than C# and I'd argue that C# is as easy to learn as VB.

Choosing a programming language depends on your language experience and the scope of the application you are building. While mini applications are generally created application alone one language, it is not uncommon to develop large applications using multiple languages.

@OP do you have an update on what you're looking in to?

I recommend C# as it is much more efficient than java and runs faster.

VB is best for beginners.

If your basics are clear like C and C++ then I would like to suggest you to go for C# because it is easy to understand and you can build robust applications using C#. In future if you want to switch from windows application to web application like asp and php then C# is best option have designed my website << removed >> using C# and Asp.net
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-24-2011 at 10:09 AM.

C# or VB would be better for writing Windows Apps, but C# is more complex when compared to VB.

Post c

c is the best language to use in windows apps

C# and .NET framework is now the gold standard for programmers on Windows.

Delphi all the way ... but that language is starting to show it's age

I find vb.net is the easyist to get apps done with.